Stenhousemuir v Raith Rovers

Shame for Robbie and hope he's OK but I wonder what would have happened if the same thing happened up the other end with Raith chasing the game?

That's right they would have been savage and scored from an indirect free kick.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Wee Bar before the game, I said I'd be delighted to have picked up a point but my goodness, that was a sore one to take. Losing a 93rd-minute equaliser is always going to be horrendous but the goal was such a calamity, especially how steadfast we'd been prior. I hope we don't look back at this, the draw at East Fife and the 2-2 stalemate with Dumbarton back in December, three games in which we conceded last-minute equalisers, as definitive moments in the season.

I thought we were the better team for long spells, particularly in the first half and the midpoint of the second when we scored our goal. Our 3-5-2 got the better of Raith Rovers' 4-4-1-1 - Mark McGuigan beat David McKay to every ball and with Greg Hurst buzzing around off him, moving from flank to flank, we really seemed to cause them bother. We had more bodies in the middle of the park, with Connor McBrearty snapping around, and our three-man defence meant that any time Kevin Nisbet did get a break of the ball, someone would be there to clean up. The goal was great, with Ruaridh Donaldson's long clearing header suddenly putting Stenny in a two-on-one situation - Hurst clipped the ball to McGuigan to deftly lift it over Robbie Thomson and into the net.

As others have mentioned, Hurst's substitution saw us lose some of our energy up front and McGuigan became a little isolated as the team dropped deeper. Was he injured? If not, it didn't make sense to take him off as he'd been fantastic. Regardless, I couldn't really see us conceding. The Rovers had got in behind a couple of times but I don't remember Graeme Smith have a serious save to make. Then, all of a sudden, Morgyn Neill slices a clearance high into the air, spinning towards goal, sending the goalie backtracking... Smith did well to keep it out but he punched it straight to Liam Buchanan to finish from six yards. Christ.

Our next three games are doable before the ultimate showdown at Brechin City on the final day of the season but we can't keep chucking away points like this.

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Shame for Robbie and hope he's OK but I wonder what would have happened if the same thing happened up the other end with Raith chasing the game?

Wouldn't have it any other way. 

Would have rather lost yesterday and got the inevitable over with. As it happens Arbroath will either win it against us in 2 weeks time or next week for which we'd then need to do a guard of honour for them. Either way the players deserve the humiliation of it.

No surprise McGlynn plays the loanees. He did exactly the same during his first spell and always preferred a loanee to the youth system. Baronjas and Wedderburn in centre midfield epitomises our whole season. Slow, weak and generally can't be arsed.

It seems Davo has been playing through an injury the whole season hence why he didn't play today which makes me ask why the hell has he played nearly every game this season when we can all see he's passed it.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

In the Wee Bar before the game, I said I'd be delighted to have picked up a point but my goodness, that was a sore one to take. Losing a 93rd-minute equaliser is always going to be horrendous but the goal was such a calamity, especially how steadfast we'd been prior. I hope we don't look back at this, the draw at East Fife and the 2-2 stalemate with Dumbarton back in December, three games in which we conceded last-minute equalisers, as definitive moments in the season.

I thought we were the better team for long spells, particularly in the first half and the midpoint of the second when we scored our goal. Our 3-5-2 got the better of Raith Rovers' 4-4-1-1 - Mark McGuigan beat David McKay to every ball and with Greg Hurst buzzing around off him, moving from flank to flank, we really seemed to cause them bother. We had more bodies in the middle of the park, with Connor McBrearty snapping around, and our three-man defence meant that any time Kevin Nisbet did get a break of the ball, someone would be there to clean up. The goal was great, with Ruaridh Donaldson's long clearing header suddenly putting Stenny in a two-on-one situation - Hurst clipped the ball to McGuigan to deftly lift it over Robbie Thomson and into the net.

As others have mentioned, Hurst's substitution saw us lose some of our energy up front and McGuigan became a little isolated as the team dropped deeper. Was he injured? If not, it didn't make sense to take him off as he'd been fantastic. Regardless, I couldn't really see us conceding. The Rovers had got in behind a couple of times but I don't remember Graeme Smith have a serious save to make. Then, all of a sudden, Morgyn Neill slices a clearance high into the air, spinning towards goal, sending the goalie backtracking... Smith did well to keep it out but he punched it straight to Liam Buchanan to finish from six yards. Christ.

Our next three games are doable before the ultimate showdown at Brechin City on the final day of the season but we can't keep chucking away points like this.

Don’t think you give Donaldson enough credit on the header there. Looked like a cleverly directed dink to me, I’m absolutely certain he knew what was happening with the ball when he made that header. Superb pass for me.

Cue the highlights now making me look like an arse as he slabheads the ball forward 200 yards! 

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Pretty much the way I saw it. 

Before yesterday I would have said Stenny were the poorest team I'd seen this season, but looked a hugely improved outfit yesterday. 

If they maintain that level of performance in the remaining games, and we do likewise, we'll get another couple of trips to Ochilview again next season. 

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

Would've been worth the entrance fee alone to see either team do this. Can't beat watching fans froth at the mouth at stuff like this. 1

Also, when did that Tim Horton's appear? 

Meh!

Outfought and out-thought all over the park, a draw was nearly a fair result though most likely not if you are a Warrior.

We got clean out of jail last week and this week only escaped by the skin of our teeth,  last weeks tac-tics worked in that we are able to put fresh legs on the wings this week for some unknown reason we reverted to type and had nothing new to bring to the table in the last 10.

Can only assume that we have to pay all/more of Barjonas's wages if we don't play him and so finances dictate he played every minute even though there are better players on the bench.

Sickener for Thomson as that'll probably be him out for as long as McGurn was if it is indeed his achilles1

We cant seem to catch a break injury wise but that isn't the only reason we are where we are, these boys haven't the heart and it's been sore to watch.

Can't wait for the season to end.

4 hours ago, Christophe said:

Don’t think you give Donaldson enough credit on the header there. Looked like a cleverly directed dink to me, I’m absolutely certain he knew what was happening with the ball when he made that header. Superb pass for me.

Cue the highlights now making me look like an arse as he slabheads the ball forward 200 yards! 

You're bang on, it's actually a brilliant headed pass to put Hurst in on goal.

That Rovers equaliser, my word. What a goal to lose.

What’s that lad at the start - with the blonde wig and the Bayern Munich strip - all about?

Also that pitch rivals the Kilmarnock one for least attractive, most shiny looking, amateur-hour, plastic pitch in Scotland. Senior games played on artificial pitches can look a bit Micky Mouse.

What’s that lad at the start - with the blonde wig and the Bayern Munich strip - all about?

Also that pitch rivals the Kilmarnock one for least attractive, most shiny looking, amateur-hour, plastic pitch in Scotland. Senior games played on artificial pitches can look a bit Micky Mouse.

It was his 30th birthday.

Archived