Switzerland

tarapoa

Looking at a two-centre holiday this summer, with a second week earmarked for the coast - likely Piran/ Portoroz area of Slovenia.

For the first week, looking at staying in the mountains.  As we've done Bled in Slovenia, a couple of times, looking to try out Switzerland, which isn't too far away. Maybe a couple of places for three nights each.

Somewhere with a balcony looking at lakes and mountains, with cycling options and a few restaurants would be just fine.....

I really know little of the country other than a day trip to Lugano from Lake Como many years back.

Anyone any suggestions where to stay or any opinions on life in Switzerland in general.  I read somewhere it was a country that was wasted on the Swiss (and my missus doesn't like Roger Federer, and thankfully a trip to Dignitas isn't required on this occasion).

Interlaken is between the lakes but is a nice wee base if you are looking to explore Lakes and Mountains.

Note photos are from a touristy restaurant that sits above the town but you can take the train to the likes of Lauterbrunnen.

inter.jpg

inter2.jpg

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I'm going to be in France for the Women's World Cup in the summer and I am thinking of tacking on a visit to the Alps at the end of it. Any particular recommendations for "traditional" Alpine towns (or cities) with good scenic walks nearby? Preferably somewhere reasonably easy to get to from Paris in half a day or so.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I'm going to be in France for the Women's World Cup in the summer and I am thinking of tacking on a visit to the Alps at the end of it. Any particular recommendations for "traditional" Alpine towns (or cities) with good scenic walks nearby? Preferably somewhere reasonably easy to get to from Paris in half a day or so.

Haven't been myself but heard good things about Grenoble from a couple of pals who have.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Chamonix is nice, doable in 5 1/2 hours by train (google). Speciality is lettuce and chips, although you can have a bit of lamb or pork with it if you like. 

Just now, craigkillie said:

Cheers guys. Will look into both, although as a quinoa munching West End vegetarian type I might have to dump the lamb or pork.

I had it on its own, sounds awful but was surprisingly tasty!

As DRS mentioned, Interlaken is a decent base but it can be a bit pricey for even very basic accommodation thanks to its popularity. I’d probably suggest looking somewhere at the other side of the lakes, either in Thun(Beautiful old town there, well worth a few days) or Brienz(Tiny wee village with next to nothing other than the hills and mountains around it and a couple of restaurants).

Would probably also be worth checking out somewhere like Glarus, which also has some really remote mountain villages and cracking walking and cycling routes. Have a quick swatch on google at klöntalersee, should be a few hotels/hostels/apartments dotted around there, one of the most natuarally beautiful areas I have seen here.

Lugano/Locarno both also very beautiful around the lakes but both are holiday areas for the Swiss and tend to be both busy and expensive from April to October as a result. Worth visiting but you definitely pay for it.

The French 3rd of the country I really need to get to know better, wouldn’t feel overly confident recommending anything there. Lausanne looks tremendous and is on my to do list mind you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 17:57, craigkillie said:

The town where I live, Annecy, ticks all the boxes there.

lac-d-annecy.jpg

shutterstock_797420800-750x500.jpg

Archived