Scottish Football Crisis Thread

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Genuine question.

Has anyone done research to if there's a connection between what happens on the park and the shit that goes on after it?

Pick a load of the most high profile old firm games and then a load of really boring non events, and see if there's a correlation.

Sunday was reasonably dramatic, but nothing compared to McCoist and Lennon squaring up - or that one where Chris Woods, Terry Butcher, and Frank Mcavennie all got charged and were in court to explain themselves.

There was a report last week about domestic violence peaking on days there were high profile football games but I think that's quite speculative - the peaks occur when there are lots of games on but that's usually the weekend where people are off work, drinking etc.

The 'shame game' back when Rangers clinched the league at Celtic Park saw hundreds of people arrested IIRC.

I am being facetious in this thread because it's all getting a bit ridiculous but one thing that is concerning is that there was a crush during the celebrations for the first Celtic goal.  This follows the incidents at the previous Old Firm game at Celtic park this season where fans were crushed in a concourse area (I believe).  That's far more concerning than Scott Brown and Andy Halliday having a fight.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's these types of people who cling onto a bandwagon easier than others. Like a football team that wins all the time.  This is to make up for their own failings in life.

This is the main thing, for me, about why non-matchgoing Old Firm fans 'support' the Old Firm from hundreds of miles away. They live vicariously through their success, it's the one part of their life that they can pretend they are dominant and successful in.

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'll tell you where there's a direct correlation;  Fans of Celtic and Rangers and people, in Inverness certainly, who you would class as general arseholes.  The guys in my year in school who supported ICT, County, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs were all sound, normal lads.  The ones who supported Celtic and Rangers were the ones from less affluent backgrounds, were always getting into trouble both in and out of school.  You know the type.

Working class? Wasnt aware there was a class divide in Scottish football. 

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Working class? Wasnt aware there was a class divide in Scottish football. 

Class in Scottish football, you say?

HibsClass.thumb.jpg.d8d3c93c9ca45c1a5ccf7cd39b680010.jpg

I'm actually in this picture somewhere, so I was spared the full cringeworthiness of the display until I got home...

39 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It'll be the same in every medium to large town and city in Scotland m4.

34 minutes ago, LordHawHaw said:

I'd love to see evidence other than anecdotal

I cannot argue with your personal experience,   but I have lived in Airdrie 

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

Class in Scottish football, you say?

49099496_2209681889358143_64532130840717

I'm actually in this picture somewhere, so I was spared the full cringeworthiness of the display until I got home...

Got to wonder about the thinking processes behind that

7 minutes ago, LordHawHaw said:

Got to wonder about the thinking processes behind that

It's an Eddie Turnbull quote that's done to death by the gin-drinking, avid Facebook user portion of our support.

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

It's an Eddie Turnbull quote that's done to death by the gin-drinking, avid Facebook user portion of our support.

Then that's acceptable to quote a famous 5er, I was thinking someone pulled it out of his head

So long as reasonable people continue to defend the actions of utter neds and reprobates purely on the basis of a shared affection for a football team, nothing will change.

9 minutes ago, Estragon said:

So long as reasonable people continue to defend the actions of utter neds and reprobates purely on the basis of a shared affection for a football team, nothing will change.

It's not even being discussed by the governing bodies. They don't want to get involved or attempt to be a part of the solution.

Bigotry and sectarianism is what takes the toothless reprobates off of their sofas, and to the matches. 

The most expensive and attended matches. With a chunk of that money going to the authority. 

Hmmmmmm

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I'll tell you where there's a direct correlation;  Fans of Celtic and Rangers and people, in Inverness certainly, who you would class as general arseholes.  The guys in my year in school who supported ICT, County, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs were all sound, normal lads.  The ones who supported Celtic and Rangers were the ones from less affluent backgrounds, were always getting into trouble both in and out of school.  You know the type.

They got the worst grades in tests/exams, they got shit, low paid jobs when they left school and I know of at least 2 Celtic fans in my year who have done time.   It's these types of people who cling onto a bandwagon easier than others. Like a football team that wins all the time.  This is to make up for their own failings in life.

Give in, what have The Rangers won recently?

Crisis is that 2 clubs are seen to represent the country in footballing terms throughout the world and make Scotland look a backward nation of bigotry and hatred, who could do much to raise a positive profile and investment globally in our game but instead want to w**k over who is the most stauch and f**k it up for everyone.

Archived