Scottish Football Crisis Thread

I just read on the BBC site that Scottish football is in CRISIS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47776888

Head of the Scottish Police Federation David Hamilton has said that football is in crisis due to fan behaviour.  Hamilton said

"It's despairing the way some fans are behaving in Scottish football.  We're seeing an escalation in violence both in terms of severity and frequency.

"At the weekend, some of the officers who were working at Celtic Park were saying it's the worst they've seen in 15-20 years of service. An officer had a flash-bang thrown at him that just missed his head."

"People are hiding behind banners and flags, some of which are being stored in the stadium by the clubs, it's absolutely extraordinary.

"We're seeing a lack of stewarding, very few numbers dealing with some of the most difficult people. It's not a police issue to deal with us. We get nothing back from the clubs."

MSP James Dornan wants to introduce strict liability to Scottish football

"I have the cross-party support to go ahead with the bill and there's a head of steam growing in Scotland that something has to be done about football," 

"It was a mistake to repeal the Offensive Behaviour At Football Act and something has to be put in its place."

"Something has to be done about football" is a great quote, reminds me of when you'd read in history of medieval football being banned in the Middle Ages because it distracted people from archery practice and bystanders kept dying.

Michael Stewart (why is he Michael in this article but was "Mikey" when summarising on teh Caley-Partick game a few weeks ago?) makes a good point when he says

In terms of what happened on the park on Sunday, it wasn't mental or crazy. There were a few moments, but not anything that was exceptional for Celtic-Rangers games. There has to be an element of calmness brought to it.

Billy Dodds said

Billy likes fitba!  Billy likes fitba!

Please use this thread to track the crisis and all crisis developments should be posted here.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'm not quite sure what a flashbang is

But I think that throwing them at police officers heads is almost certainly a bad thing 

There should be a law against it

In the old days there would have been a wallop after a flash, bang.

not a fan of either, but we all knows thats not entirely true...Although the presence of the type of people that attach themselves to those clubs 

also brings out the worst in other Premier League clubs.

but i guess its too much to write a Hyperbolic headline that reads Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in Crisis.

The rest of Scottish Football is in a long drawn out crisis for different reasons..

Genuine question.

Has anyone done research to if there's a connection between what happens on the park and the shit that goes on after it?

Pick a load of the most high profile old firm games and then a load of really boring non events, and see if there's a correlation.

Sunday was reasonably dramatic, but nothing compared to McCoist and Lennon squaring up - or that one where Chris Woods, Terry Butcher, and Frank Mcavennie all got charged and were in court to explain themselves.

I'll tell you where there's a direct correlation;  Fans of Celtic and Rangers and people, in Inverness certainly, who you would class as general arseholes.  The guys in my year in school who supported ICT, County, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs were all sound, normal lads.  The ones who supported Celtic and Rangers were the ones from less affluent backgrounds, were always getting into trouble both in and out of school.  You know the type.

They got the worst grades in tests/exams, they got shit, low paid jobs when they left school and I know of at least 2 Celtic fans in my year who have done time.   It's these types of people who cling onto a bandwagon easier than others. Like a football team that wins all the time.  This is to make up for their own failings in life.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'll tell you where there's a direct correlation;  Fans of Celtic and Rangers and people, in Inverness certainly, who you would class as general arseholes.  The guys in my year in school who supported ICT, County, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs were all sound, normal lads.  The ones who supported Celtic and Rangers were the ones from less affluent backgrounds, were always getting into trouble both in and out of school.  You know the type.

They got the worst grades in tests/exams, they got shit, low paid jobs when they left school and I know of at least 2 Celtic fans in my year who have done time.   It's these types of people who cling onto a bandwagon easier than others. Like a football team that wins all the time.  This is to make up for their own failings in life.

Generalisation there mate, not helpful at all

Just now, LordHawHaw said:

Generalisation there mate, not helpful at all

It'll be the same in every medium to large town and city in Scotland m4.

2 minutes ago, LordHawHaw said:

I'd love to see evidence other than anecdotal

You want evidence that OF fans in my year at school were fucking arseholes?

I'd love to see evidence other than anecdotal
The calling card of an internet numpty.

He's not saying 'all' old firm fans are thick bigots, but he's saying thick bigots are usually found supporting one of the old firm clubs.

Archived