Stranraer

With the season now near it’s finish I think that Stranraer have been head and shoulders above every other team this season, and I’m sure their players will flood the end of season team and I think the management will be up there when that award is giving, I’m just hoping that Stranraer FC keep supporting this south team because the catchment area down there is huge and it will always provide an abundance of players, when a Stranraer side have been in the league they’ve always been strong but never stayed for a huge period of time, there’s no point in being successful and then it all finishing up again, I hope this team stays in the league for the future, there’s teams in the league like Creetown and Newton Stewart and others that are maybe not strong every year but don’t break their involvement, I’m just hoping this young Stranraer side can stay together for many years because they could do really well, but if the club don’t support them because clubs are always changing their structures I hope they stay in the league, Stranraer Athletic again maybe!

12 minutes ago, ecclesbrother said:

Am I correct in saying they cannot get promoted even if they win? Kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a league if this will be the case every year? 

Correct, because you cannot have two teams from the same club playing in leagues covered by the Professional Game Board - i.e. the SPFL, Highland and Lowland leagues.

Maybe in the future this league will be further down the pyramid so that promotion would be possible for reserve teams. But then maybe that opens a can of worms as other clubs might want to enter a reserve team in the pyramid...

It's interesting to contrast the season of the two reserve teams. Stranraer are flying and on course to win the league whereas Annan are bottom with one point all season with a GD of -102.

Kinda degrades the south imo, teams are playing for second place, and can get promoted for that. Just seems a bit pointless having them competing in the league when they can’t go anywhere. 

For example the the team they have just now are quality.. teams in the south can’t compete against them, imagine if they go on to win it next year and the year after that etc....  Not to mention the drive and travel there for the Dumfriesshire teams, For example Upper Annandale travelling there last night. Boys must’ve got home early hours of the morning.

Anyway, they are a top quality team and deserve where they are just don’t understand the point in them being in the league.

24 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Has anyone else heard the rumours that reserve teams are to be banned from the Pyramid from next season?

That's an interesting rumour in light of the recent stuff with the Glasgow two trying to shoehorn their colts into the lower tiers of the SPFL (either an expanded SPFL2 or a new SPFL3 division) that was shot down in emphatic style. As it stands currently there are 3 teams in the pyramid those being Stranraer + Annan of the SOS & Stirling Uni of the EOS.

39 minutes ago, ecclesbrother said:

Kinda degrades the south imo, teams are playing for second place, and can get promoted for that. Just seems a bit pointless having them competing in the league when they can’t go anywhere. 

For example the the team they have just now are quality.. teams in the south can’t compete against them, imagine if they go on to win it next year and the year after that etc....  Not to mention the drive and travel there for the Dumfriesshire teams, For example Upper Annandale travelling there last night. Boys must’ve got home early hours of the morning.

Anyway, they are a top quality team and deserve where they are just don’t understand the point in them being in the league.

The point of them being in the League is clearly to give their boys experience at this level and a couple have already progressed to first team involvement this Season which is truly commendable on the part of the coaching staff and shows the real progression the team and the lads themselves have made since they joined the previous year. As for everybody else battling for second surely then it’s up to the rest to aspire to reach their level in order to challenge and that can only be a good thing for the league.

You also mentioned the promotion aspect if they continue to be successful however I’m sure you must be aware that only 4 of the member Clubs meet the current criteria for promotion to the Lowland ( 3 if Wigtown dont get floodlights in the foreseeable future )   so their possible repeated success renders that point irrelevant as that suggests all the other dozen teams that can’t get promoted are playing for nothing in terms of League participation ! Of those than could go up do you realistically see any on them or any of the remainder of the South teams in fairness capable of winning playoffs against the overall East Champions and the East and West Super League winners ? I’d suggest the possibility of that happening is remote at best for the foreseeable future even if those that do meet the requirements actually would really want to look forward to having midweek trips to Stirling or Hawick wouldn’t you say ? 

On your final point about the distance for the poor wee Dumfrieshire Teams , who make up two thirds of the League I should point out , having to travel midweek don’t you realise that most of the sides in the West of the region have had rearranged games likewise scheduled for Annan , Sanquhar and Moffat again making your point fairly irrelevant ! Ask any of these teams which sides have the most travelling to do in a Season and I think you’ll find everyone knows the answer to that already ! 

PS I do agree with you that Stranraer have been quality team this Season 

Archived