Midweek Thoughts

What is a random game that you will remember forever for a specific reason. We are not talking about huge games like winning the league or winning a game as an underdog or even your first game.

Can be due to getting pumped by a team, a n opposition player running riot, a moment with your pals or even just a really nice pie.

The most random the better.

(I’m going to keep making random threads like this once a week if popular enough, get all the fans together sharing stories)

Get involved!

6th December 2016, Scottish Cup 3rd round replay.

Dumbarton 0 Bonnyrigg Rose 1

Freezing cold evening, awful performance by The Sons, taking nothing away from the Junior side who also maybe had as many fans there as we had.

The longer the match went on you just knew Rose were going to do it, and they did with 4 minutes to go until the 90 was up.

*exits thread in a cold sweat* :shutup

Feb 2017, Gary Locke getting the sack after we got beat from Morton 1-0 at home. However, I won’t remember it for that. I remember walking to & from the game (which I normally do) but it was torrential rain [emoji299]️ I was f#cking soaking. I had a brolly at the ready, but left it in the house, got to the end of the street and thought nah I’ll be fine. Total fanny!

I always remember Airdrie 8-1 Stranraer at Broadwood.
4 red cards, a disallowed goal, Stranraer taking the lead direct from a wind assisted corner, and it was the only game my old man missed that season.

Also remember beating Ayr down at Somerset and Stevie Cooper scoring a hat trick. That season my old man said every time Stevie scored I could get a bit of chocolate. I was sick that day in Ayr.

Memorable win - Airdrie 5 Huddersfield 1, Texaco Cup 3 November 1971.  Airdrie had beaten Huddersfield 2:1 in the away leg and the Huddersfield manager declared "its only half time".  The first half of the second leg was a poor performance by AIrdrie and they went behind before Drew Busby equalised.   Busby then went off injured and I feared the worst, but Drew Jarvie  played a stormer in the second half scoring four times.

Memorably defeat- Airdrie 3 Dumbarton 6, Can't remember the exact date but it was the 1978-79 season, we didn't play badly, but Fat Pat McCluskey single handedly hammered us (think it was a hat trick), Sons fans will probably be able to fill in the details. (We signed Pat the following season!)

10 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I always remember Airdrie 8-1 Stranraer at Broadwood.
4 red cards, a disallowed goal, Stranraer taking the lead direct from a wind assisted corner, and it was the only game my old man missed that season.

Also remember beating Ayr down at Somerset and Stevie Cooper scoring a hat trick. That season my old man said every time Stevie scored I could get a bit of chocolate. I was sick that day in Ayr.;)

Bloody refs still against us in 1994,you couldnae make it up,you cross I'll score Ammo.

1 hour ago, WSDR 88 said:

Feb 2017, Gary Locke getting the sack after we got beat from Morton 1-0 at home. However, I won’t remember it for that. I remember walking to & from the game (which I normally do) but it was torrential rain emoji299.png️ I was f#cking soaking. I had a brolly at the ready, but left it in the house, got to the end of the street and thought nah I’ll be fine. Total fanny!

A back two of Bobby Barr and Mark Stewart means it lives on in the memory for me.

1991/92 - Kilmarnock v Meadowbank Thistle - 3rd Round Scottish Cup replay. Pouring rain. Horrible night.

Went to a penalty shoot out after a 1-1 draw. Tommy Burns missed the decisive penalty for Kilmarnock. 

The next day the Killie manager was sacked (Jim Fleeting I think). His replacement? Tommy Burns.

Dumbarton match:
Forfar vs Dumbarton, January 2006.  I was supposed to go to this match but ended up deciding not to go. The score was 1-1 and the Sons had just gone down to 9 men as Stevie Ferguson and Ryan Borris had been given their marching orders, Forfar take the lead on 81 minutes and the game looks done and dusted. Big John Gemmell pops up with an equaliser in the 86th minute and then Forfars Francois Dubourdeau hilariously mis-kicked the ball into his own net in the last minute.  My uncle had gone to the game and he spent about half an hour just screaming "YASSS" down the phone and laughing at me for missing it. I'll never forget that match even though I never seen it

Non-Dumbarton match:
Clyde vs Dundee, October 2003. With half my family being Dundee fans I used to go along to the occasional match as a youngster, so when they were playing midweek at Broadwood we decided to head along.  It was an absolutely mental game with 2 goals in the first 5 minutes to kick things off. With Dundee looking less than convincing but still ahead 2-1, Jim Duffy decided the 70th minute was the perfect time to throw on Fabrizio Ravanelli. By the 80th minute the man had scored a hat-trick. I remember thinking "this must be what a proper footballer looks like". The game finished 5-2 and I don't think Ravanelli scored another goal for Dundee, madness.

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Dumbarton match:
Forfar vs Dumbarton, January 2006.  I was supposed to go to this match but ended up deciding not to go. The score was 1-1 and the Sons had just gone down to 9 men as Stevie Ferguson and Ryan Borris had been given their marching orders, Forfar take the lead on 81 minutes and the game looks done and dusted. Big John Gemmell pops up with an equaliser in the 86th minute and then Forfars Francois Dubourdeau hilariously mis-kicked the ball into his own net in the last minute.  My uncle had gone to the game and he spent about half an hour just screaming "YASSS" down the phone and laughing at me for missing it. I'll never forget that match even though I never seen it

That’s one of my favourite ever games. The pandemonium when the winner went in was even greater than TNS. Unfortunately it came during one of my least favourite seasons.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

That’s one of my favourite ever games. The pandemonium when the winner went in was even greater than TNS. Unfortunately it came during one of my least favourite seasons.

I was searching for highlights on SonsTV (or SonsPlayer as it was back then) but I can't see them.

Some random ones for me include pumping Montrose 5-0 at Links Park in December 2006. Stephen Dobbie completely tore them apart and it was made all the sweeter giving the GIRUY to Andy Rodgers.

I also have a great memory of the aforementioned Rodgers scoring a late equaliser against Airdrie away in 2004. We’d gone down to 10 men after a Barry Donald red card against an Airdrie side featuring Owen Coyle that walked the league that year.

One of the worst is from that same 2003/04 season losing 2-1 away to Hamilton, with John Gemmell scoring a last gasp winner. It wasn’t the last game of the season but it proved decisive in us missing out on promotion.

Non-Sons games would include Chelsea 2-2 Spurs in 2016. The game which confirmed Leicester's title win. Also, Rotherham 2-1 Shrewsbury in last season's League One play-off final. Boiling hot day at Wembley that went to extra time.

Edited by FifeSons

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I was searching for highlights on SonsTV (or SonsPlayer as it was back then) but I can't see them.

I’d be amazed if there was any footage. Would absolutely love to see it if there is though.

Going down to Ayr with no goalkeeper and having to play Ryan Stevenson in goals.

Getting beat 2-1 by St Mirren donkeys ago (think they won the league in that particular season 1999 or 2000). Two late goals from St Mirren the 2nd of which was scored with Alex Burns being down with concussion. I rarely get down in the dumps if we get beat but I literally couldn’t speak to anyone after this game due to anger.

Cup game against Airdrie at Broadwood (96/97 time) with Peter Heatherston scoring one of their goals right in front of us and promptly taking a bow much to the annoyance of the Rovers fans.

Horsing Hamilton 4-0 during the Paquito days. Never seen a performance like it. Was the most complete 90 minutes I’ve ever seen from us.

During McGlynn’s league winning season with an away game down in Stranraer. Supporters bus got stuck in a ditch outside the stadium. A coach is pretty heavy so watching a mixture of auld folk and pished folk trying to push it was hilarious.

Away to Dundee before Dens Park was done up. It was pissing with rain and Rovers fans were in both the main stand and the terrace behind the goals. Rovers fans in the main stand were goading the Rovers fans in the terrace with their umbrellas. I think the entire 2nd half was spent singing songs back and forward to each other. All light hearted.

Airdrie at home back in 2010, we were hammered 4-1 effectively relegating us back to League 1. 

Airdrie went 1 up just after the half, then Baird scored just after the hour, within a minute Keenan pulled us back to 1-2 with an absolute peach of a goal. John Baird then popped up a minute later with Airdrie's third before going onto get a hat trick at the death. 
Keenan's peach is what keeps the game in the memory, in a season where we had one of Brian Reid's Championship banter squads. 

Huntly 1-1 East Fife (Scottish Cup sometime circa 2005)

Huntly fans seem a very strange bunch. They sing "We're gold, we're black, we're jumping on your back... Hunt-a-leeee, Hunt-a-leeee". The steep slope running along the stand-side touchline is hilarious and keeps the ball in numerous times when it should have comfortably gone out for a throw in. Huntly absolutely beast us with some ex-Dundee striker I can't remember the name of * absolutely rattling one off the crossbar in stoppage time. We weren't much better in the replay but beat them on penalties which was very satisfying.

*Jerry O'Driscoll

Edited by Gordon EF

Two League Cup ties spring to mind, both in the late 70s.

Montrose 3 Hibs 2.

Hibs won the first leg 1-0 then scored in the first minute of the second leg to lead 2-0. Montrose scored twice to win 2-1 and take it to extra time. It was a foul night of wind and rain which had a hand in the winner. Hibs were attacking when Mo full back Les Barr booted the ball from well inside his own half. The ball sailed off in the wind. Hibs goalkeeper Jim McArthur went out to collect the ball,  slipped on his arse and the ball bounced over his head and into the net. 

Montrose 5 Raith rovers 4

Again two legs. Rovers played Mo off the park and won the first leg 3-0 then scored first in the second leg to lead 4-0. Montrose rallied to win 5-1 on the night so 5-4 on aggregate.