Rovers v QP

2 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

Gotme. PJ had some decent saves although for the 4th goal he got a decent hand on it.

He's a good keeper the only bright spark I would say for Rovers before your revival. 

Though Rovers could struggle today without Smart.

Edited by cowdenbeath

I'll take BYOSs view on the first penalty.... I'd be raging if we had lost that one.

Overall though, a much better performance than I feared. Ruth looks the part with a bit of physical presence about him. McGee slotted in nicely and might give us a good option in midfield.

In the end, a comfortable win and a wee boost to the goal difference. Still aiming for 5th!

Galt got in front of the defender, felt the contact and went down. Stonewaller? Probably not. Dive? Probably not, also. Played for it. Every team on the planet wins those penalties. 

Thought it was a good performance without being spectacular. Every single player did their job well. Didn't feel Rovers were ever scoring at any point. Gerry, Dom and Gibby will have long balls for breakfast if there's no runners in behind. Can't remember a single Rovers chance. 

Best of luck to Rovers for the rest of the season. Wouldn't like to see them go. 

That was your big chance today Rovers. Win was a must. What happened? Berwick have the easier run in now, but of course they have to actually pick up some points. Going to be nervy next week. Can QP repeat today's efforts at Berwick? Can you avoid defeat away to Berwick in three weeks.

Just shows you that the old cliché "they've got more to play for than us" means absolutely nothing when you have a superior team. There is a reason after all why Rovers and Berwick are miles behind everyone else so no need at all for any of our fans to go into these games satisfied to get a draw or not confident of victory. Thankfully Roberts and the players have the right attitude. Really bold team selection yesterday, some of it forced by injuries of course, but freshening up the team proved to be the right move (even leaving out Hawke, an86 was right about that) The young guys that came in have everything to play for, a contract for next season being one thing. 

I still hope Rovers stay up but they've given us a few beatings at Cliftonhill over the years (I'm thinking the play off semi and the season we finished 2nd behind them) so delighted to gub them yesterday. They lost the plot after the first penalty (never a pen, every one of us behind the goal pissed ourselves laughing at it) Wharton was still raging about it when he took out Galt for the second

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

They lost the plot after the first penalty (never a pen, every one of us behind the goal pissed ourselves laughing at it) Wharton was still raging about it when he took out Galt for the second

I still maintain it was a penalty and will do so until I'm forced into an embarrassing climb down by footage.

Delighted for Magee. I hope he can be persuaded to develop in this position. It gives us so much more versatility. In the few occasions when he has found himself upfield, after a corner, or decided to run forward with the ball I thought there was possibly more to him that originally met the eye. Could a star be being born?

Hats off again to Roberts. I fell into the trap that a Gerry/Jambo switch was the limit of our potential. Never for a second did I consider Magee for midfield and yet as many have said we need an aggressive midfielder, box ticked, and he's always tried to pass out of defence. Hiding in plain sight.

And Billy, not even on the bench last week, coming in from the cold. A real vote of confidence and trust and allowed McLean, deceptively strong in the tackle, to further bolster the midfield. Ruth's goal was a proper poacher's reaction and looked physically capable too. Definitely deserves another start at Berwick.

And the subs all made an impact too. Hawke's beautifully weighted chip to Galt's right side was the the bait that led to the clear pen and Gow's strength and awareness on the ball teed up Summers nicely for the fourth. Real shame the fifth goal wasn't allowed - all 3 subs skilfully tore open the Rovers defence for what should have been the goal of the day.

After the EC game I said the next six games would measure us better and results speak for themselves. Roberts vision yesterday, his understanding of the squad and their capabilities gives me even greater belief that we'll settle at fifth and, maybe more importantly, have some influence of the division's final outcome. Very pleasing.

For me, Roberts had questions to answer after the sparse run. However, I said I'd be happy enough if he got to around 42 points from this run of games. We're more or less there and on a positive trajectory. He's weathered the storm and answered those questions and we've signed up our best player for next season, along with at least one promising young player. Credit to him. 

20 hours ago, PELE said:

That was your big chance today Rovers. Win was a must. What happened? Berwick have the easier run in now, but of course they have to actually pick up some points. Going to be nervy next week. Can QP repeat today's efforts at Berwick? Can you avoid defeat away to Berwick in three weeks.

We were missing a couple of our better players but to be honest it was an inpressive performance from QP. If they repeat that performance next week they will beat Berwick no question.

Rovers and Berwick have 10 wins between them this season. It's not inconceivable that neither team can muster a win for the rest of the season including against each other. Ideally we were hoping that we would go into the Berwick game with a cushion. That seems unlikely now and the game in 3 weeks time will be the clincher.

If we go down I really fear for the future of ghe club. If we stay up I fear we will be battling relegation next season again.

52 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

If we stay up I fear we will be battling relegation next season again.

Reason enough for a few clubs to be hoping you do manage to stay up................anyone coming up would have the impetus of a honeymoon season to help them.

On 05/04/2019 at 15:31, harlowspider said:

The best would have been Jim Gillespie. Only made 25 Appearances (1979-80), scoring 21 times

Unfortunately Jim Gillespie was just before my time so didn't get the pleasure of watching him play, although a certain Mr Higgins goes on about him so much that I feel like I've seen every ball he kicked