Rovers v QP

We've been having the same discussion about strikers for most of the modern era. Goalscorers are seen as the most valuable commodity at any level of football and teams are inclined to give them a few quid. That's why we struggle to attract someone who we know will bang a few in. 

We either need to produce one, who'll likely be offski within a year if he's good, or strike lucky with someone from a lower level who just sees the club as a good fit. 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

We've been having the same discussion about strikers for most of the modern era. Goalscorers are seen as the most valuable commodity at any level of football and teams are inclined to give them a few quid. That's why we struggle to attract someone who we know will bang a few in. 

We either need to produce one, who'll likely be offski within a year if he's good, or strike lucky with someone from a lower level who just sees the club as a good fit. 

Or scan the loan market. We have been relatively successful there for strikers in recent seasons.

Or scan the loan market. We have been relatively successful there for strikers in recent seasons.

It’s the one thing that’s troubled me since Mark took over was the lack of activity in January. Not sure if it’s a change of direction by the club or lack of contacts by Mark. If we had a Keena-type since New Year we’d have bern closer to the top 4 for sure.

8 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It’s the one thing that’s troubled me since Mark took over was the lack of activity in January. Not sure if it’s a change of direction by the club or lack of contacts by Mark. If we had a Keena-type since New Year we’d have bern closer to the top 4 for sure.

Was very surprised not to see any St Mirren youngsters heading our way given the relationship that the club/Mark Roberts has with Gus MacPherson. Can only assume that they didn't have anyone available or good enough in positions we needed to strengthen. 

We've struck gold in recent years. Brophy, Duggan (albeit I thought his attitude was questionable), Zanatta and Keena have all made a contribution. It could be that he wants to keep players happy in order to have them stick around next season. Benching them in favour of a loan kid, when we're not involved in meaningful action, might have caused a bigger headache further down the line. 

It could be that he wants to keep players happy in order to have them stick around next season. Benching them in favour of a loan kid, when we're not involved in meaningful action, might have caused a bigger headache further down the line. 

That’s a really good point and fits with his style. He’s also said though we need better players. It’s the eternal confliction for all QP managers.

15 hours ago, an86 said:

We've been having the same discussion about strikers for most of the modern era.

All our good sides have had decent strikers and goalscorers. 

Mark Gallagher scored 15 when  we won the league in 2000. We had goalscorers throughout the side that season, especially from midfield which is what we've lacked recently, Frankie Carroll scored 18 goals  in Stark's first season, he and Ally Graham were a solid partnership., Davie Weatherston banged in 18 when we won the play offs in 2007, mainly due to his pace but I remember the season before he couldn't finish his tea, it was a side of his game he had to work at . Then of course we had Longworth :wub:  , probably the best striker I've seen in a QP jersey.  .  The season we finished 2nd behind Alloa -  when Longworth got into the 20s -  Mick Daly, Quinno , and Craig Smith all reached double figures 

2 hours ago, harlowspider said:

The best would have been Jim Gillespie. Only made 25 Appearances (1979-80), scoring 21 times

Jim Gillespie - what a guy! Remember a game we had at Lesser Hampden against a Renfrewshire Select in a memorial match for Bernie Donnelly when the bold Jim bet Eddie he would score a few. Can't recall whether it was 3 or 4, but I do remember that as soon Jim got to one short of his target Eddie subbed him and he was none too pleased about it. Those were the days when there were quality players to be found in the Glasgow amateur leagues, and Jim, his cousin Mick and Keith Mackenzie were just a few of the experienced gems Eddie uncovered, and who all made the significant step-up with relative ease. I also saw him banging them in at the post-season international U-23 tournament in Dusseldorf which Queen's won, where Gent were so impressed they signed him there and then, before he had the chance to return to Glasgow where there were undoubtedly other suitors queuing up for his services.

It'll be interesting to see what effect not having Kurty in the team makes. Last week's substitution and Mark's post match comments makes it clear that Jambo will step into his old role in the middle so technically a straight swap of personel. I'm not going to criticise Jambo; he was a great asset when we got promoted and on his return this season he immediately made an impact in the middle that just wasn't there last term. Kurty has really impressed me though and last week was a great example where after a fairly flat 70 mins he got his mojo going and suddenly we looked threatening. Two very different playing styles. On a day when some flair and ambition will be needed to break down Rovers we might find ourselves back to the old passing sideways game. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

56 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It'll be interesting to see what effect not having Kurty in the team makes. Last week's substitution and Mark's post match comments makes it clear that Jambo will step into his old role in the middle so technically a straight swap of personel. I'm not going to criticise Jambo; he was a great asset when we got promoted and on his return this season he immediately made an impact in the middle that just wasn't there last term. Kurty has really impressed me though and last week was a great example where after a fairly flat 70 mins he got his mojo going and suddenly we looked threatening. Two very different playing styles. On a day when some flair and ambition will be needed to break down Rovers we might find ourselves back to the old passing sideways game. Hope I'm wrong.

Roberts would be a miss in any situation. However, the type of game it is may suit Jambo and Gerry down to the ground. Very much a "win yer battles" and "clear yer lines" contest. 

Edited by an86

I've never seen anyone win so many penalties as much as David Galt. Extremely comfortable win overall with everyone putting in a great shift. Thought Ruth looked the part up top and certainly looks a promising player, whilst Magee looked a different player in the midfield. 

What happened to the QP corinthian spirit- absolutely shocking dive.

In all seriousness the penalty detracts how bad Rovers really were. Back to square one for us, first half performance nowhere near good enough and Queens could have been 3 up at HT. Thought Queens were solid from the start and actually sprayed it about the San Siro surface quite well. 

Rovers fans will talk about how Berwick lost 6 today but that was an alarming performance and shows we are a million miles away from safety.

I can understand why Rovers fans would be agitated but from behind the goal there was contact for the first and the second was a stonewaller, both well dispatched. Two other very good goals too. And if it helps, the chopped off goal was a mistake by the officials. A fair result in the end on the balance of play.

As for the Corinthian spirit; we'll whip Berwick next week to ensure fairness and parity. How's that?

9 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I can understand why Rovers fans would be agitated but from behind the goal there was contact for the first and the second was a stonewaller, both well dispatched. Two other very good goals too. And if it helps, the chopped off goal was a mistake by the officials. A fair result in the end on the balance of play.

As for the Corinthian spirit; we'll whip Berwick next week to ensure fairness and parity. How's that?

The only contact for the first penalty was Galt hitting the ground, I assume the lino gave it, second one Wharton had a rush of blood to the head - no arguments. Agree the scoreline was probably reflective of the game. Rovers didn't create a clearcut chance from what I recall.