St Mirren v Celtic

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

There was empty seats in the West and main stand. Why on earth would you not let stands behind the goals not let the club generate much needed money ? Came out the ground after the game with not a hint of trouble. Personally I have no problem filling both stands with Celtic fans it pulled in around £86,400. Maybe if you were on the board you would get it. Not a classic game last night but a good night was had. 

Thanks for the economics lesson mate, wondering if you could try and be a bit more patronising next time.

The argument for me is emotional as well. Given we don't have massive stands like Killie I don't believe it's really worth it when you factor in policing costs and the fact fewer saints fans attended last night than they did v Dundee.

Each to his own though. You continue to bow down. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

You're right RPHG that because it was Dundee and such an important games there were more Saints fans there.

We've been averaging just over 4,000 home fans - on Saturday we had around a thousand more, last night we had a thousand less.

Obviously doesn't bother everyone, but that's about 25% of our home support - many who've already paid for the game - deciding they just don't want everything that goes along with games v the OF.

I'm sure Saints aren't alone when it comes to this.

You aren't.

Very much the norm

24 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

You aren't.

Very much the norm

Depends on the team. Hibs and Hearts have a higher uptake for OF games than for games against smaller teams, and I suspect Aberdeen do, too. I don't know whether it's correlated with perceived game imbalance (i.e.  fans prefer to watch matches against teams they consider to be equals or rivals) or whether it's to do with the nature of the crowds (i.e. teams with smaller home supports tend to avoid games with large numbers of somehow objectionable away fans). Alternatively, there's the old joke about the fans still going to the game, but they switch ends.

Killie fans could probably tell us one way or another, since they have a smallish crowd while also putting in a competitive run these last couple of seasons. Has the pattern of home fan attendance at OF games changed since Steve Clarke's Juggernaut took over?

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

Thanks for the economics lesson mate, wondering if you could try and be a bit more patronising next time.

The argument for me is emotional as well. Given we don't have massive stands like Killie I don't believe it's really worth it when you factor in policing costs and the fact fewer saints fans attended last night than they did v Dundee.

Im not arguing with you mate I know the feeling is strong within our support regarding the old firm. Personally I don't think many more Saints fans would go along even if the family stand  was  not given to the old firm as many refuse to attend these games. I respect their view. For me it's about supporting my team cheering on the players in the stripes no matter who we play. I would imagine the family stand will be voted on when we the fans own the club regarding old firm fans. 

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Depends on the team. Hibs and Hearts have a higher uptake for OF games than for games against smaller teams, and I suspect Aberdeen do, too. I don't know whether it's correlated with perceived game imbalance (i.e.  fans prefer to watch matches against teams they consider to be equals or rivals) or whether it's to do with the nature of the crowds (i.e. teams with smaller home supports tend to avoid games with large numbers of somehow objectionable away fans). Alternatively, there's the old joke about the fans still going to the game, but they switch ends.

Killie fans could probably tell us one way or another, since they have a smallish crowd while also putting in a competitive run these last couple of seasons. Has the pattern of home fan attendance at OF games changed since Steve Clarke's Juggernaut took over?

Usually they are the only teams that a bring a sizeable away support two times a season. There's a ot of older guys who'll come out of the woodwork for it but there's also plenty who won't take their children to the game too.

3 hours ago, btb said:

Haven't seen any news of either Brown or The Duck getting pulled off by the Compliance Officer.

I've a feeling that it'll be quietly forgotten about

Just had a look, your highest attendance and 3rd highest attendance of the season was against Celtic.
Saturday was an exception as the game was so vital, had it not been the Celtic games would remain your 2 highest attendances of the season and your highest money spinner.
I'm from Paisley, have many St Mirren supporting friends and none of them miss this game due to lack of pleasantness! I think they enjoy the change in atmosphere and the chance of the shock win such as when you pumped us a few years back.
What is this change of atmosphere you speak of? Having to sit and listen to 90 mins of poisonous shite about the IRA?

There was a much better (and much more pleasant) atmosphere on Saturday.

Stick your party tunes up your arse.

6 hours ago, Silvio said:

I agree with you, the numpty that posted about £86k income increase has been caught out so many times with his faulty theories it is unreal. 

The reality is St Mirren as a club decided to close a family stand to let the OF with their anti social behaviour take over. 

I’ve  had an ST with St Mirren for many years but the decision to kick kids out was nonsensical and sending totally the wrong message to our younger fans.  

We have taken a small short term gain for long term pain. 

23 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

What is this change of atmosphere you speak of? Having to sit and listen to 90 mins of poisonous shite about the IRA?

Some real foot tappers in amongst the 'rebs' mate :P

9 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

There was empty seats in the West and main stand. Why on earth would you not let stands behind the goals not let the club generate much needed money ? Came out the ground after the game with not a hint of trouble. Personally I have no problem filling both stands with Celtic fans it pulled in around £86,400. Maybe if you were on the board you would get it. Not a classic game last night but a good night was had. 

No it didn't. :lol: 

I'm guessing you are basing this on 2 full stands at £27 a ticket?

Say your fag paper maths holds any credence, in normal circumstances, we'd be giving them the one stand, so straight away, the extra stand is only worth an extra £43,200 per match. Just under £130k in additional ticket sales between the three home games......maximum.

Not deducting concession tickets.

Not deducting VAT of 20%

Crucially, not deducting additional costs of stewarding, policing and mounted police.

We'd be lucky if we pulled in £60k-£70k in additional money between the three home games vs the arsecheeks compared to giving them just the one stand.

Definitely not worth it, not in a million years.

Sorry I should have said, atmosphere, not change in atmosphere.

If that’s what you hear for 90 minutes you must be listening to something else.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Definitely not worth it, not in a million years.

Thankfully, most of the time directors don't listen to muppets like you who would rather see stands sit empty than see opponents filling them purely out of spite and pettiness, despite the fact the fact the home supporters simply wouldn't come near to filling out the ground themselves. 

We will be back filling your ground for you next season if you don't get relegated. 

Just now, Flybhoy said:

Thankfully, most of the time directors don't listen to muppets like you who would rather see stands sit empty than see opponents filling them purely out of spite and pettiness, despite the fact the fact the home supporters simply wouldn't come near to filling out the ground themselves. 

We will be back filling your ground for you next season if you don't get relegated. 

I would rather not see our own supporters and indeed, season ticket holders, displaced for either Rangers or Celtic's brands of bigoted fucknuggetry, matey.

10 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Some real foot tappers in amongst the 'rebs' mate :P

Are there any where they don't all die at the end ?

Maybe if there were more happy songs they wouldn't get such a bad rap.

More Kylie , less Cave. 

2 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

Are there any where they don't all die at the end ?

Maybe if there were more happy songs they wouldn't get such a bad rap.

More Kylie , less Cave. 

In a minority I know but I always preferred Dannii. 

Archived