Rangers vs Hearts 3rd April

9 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Fine having three centre-backs and flooding the midfield, but Wighton up front on his own? And it's a well-used strategy to suck teams in, and try to hit on the break, etc, but it's a dangerous game, and when has it ever worked against the old firm in Glasgow?

It has worked, the difference with that last night is that we had zero intention of actually trying to hit on the break.  

For the first half hour we just invited wave after wave of attack and when we got the ball we just hoofed it the way we were facing, it was embarrassing.

Also, as you say, Wighton up front on his own is bizarre.  Laddie is already struggling to win the fans over then we isolate him 40 yards from the midfield and shell balls at him. What's he meant to do?  Then Levein comes out saying "maybe he can't play like Uche".  No shit.  How about trying to find another way of playing then that doesn't entail smashing it up the park and hoping a physical monster can dominate.

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Mind you we went with McLean, Ikpeazu and Naismith last time at Ibrox and were still 3-0 down by half time.

It finished 3-1 after we'd switched out McLean for a defender

Which was a lot easier to take them last night.  You will likely lose the majority of your games in Glasgow, at least have a go if you're going to.

Edited by Tony Wonder

13 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Fine having three centre-backs and flooding the midfield, but Wighton up front on his own? And it's a well-used strategy to suck teams in, and try to hit on the break, etc, but it's a dangerous game, and when has it ever worked against the old firm in Glasgow?

There was a Scottish coach (I think it might have been Bert Paton at Dunfermline?) who used to say that games against the old firm were write-offs - especially in Glasgow - I'm starting to think Levein may be of a similar mindset.

Berra forced a save out of McGregor, Lee missed a chance when he should have squared to Keena, and Brandon hit the post - by that time, we were goals behind.

It's Wighton up front on his tod that's sticking in my craw, tbh - surely no-one thought that would work?

Nah, wasn't Bert. How dare you suggest it! We did regularly get a hiding under him when we went to Glasgow though.

I think that some Scottish coaches have a certain mentality towards playing Celtic and Sevco (and previously the dead club) in Glasgow where it seems that they are indeed beaten before the game kicks off. It's horrible to see. Sadly it won't be going away any time soon either, given how many Scottish managers you hear talking about Celtic and Sevco in reverential tones, and given how many of them are Celtic or Sevco fans (which is a depressingly high number).

8 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Which was a lot easier to take them last night.  You will likely lose the majority of your games in Glasgow, at least have a go if you're going to.

Normally I'd feel a pang of disappointment at going a goal behind, or losing the game - last night's game just left me cold - it was just all so grimly predictable and routine.