Queens v Falkirk

This needs to draw a veil on our “turgid wear ‘em down for a point” period. We seriously need to start to get some wins on the board, whereas Queens will see a draw as acceptable in keeping the gap at a healthy three points. A defeat for us, and I think it will end up as a “plucky fail” on McKinnon’s report card. I actually never thought he’d get us above 9th at any point in the season, but he did. Sadly, it’s been a fleeting visit to the lofty heights of 8th, and tbh, we really need to win at your place, then beat Alloa. Having got us there with an ultra cautious approach, it’s that self same approach that could keep us in the bottom two. I still reckon he’s done well considering what he inherited from Hartley.

I have come to the conclusion has doesn't have the players to change the style but he needs something to change things or we are sure fire certain for the playoff at best.

For me drop one of the holding midfield, Paton for me. Play two wide players. I would also move Dixon in one to get Robson into the side.

Two up top Rudden and Jarvis or Toderov.

If we do go down I Would rather go down having a go than this death by 1000 cuts.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree BPM. McKinnon’s cautious approach has been our saviour, but it is now starting to be the reason why we seem to have zero momentum going into the run in.

Alloa QotS and Partick have just gotten themselves wins against sides that we have failed to beat in nine attempts. The last chance saloon is now calling our name.

10 hours ago, BountyBairn said:

I agree with the sentiment gents, but Jarvis and Todorov ain’t good enough IMO. 

If we can get 4 points from next 2 games we can build on that and good time to get some form going forward. It’s not too late.

I dont think we can fully judge either Todarov or Jarvis, Jarvis having more game time and tbh hasnt really showed that much.  

Todarov has had about 40 mins and Jarvis 1 start 180 mins on the park, I dont rate Lavery but he looked lively on Saturday but probably not good enough. The market we were in though was always gonna be a struggle to get match winners in.

I think we have relied on a style that is safety first with both Petra and Rudden and two sitting midfielders the width being non existence bar Petra who shouldnt be the one supplying the width as much as he has had to.

I cant see McKinnon changing it until its more of a need than it is now, yes it is a need now but Id guess he is of the opinion that we can win one or two and draw a few to survive. The real danger is if we don't get results against either QoS, Alloa and Morton.

It really is now or never. Roy’s Cash getting beat by Alloa is a double whammy in that it ups the likelihood of them needing something from the last game of the season against us, while also giving Alloa a huge confidence boost.

For me, “jam tomorrow” has come to the end of the road, and we can’t go on with “we’ll win games, but probably not the next one”.  Our three nearest competitors did the needful yesterday, and against two sides better than ICT.

It’s not done and dusted by any means, but it soon will be if draws are all we can muster.

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It really is now or never. Roy’s Cash getting beat by Alloa is a double whammy in that it ups the likelihood of them needing something from the last game of the season against us, while also giving Alloa a huge confidence boost.

For me, “jam tomorrow” has come to the end of the road, and we can’t go on with “we’ll win games, but probably not the next one”.  Our three nearest competitors did the needful yesterday, and against two sides better than ICT.

It’s not done and dusted by any means, but it soon will be if draws are all we can muster.

If we drew every game between now and the end of the season, I'd bet a decent amount on us staying up.

Todd played in the middle yesterday. We played 4-2-3-1 with Dykes on the left of the 3.
Ah. Just assumed it was 442. I don't expect he'll change a winning side but I'd be tempted to bring Aird in for McGrath regardless.

14 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Looking forward to this game.    Another 500 mile round trip to sit and watch 2 teams trying to batter long balls all night rather than play slick quick football on the ground and all supporters saying , what  fantastic football the  teams are  playing.

Right, lets get back to reality.       This will be a hard game, but I really do believe that QOS will win.     Why?    Falkirk are just sh>>e. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:
Todd played in the middle yesterday. We played 4-2-3-1 with Dykes on the left of the 3.

Ah. Just assumed it was 442. I don't expect he'll change a winning side but I'd be tempted to bring Aird in for McGrath regardless.

As I've said in my posts already, he really should be dropping McGrath. He isn't a football player.

There are cases to be made for either Wilson or Aird. With Wilson you push Todd in to the 10 role, with Aird Dykes goes central.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
11 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Aird and Stirling could play wide with Dykes in the role McGrath played if we want to keep the same formation.

As DHD says Wilson coming in and Todd further forward is another option.

Edit to add i thought McGrath did OK yesterday. Good option from the bench.

7 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Funny (not)  how we win our 1st game in 8 attempts and against a promotion seeking side and then people want to chop and change the team for the next game.  

A good number of players were out on their feet at the end of yesterday's game and post match interview from Laurie Ellis confirms some players playing while not 100% fit.

Freshening up in one or two positions with the likes of Wilson or Aird might not be the worst idea,

Haven't all the claims being made about McGrath also been made about Wilson when he was played in centre-mid?  I thought his best performances have been left side of a back three.  It would seem to be a bit of a sideways swap to bring him in.

It really depends how the manager sees this game.  It's probably more a must not lose than a must win, so I'd be very surprised to see us start with Stirling, Todd, Aird, Dykes and Dobbie.  That's a bit gung ho.

As long as he keeps Doyle and Maguire as the central defensive partnership that's the most important thing.

11 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Haven't all the claims being made about McGrath also been made about Wilson when he was played in centre-mid?  I thought his best performances have been left side of a back three.  It would seem to be a bit of a sideways swap to bring him in.

It really depends how the manager sees this game.  It's probably more a must not lose than a must win, so I'd be very surprised to see us start with Stirling, Todd, Aird, Dykes and Dobbie.  That's a bit gung ho.

As long as he keeps Doyle and Maguire as the central defensive partnership that's the most important thing.

Yep I`d be very surprised if all those you list above start. If everyone is fit then an unchanged team seems likely. I`d personally play Wilson instead of McGrath and Todd further forward or wide left.  Aird on the bench is a decent option. That said and as stated above I thought McGrath did OK yesterday.

McGrath has started 1 game and people are writing him off already. Undoubtedly a step up from where he was, but give him a chance. Scott Mercer was gash for his first year or so at us, and he’s now one of our most consistent performers.

I do believe Aird and Wilson are better football players than McGrath, but dropping him after getting into the team and helping pick up our first win in 7 games is wrong

Edit to add: Dykes was the scapegoat last season, abused at every opportunity, and look how instrumental he is now. Started every single game this season I think.

Stirling was a write off last season, even loaned out to a fellow. Championship team. But people absolutely hate it when he’s dropped now.

Give McGrath a chance and he *could* be a player.

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Funny (not)  how we win our 1st game in 8 attempts and against a promotion seeking side and then people want to chop and change the team for the next game.  

This^^^!

Archived