Queens v Falkirk

9 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Haven't all the claims being made about McGrath also been made about Wilson when he was played in centre-mid?  I thought his best performances have been left side of a back three.  It would seem to be a bit of a sideways swap to bring him in.

It really depends how the manager sees this game.  It's probably more a must not lose than a must win, so I'd be very surprised to see us start with Stirling, Todd, Aird, Dykes and Dobbie.  That's a bit gung ho.

As long as he keeps Doyle and Maguire as the central defensive partnership that's the most important thing.

Playing attacking players at home would be reckless, can’t see Naysmith doing that.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McGrath has started 1 game and people are writing him off already. Undoubtedly a step up from where he was, but give him a chance. Scott Mercer was gash for his first year or so at us, and he’s now one of our most consistent performers.

I do believe Aird and Wilson are better football players than McGrath, but dropping him after getting into the team and helping pick up our first win in 7 games is wrong

Edit to add: Dykes was the scapegoat last season, abused at every opportunity, and look how instrumental he is now. Started every single game this season I think.

Stirling was a write off last season, even loaned out to a fellow. Championship team. But people absolutely hate it when he’s dropped now.

Give McGrath a chance and he *could* be a player.
It's not about writing him off. I never even saw him at Utd because I wasn't there. I suggested replacing him with Aird for the reason you yourself pointed out in your post: he's a better player. I'm all for giving players time but with relegation looming and only 6 games left I'd rather we played our strongest 11 rather than giving a player time to see if he's capable.

It's not about writing him off. I never even saw him at Utd because I wasn't there. I suggested replacing him with Aird for the reason you yourself pointed out in your post: he's a better player. I'm all for giving players time but with relegation looming and only 6 games left I'd rather we played our strongest 11 rather than giving a player time to see if he's capable.

Be tempted to do the same tbh, to leave Todd in middle of park.

Every game is different, I’m not one for you can’t change a winning team, every team has different strengths and you need to adjust whatever way to win the game. Tomorrow is massive game, no room for sentiment if there’s a better option there get it changed.

Queens squad almost back to full strength for the first time in a while for this game, Fraser Aird returns tomorrow after missing out v Dund Utd his parent team, Only Nicky Low misses out but he is getting closer to a return. 

Massive game for both clubs, I can see Dobbie being the difference between the sides once again.. 

On 30/03/2019 at 22:29, the_palmy_pie said:

One more win will see us nowhere near safe FFS. 

It wont, but it could be a big step towards safety. A win tomorrow will put us 4 points ahead of Partick, 5 ahead of Falkirk, 7 ahead of Alloa and above Morton. We only need to finish above two of those teams.

A win tomorrow, followed by a win over Morton on Saturday would be massive.

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

A win tomorrow, followed by a win over Morton on Saturday would be massive.

...as well as surprising.  

Great result on Saturday, but the chances of us suddenly winning three successive games after that run, remain pretty slim.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Queens squad almost back to full strength for the first time in a while for this game, Fraser Aird returns tomorrow after missing out v Dund Utd his parent team, Only Nicky Low misses out but he is getting closer to a return. 

Massive game for both clubs, I can see Dobbie being the difference between the sides once again.. 

long journey on Saturday for him, midweek game to follow at his age (take your pick of spoon to stir or fishing rod)

FTR I think Dobbie is probably in better shape than he has been for years recently.

I just fear we will try and shitfest another draw

On 3/30/2019 at 21:56, Duncan Freemason said:

I actually never thought he’d get us above 9th at any point in the season, but he did.

Yeah, he's only been in charge since late August. no real time to take one of the biggest clubs in the division above the bottom two.

Talk about lowering the bar to make mediocrity seem like success.

Yeah, he's only been in charge since late August. no real time to take one of the biggest clubs in the division above the bottom two.
Settle down m8. We've not acheived mediocrity yet.

I know you will be as happy as anyone else for us if/when we get there though.

I feel dirty just thinking about defending anything Falkirk but if he keeps them up he's done an excellent job. The first game we played them up at TFS they were dreadful. I'd go as far to say I've never seen a side as bad as that in years. Only Brechin were worse. We only won 3-0 because Dobbie never had his shooting boots on (and he got all 3!). Had he been at his best that day I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest it could have been double figures.

I have to admit though, the idea of Falkirk staying up and Morton going down would be pretty comical.

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Settle down m8. We've not acheived mediocrity yet.

I know you will be as happy as anyone else for us if/when we get there though.

I'll make sure I make occasional trips to the League 1 forum to make sure you're doing ok bud. Maybe bring you some essentials to get you moved in.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I feel dirty just thinking about defending anything Falkirk but if he keeps them up he's done an excellent job. The first game we played them up at TFS they were dreadful. I'd go as far to say I've never seen a side as bad as that in years. Only Brechin were worse. We only won 3-0 because Dobbie never had his shooting boots on (and he got all 3!). Had he been at his best that day I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest it could have been double figures.

I have to admit though, the idea of Falkirk staying up and Morton going down would be pretty comical.

Is it really excellent? Not many teams would have the finances to be able to clear out an entire squad so quickly and I'm sure most managers would have been able to turn the ship around if given the freedom to sign 15 players in a single transfer window.

To say it's a great achievement to avoid relegation with a club the size of Falkirk is nonsense and I'm sure McKinnon would agree. Especially in a league with such low quality. He'll still be looking at finishing 5th/6th and then getting ready for a title push next season. Staying up is merely a first step but Falkirk, like ourselves and Partick Thistle, should always be challenging promotion from this league and anything less than that is a disappointment.

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'll make sure I make occasional trips to the League 1 forum to make sure you're doing ok bud. Maybe bring you some essentials to get you moved in.

Is it really excellent? Not many teams would have the finances to be able to clear out an entire squad so quickly and I'm sure most managers would have been able to turn the ship around if given the freedom to sign 15 players in a single transfer window.

To say it's a great achievement to avoid relegation with a club the size of Falkirk is nonsense and I'm sure McKinnon would agree. Especially in a league with such low quality. He'll still be looking at finishing 5th/6th and then getting ready for a title push next season. Staying up is merely a first step but Falkirk, like ourselves and Partick Thistle, should always be challenging promotion from this league and anything less than that is a disappointment.

No one will argue the disappointment part of it. 

Guest Flash
20 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Haven't all the claims being made about McGrath also been made about Wilson when he was played in centre-mid?  I thought his best performances have been left side of a back three.  It would seem to be a bit of a sideways swap to bring him in.

It really depends how the manager sees this game.  It's probably more a must not lose than a must win, so I'd be very surprised to see us start with Stirling, Todd, Aird, Dykes and Dobbie.  That's a bit gung ho.

As long as he keeps Doyle and Maguire as the central defensive partnership that's the most important thing.

Earlier in the season, the team included Stirling, Todd, Harkins, Dykes and Dobbie. Didn’t win  all their games, but results included a 5-0 win over Ayr and 0-0 draws with County at home and ICT away. I don’t think Harkins is any less gung-ho than Aird. I get that it is important not to lose, but sometimes you have a better chance of that when you go with a positive outlook rather than a cautious one. Having creative players in the team doesn’t necessarily mean the team can’t also defend - clean sheets in the 3 games mentioned is evidence of that. And as our best players are the creative ones, we’d be better concentrating on that rather than relying on the weaker, defensive ones to try to get a point or sneak a win.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Comical doesn't even come close to describing it

I was ruling again Alloa out finishing above 10th but I'm still trying to work out who has the best run in.

It's scary to think we could jump up to 6th with a win tomorrow, that would put the fear into Morton.

Archived