The cost of drinking in pubs

4 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Wetherspoons are fucking terrible places to drink, I’d rather pay more than put up with them

I used to think that, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the Commercial, Accrington. Fabulous old building with a lot of character. Very clean, food and drink okay for the price, good service, they even wipe the tables when folk leave - that was something that didn't happen too often in Inverness.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-commercial-hotel-accrington

Edited by ICTJohnboy

18 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I used to think that, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the Commercial, Accrington. Fabulous old building with a lot of character. Very clean, food and drink okay for the price, good service, they even wipe the tables when folk leave - that was something that didn't happen too often in Inverness.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/lancashire/the-commercial-hotel-accrington

It very much depends on which one you go into - some are decent, others are awful, all have the bitter aftertaste of cash going into the pockets of Tim Martin

36 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Never been in a one that wasn’t soulless and full of c***s. The breakfast though, I like the breakfast to line the stomach for a heavy day on it 

It is if you don't control it. In a pub you realise you're getting pished when you walk to the bar, at home you don't and you wake up with an enormous hangover without noticing what you drank. Well done if you can, I'm not very good at it.

Interesting to hear that. I’d say I’m total opposite. Can easy have 4 cans or so at home and stop as start to feel it, but when “out” I struggle to realise my drunkenness at all and wake up in a state of confusion..

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

There's dozens of pubs in Dundee that are over £3.50 for a standard lager including pubs that utter scaffs drink in like Trades.

It isn't over £3.50 in Trades at all. Unless you're claiming the likes of Strapramen (or however it's spelt) and Peroni are 'standard lager'.

7 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

It's simple - it means that a casual pint while watching a football game gets ruled out sometimes if I want to spend cash on something else. I like a beer and going to the pub, but it's not the most important thing.

Well, that's the exact same as anything else, surely? Seems a bit strange to say it like its exclusively about drinking in the pub.

Paid £34 for 5 pints in Molde last year. :huh:

The sports bar was charging about £10 a pint when I was there a few years back. We got kicked out because my mate fell as asleep so went to a bar in one of the hotels that sat on the waterfront beside the stadium. 2 pints and a coffee (for the one that fell asleep) was about £30.

Oslo was about £7 a pint.

11 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Me and a group of my mates used to drink regularly in pubs around the city centre however in the last 5 or so years, all got memberships for our local clubby. As opposed to paying £3.50+ for a pint of tennents in the town, we are £2.40. 8 pints for under £20, cant beat it

As already alluded to, 8 pints for a £1.00 when I started...

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Someone on here said it was £12-15 a pint in Norway, when I went to Bergen in the Autumn it was about £6.50 for the local brew. Went up to £10 for international brand names. He was probably drinking in a strip bar or a posh hotel.

Or even a posh strip bar.

8 hours ago, throbber said:

Neither do I, I still enjoy a libation on my own couch.

See the source image

You drink bud and don't know what a chaser is, probably better off staying in the house to be honest.

I used to go out every weekend 10 or so years ago and got sick of it and had better things to spend my money on tbh. Social media is a bigger factor in the decline of pub culture than rising drink costs as well. 20+ years ago an average guy in his 30’s could either sit in his house watching tv on a Saturday night with no other human interaction available other than his mrs/house phone so the pub would seem like a more attractive than it is nowadays when you can speak to whoever you want online and not have to bother leaving the front door. Guys who are in their 30’s now are caught in the middle of this transformation as we remember days when the pub was pretty much the only option but have grown out of it all through social media influences whilst still in our youth.

I haven’t been in a pub this year I don’t think, I still enjoy a public libation but I never stay around long and the idea of being in a pub til closing time hammering as much drink down me as possible at a sky high fee just doesn’t appeal to me nowadays.

Yep, you sit and drink yourself to death alone in the house and tell yourself it's down to societal shifts.

You eventually realise that drunk people are arseholes and are terrible to be around. Maybe you’ll grow up one day and see that for yourself.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

You eventually realise that drunk people are arseholes and are terrible to be around. Maybe you’ll grow up one day and see that for yourself.

On the other hand if you enjoy the company of friends, a beer and also like watching drunk twats making a c**t of themselves then the pub is fucking glorious. 

Self loathing drunk guy.

I’m not an arsehole when drunk myself but I have seen some hideous behaviour from drunk people that has been laughed off as banter by other people which has put me off the entire scene long ago.

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You don’t find yourself waking up next to the hunchback of Notre dam after a night drinking in the hoose tbf.

Maybe not you, no...

On the other hand if you enjoy the company of friends, a beer and also like watching drunk twats making a c**t of themselves then the pub is fucking glorious. 

You’re right enough, so long as it’s done in moderation I suppose but I still don’t think the pub scene is a positive thing in society.