The cost of drinking in pubs

Best bet is gather your mates together and disappear to the likes of Poland for as many weekends as you can. The cost of flights, good standard Hotel and your spending money for a good weekend is about the equivalent of 2 nts drinking in this country.

We started doing this about 10 years ago but I only wish we had started it sooner.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

If ever there was a thread to make you feel old, it's this one. When beer went over 30p a pint, I vowed to cut down. Then again when it went over 50p. And £1.

It was 2/6d a pint when I started...

1 minute ago, Estragon is a fud said:

I'm sure it was £2.05 for a Tennents in my local Spoons back in '18 when I was 11. Might be misremembering though

Have you got those the wrong way round? Or am I being wooshed?

The price of a pint is getting ridiculous, but to an extent I sympathise with tax etc because some people would (and do) drink all day regularly if they can. It's when I'm getting the beers in and every twat wants some 'premium' lager like a Peroni and the pint costs about a fiver that I begin to think its all a bit mental. It's a pale lager – it's not a pint of Pol Roger.

A four pack of Tennent's is £3.60 in my local store, but in my local pub that gets you one pint of the same stuff. It does make me think twice sometimes.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The cost is ever increasing and it must surely be getting close to the point where a lot of folk won’t bother, or will instead take their custom to the big chains like Wetherspoons?

In perhaps 3 or 4 years we could see the cost of a regular pint be £5. Prices are quickly approaching £4 a pint.

It’s not sustainable surely? Wages aren’t increasing anywhere near as quickly as this (and indeed lots of other things), and sadly a lot of folk won’t just drink less (some will of course) but instead will fire off to the cheap chains as mentioned, or sitting in the house either all night or for longer.

Will we see more pubs closing?

Will you stop going out when drinks prices reach a certain point? If so, what price do you think would stop you? Will you just go out less?

Start drinking in Airdrie it's skid row cheap for a good beer to Tennents mild

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

A four pack of Tennent's is £3.60 in my local store, but in my local pub that gets you one pint of the same stuff. It does make me think twice sometimes.

I don't get this stance at all, tbh. 

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

I was in iceland a few weeks back, its nearly a tenner for a pint there... It almost bankrupted me

I first went there in the mid-90s and it was about £7-8 a pint then when it was only a couple of quid here.

Strange though it may seem, their prices haven't actually gone up all that much in the last 20 years. There was a club in Reykjavik back then where a Jack Daniel's - not a bottle, a shot - was about £15-16 IIRC.

The locals are big on pre-gaming before going out, mainly because at those kind of prices they need to be.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

I remember when Wetherspoons did pints for 80p or thereabouts, it was bitter (as it was NW England) and this was mid 90s. Age doesn't let me remember the prices of beer anywhere else!

In 2007 they did a daily special for 99p. 

My local is about £3.90 for lager. Was drinking around Hackney last week and that was closer to £6 a pint. I have found myself going long periods of time without a drink over the past year, and it is probably (it is, there is no probably) down to me being a tight b*****d. 

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

I was in iceland a few weeks back, its nearly a tenner for a pint there... It almost bankrupted me

i was in iceland in jan and never paid more than £4 a pint.every pub has a happy hour and all at different times.you can happy hour pub crawl your way round the city and never have to pay full price.

i would advise against drinking spirits in iceland as they are not allowed to be included in happy hours and will cost you a tenner with mixer.

3 hours ago, Dele said:

There's nowhere in Dundee (apart from wanky pubs) that are anywhere near £4 a pint for your run of the mill lager/beer. 

Love drinking in the pub. Any pub, really. It's the punters and camaraderie that keep me going back. Can't face a drink in the house. 

If it ever gets 'too expensive' then I'll just stop. I can never see a time in my lifetime when going out and just having a laugh with your mates and meeting random new folk will ever be too expensive, personally. 

I'm early thirties though, it might become a bit boring in time. 

There's dozens of pubs in Dundee that are over £3.50 for a standard lager including pubs that utter scaffs drink in like Trades.

30 minutes ago, Dele said:

I don't get this stance at all, tbh. 

It's simple - it means that a casual pint while watching a football game gets ruled out sometimes if I want to spend cash on something else. I like a beer and going to the pub, but it's not the most important thing.

Threads like this remind me there's quite a few things I don't miss about Scotland/UK. Once you get used to life over here and come back for Christmas etc the prices are a real shock to the system.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Pints are cheap for me now as I just drink pints of lime and soda. 

When I was aff it a while back my mate got charged 2.90 for said drink. He claimed he top decked the bog in protest.

Archived