The cost of drinking in pubs

The cost is ever increasing and it must surely be getting close to the point where a lot of folk won’t bother, or will instead take their custom to the big chains like Wetherspoons?

In perhaps 3 or 4 years we could see the cost of a regular pint be £5. Prices are quickly approaching £4 a pint.

It’s not sustainable surely? Wages aren’t increasing anywhere near as quickly as this (and indeed lots of other things), and sadly a lot of folk won’t just drink less (some will of course) but instead will fire off to the cheap chains as mentioned, or sitting in the house either all night or for longer.

Will we see more pubs closing?

Will you stop going out when drinks prices reach a certain point? If so, what price do you think would stop you? Will you just go out less?

Went to my local favourite pub the other night. Pint of T and a large glass of white wine with a dash of lemonade in it. £9... When I queried the price was told that it was because it was a large wine! (250ml)

Went to local Wetherspoons, exact same order £5.95.

No wonder my favourite place is always empty. If Wetherspoons played music and had sports on the television then probably most pubs in the town would shut down within weeks.

I only go to the pub once a month or so now. I used to be in most Friday and Saturdays but now I'd need to sell off my organs to afford that. There's a whisky bar I'm a fan of in Inverness which is really nice, but you could rattle through £100 there with ease.

Apparently Inverness is one of the few places that had pubs doing okay, there's nothing else to do up here after 8pm, so maybe that's why unless you want to run the Ferry obstacle course.

46 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The cost is ever increasing and it must surely be getting close to the point where a lot of folk won’t bother, or will instead take their custom to the big chains like Wetherspoons?

In perhaps 3 or 4 years we could see the cost of a regular pint be £5. Prices are quickly approaching £4 a pint.

It’s not sustainable surely? Wages aren’t increasing anywhere near as quickly as this (and indeed lots of other things), and sadly a lot of folk won’t just drink less (some will of course) but instead will fire off to the cheap chains as mentioned, or sitting in the house either all night or for longer.

Will we see more pubs closing?

Will you stop going out when drinks prices reach a certain point? If so, what price do you think would stop you? Will you just go out less?

You mean all day as well?

I was just talking with a mate of mine about this last night. I don't think pub prices have got horrendously dear as such, but drink is relatively cheap out of supermarkets and off licences and readily available most of the day. Wee family pubs are no longer sustainable, the pub in our village has closed (there used to be 2 back in the day, a village with roughly 50 houses), the village 2 miles away has lost its pub long ago, three pubs (at least) have closed in the nearest town, still leaves 5 I think plus a hotel/restaurant. Population of the town is 3,500.

When I came over here in 1973 Coleraine had 30 pubs and hotels, now it has 15 (and the town is at least twice the size it was in 1973, you could walk from one end to the other in just over half an hour or so.)

As was alluded to in another post, there is maybe a lot more to do nowadays, rather than sit in a pub. The cost of your drink has to pay staff costs/electricity/heating/rent, mortgage/ Sky fees (are they dear?)/refurbishment/maintenance etc.

I spend £9 a pint every time I’m out where I live, but flinch immediately when asked for more than £4 a T in Scotland. I don’t know what is wrong with my brain? But, I’ll never be happy drinking at home, never have, never will. If I’m drinking it’s in a social situe.

prices have probably went up and off sales are less than before , sure . think there's more to it tho .  just like the football attendances being less thanbefore it's probably just a sign of a changing way of life.   comparing to 25 years ago or longer is completely pointless , back then there were 4 tv channels and nae internet, nae smartphones,  nae budget airlines.  shops and businesses closed at 5 or 6 pm rather than working till late in the evening , I'm sure there are other examples of things to do nowadays that weren't there pre - 2000.

I'm not old enough to remember all the men going down the pub after a shift in the mine/ factory but I am old enough to remember when , if there was f**k all decent on telly, then you were snookered and had to go out to do something. 

Guest bernardblack

Depends on what you drink surely?

Pint of tennents I’d pay anywhere from £2.50-3.50

But if you’re looking at a pint of craft etc it could easily be £4-6

I don't go to pubs as often nowadays but went to a local one for the Scotland game last Thursday and was £2.90 a tennents. Seemed fair enough to me.

Some of the pubs down in Blackburn when I travel to Rovers games are dirt cheap. Last time I was down was stunned to see there was change from a tenner for a round of 4 drinks (think it was 2 lager and 2 strongbow dark fruit).

The pub underneath my house is pricey though. £4+ a pint apart from 1 special thats usually Fosters and even then that's £3.40 I think.

Pubs have been closing hand over fist for years. Lots of the reasons are covered in this thread, the smoking ban is another as well as the higher tax paid on beer sold in pubs compared to supermarkets.

I never go to the pub. We’ve lived in our house for six years and I’ve never been to any pubs nearby. It’s just not me, I’d rather stay in with my wife m, and now my son. When we lives in Leith I’d go out quite a lot more because I was younger and Leith has a lot of good places.

I think there’s also a change in habits - young people are more likely to be teetotal nowadays and, it seems to me, that eating out is a much bigger thing for young people today than it was when I was young. There’s also things like fitness, gyms, gaming that are more prevalent activities for young people than drinking in a pub.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

The cost is ever increasing and it must surely be getting close to the point where a lot of folk won’t bother

Will you stop going out when drinks prices reach a certain point?

^^^

"A long time ago, Jack and I agreed that when this stuff got too dear we were chucking it.  

And that, my friend, is too dear"

SG.JPG.b8a45fd0b985da4e43b13b01a3d3409a.JPG

There's nowhere in Dundee (apart from wanky pubs) that are anywhere near £4 a pint for your run of the mill lager/beer. 

Love drinking in the pub. Any pub, really. It's the punters and camaraderie that keep me going back. Can't face a drink in the house. 

If it ever gets 'too expensive' then I'll just stop. I can never see a time in my lifetime when going out and just having a laugh with your mates and meeting random new folk will ever be too expensive, personally. 

I'm early thirties though, it might become a bit boring in time. 

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Pubs have been closing hand over fist for years. Lots of the reasons are covered in this thread, the smoking ban is another as well as the higher tax paid on beer sold in pubs compared to supermarkets.

I never go to the pub. We’ve lived in our house for six years and I’ve never been to any pubs nearby. It’s just not me, I’d rather stay in with my wife m, and now my son. When we lives in Leith I’d go out quite a lot more because I was younger and Leith has a lot of good places.

I think there’s also a change in habits - young people are more likely to be teetotal nowadays and, it seems to me, that eating out is a much bigger thing for young people today than it was when I was young. There’s also things like fitness, gyms, gaming that are more prevalent activities for young people than drinking in a pub.

I'd actually forgotten about that! :lol:

The breathalyzer probably started the decline of the country pubs.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

If ever there was a thread to make you feel old, it's this one. When beer went over 30p a pint, I vowed to cut down. Then again when it went over 50p. And £1.

Our student union bar had 50p a shot and £1 a pint offers every day. As it took ages to get served and the place was mobbed it would mean taking a swig of whatever the pint was then chucking in the treble spirit. Classy way to drink... 

When I became of legal drinking age (2003) a pint of Tennents was £1.60 in my local, The Fluke in Inverness  Was in a few months ago it was £3.70.  Wild IMO.