The cost of drinking in pubs

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happened to wander into Cloisters on Brougham Street on Saturday....a bit miffed that they've stopped selling Belhaven Best, which is my normal pint. Spent the afternoon on bottles of Weihenstephan @ £4.50 a pop.

Normally it's £3.30 for a Belhaven in The Abbey.........

It was 7 cans and one bottle and also a bottle of hop house 13. And a little bottle of Rioja to mix it up a bit.

Are you not steaming after dinking all that? I don’t really see the attraction of sitting in getting drunk.

Are you not steaming after dinking all that? I don’t really see the attraction of sitting in getting drunk.

Not really, I had my first drink at 2 and my last at about 9 so never really feel drunk at all. It certainly isn’t anything to be proud of I admit!

If it was purely down to saving money, I’d still rather go and have 2 pints in the pub than drink 8 cans in the house.

ETA I’ll happily drink wine in the house but drinking cans in the house is shite.

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

If it was purely down to saving money, I’d still rather go and have 2 pints in the pub than drink 8 cans in the house.

ETA I’ll happily drink wine in the house but drinking cans in the house is shite.

Each to their own, In an ideal world I would rather be out every weekend for food and drink but I do have a penchant for knocking them back in the house which some people view as unusual.

Each to their own, In an ideal world I would rather be out every weekend for food and drink but I do have a penchant for knocking them back in the house which some people view as unusual.
What's that book by Irvine Welsh, Sex lives of the Masterchefs? I always picture you as the guy who eats and drinks all the time without any repercussions and some poor guy somewhere else in Leith is falling to bits.

On 3/29/2019 at 13:44, supermik said:

Went to my local favourite pub the other night. Pint of T and a large glass of white wine with a dash of lemonade in it. £9... When I queried the price was told that it was because it was a large wine! (250ml)

Went to local Wetherspoons, exact same order £5.95.

No wonder my favourite place is always empty. If Wetherspoons played music and had sports on the television then probably most pubs in the town would shut down within weeks.

Spoons are the ryanair of pubs tbf. It costs pubs money to play music and subscribe to Sky and BT, hence why you pay more to drink in good pubs. If Spoons started doing these things then prices would have to go up.

I normally alternate my routine - sometimes I'll go down the club for a couple of pints on Friday, then I'll get 4 or 5 bottles of ale from Aldi and stay in and drink them on Saturday, then the next week it's the other way around, but I'll only have a couple of bottles as I'm working on a Saturday morning.

16 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Budweiser tastes like bread.

Nah, I like bread

7 hours ago, throbber said:

Not really, I had my first drink at 2 and my last at about 9 so never really feel drunk at all. It certainly isn’t anything to be proud of I admit!

Did you eat? Bullshit you weren't steaming.

What's that book by Irvine Welsh, Sex lives of the Masterchefs? I always picture you as the guy who eats and drinks all the time without any repercussions and some poor guy somewhere else in Leith is falling to bits.

Haha, well I definitely feel repercussions from it but never enough to make me stop doing it sadly.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Haha, well I definitely feel repercussions from it but never enough to make me stop doing it sadly.

Keep going at the rate you are and I doubt you'll have much choice.

11 hours ago, Donathan said:

Spoons are the ryanair of pubs tbf. It costs pubs money to play music and subscribe to Sky and BT, hence why you pay more to drink in good pubs. If Spoons started doing these things then prices would have to go up.

theres a lot of really poor 'spoons but theres a lot of really poor pubs too,some decent ones out there too though..i don't get out that often so when I do I like to be able to chat with the folks im with,not get deafened by music,i can do that in a weatherspoons without bankrupting myself and they've usually got a very good selection of bevvy as well.a lot of pubs have been ripping off their customers for years(you know,budget puts 2p on a pint,they raise by 10p) and are now whining because people don't visit them anymore.

spoons have got their pricing for food and drink right,thats why theyre popular

Keep going at the rate you are and I doubt you'll have much choice.

I don’t drink Tuesday - fridays. Most Friday nights I’m happy not drinking but I’ll always have a few on Saturday then go balls deep for it on the Sunday and then a couple of curers on Monday after a tough day at work.

13 hours ago, Donathan said:

Aberdeen has two Wetherspoons

Justice Mill has music

Archibald Simpsons has Sky Sports

They are both still crap pubs

Archived