Mo V Stranraer

Very poor from Stranraer especially first half, continuelly high balls to Innes Cameron up front all meat and drink to Dillon and co.The second half was a wee bit better when we brought on wide players Lamont and Victoria,but all in all not good enough.I think the defence showed an uneasy feeling at times playing in front of our reserve Keeper Avici,although the kid didn't too much wrong, any team would miss Max Currie in goals.The lack of squad depth is now showing a bit with only 4 players on the bench,one an Amateur GK and 4 first team squad members now out for the season,sums up our season really.I don't think Montrose had to be that good really,our first half performance wouldn't have troubled Linlinthgow Rose.One thing I have noticed about Montrose is that they are very good at game management or in old money time wasting.For a team who have just come up from League 2,Petrie has got them very street wise.I noticed at Stair pk when they got 2 up early doors they killed the game at every opportunity.On Saturday they got a throw in next to the half way line,btw it was a Stranraer throw in even the home fans were laughing at the decision.Anyway by the time Shaun Dillon picked up the ball,had pleasantries with the home bench,stole 20 yards,he was well past the Stranraer bench when he eventually took it,this all took 90 seconds,very frustrating to watch.I timed the final sub coming on,the player coming off shook hands with nearly everyone,had a wee clap to the crowd and was like Brian the snail,yep 1 minute 40 seconds,the Ref added on 2 minutes of stoppage time,with 6 subs and various other hold ups by the Gable endies,should have been at least 5 minutes,no wonder teams do it.Thank god that is now our last trip to Angus,blues fans from Stranraer have had this 400 odd mile round journey 9 times this season and if I see another poster with 'Its a fair old trek to Stranraer' I'll scream,you've done it twice,but going by visiting Angus fans to Stair pk not many have made the journey once never mind twice.

2 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Very poor from Stranraer especially first half, continuelly high balls to Innes Cameron up front all meat and drink to Dillon and co.The second half was a wee bit better when we brought on wide players Lamont and Victoria,but all in all not good enough.I think the defence showed an uneasy feeling at times playing in front of our reserve Keeper Avici,although the kid didn't too much wrong, any team would miss Max Currie in goals.The lack of squad depth is now showing a bit with only 4 players on the bench,one an Amateur GK and 4 first team squad members now out for the season,sums up our season really.I don't think Montrose had to be that good really,our first half performance wouldn't have troubled Linlinthgow Rose.One thing I have noticed about Montrose is that they are very good at game management or in old money time wasting.For a team who have just come up from League 2,Petrie has got them very street wise.I noticed at Stair pk when they got 2 up early doors they killed the game at every opportunity.On Saturday they got a throw in next to the half way line,btw it was a Stranraer throw in even the home fans were laughing at the decision.Anyway by the time Shaun Dillon picked up the ball,had pleasantries with the home bench,stole 20 yards,he was well past the Stranraer bench when he eventually took it,this all took 90 seconds,very frustrating to watch.I timed the final sub coming on,the player coming off shook hands with nearly everyone,had a wee clap to the crowd and was like Brian the snail,yep 1 minute 40 seconds,the Ref added on 2 minutes of stoppage time,with 6 subs and various other hold ups by the Gable endies,should have been at least 5 minutes,no wonder teams do it.Thank god that is now our last trip to Angus,blues fans from Stranraer have had this 400 odd mile round journey 9 times this season and if I see another poster with 'Its a fair old trek to Stranraer' I'll scream,you've done it twice,but going by visiting Angus fans to Stair pk not many have made the journey once never mind twice.

Can't, or rather won't fault anything you say but there is a lot of understandable frustration in your comments. Stranny are having a hard time at present and we at Montrose know all about that sort of thing. Maybe draw a line under it though and look at the positive side of things. There are still 15 points to play for and Stranny have some decent players. So long as you can put 11 men on the park with Max Currie back between the sticks you still have a chance if you can avoid 10th place because I think you would win a play-off if finishing 9th and in any case you could still very well be 8th.

I did do both trips to Stair Park but 8 trips up to Angus is a bummer for you but at least you didn't have Peterhead and Elgin too - this season at least. Could have Cove Rangers though if not careful.

Thought Montrose were superb on Saturday and have chosen the right time to hit a bit of form. The whole defence was fantastic, thought Bolo in particular had a great game. Watson, Masson and Redman all played effective leadership roles. Special mention has to go to Ross Campbell who ran his socks off and also contributed with some nifty footwork. Great decision by SP to bring him in to utilise his experience and provide great hold up play.

Mad to think after tomorrow night we could be level on points with East Fife and battling away for a play off spot. What a season, what a team, what a manager!

19 minutes ago, GableEnder21 said:

Thought Montrose were superb on Saturday and have chosen the right time to hit a bit of form. The whole defence was fantastic, thought Bolo in particular had a great game. Watson, Masson and Redman all played effective leadership roles. Special mention has to go to Ross Campbell who ran his socks off and also contributed with some nifty footwork. Great decision by SP to bring him in to utilise his experience and provide great hold up play.

Mad to think after tomorrow night we could be level on points with East Fife and battling away for a play off spot. What a season, what a team, what a manager!

No offence my friend but don't think you want to go anywhere near the Championship with that side,remember what happened to Brechin.

1 minute ago, Car54wherareyou said:

No offence my friend but don't think you want to go anywhere near the Championship with that side,remember what happened to Brechin.

My offence taken. Didn't say I would want us to necessary go up but the excitement of a play off would be fantastic. We are an ambitious club.

1 hour ago, MOFOREVER said:

Can't, or rather won't fault anything you say but there is a lot of understandable frustration in your comments. Stranny are having a hard time at present and we at Montrose know all about that sort of thing. Maybe draw a line under it though and look at the positive side of things. There are still 15 points to play for and Stranny have some decent players. So long as you can put 11 men on the park with Max Currie back between the sticks you still have a chance if you can avoid 10th place because I think you would win a play-off if finishing 9th and in any case you could still very well be 8th.

I did do both trips to Stair Park but 8 trips up to Angus is a bummer for you but at least you didn't have Peterhead and Elgin too - this season at least. Could have Cove Rangers though if not careful.

Agreed,but it would probably be EK.Just watched the highlights omg our defending looks even worse on tape,no excuses but I think Max was badly missed.

3 minutes ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Why would you to be in the play offs if you don't want to go up.

You'll see from my comment I didn't say I wanted us to go up or stay in league 1 just said it would be exciting.

1 minute ago, GableEnder21 said:

You'll see from my comment I didn't say I wanted us to go up or stay in league 1 just said it would be exciting.

Okay,so maybe you go up,would you fear being another Brechin as I don't think your even as good as that Brechin side who won only 4 points,get relegated and start losing crowds like your Angus neighbours.

Just now, Car54wherareyou said:

Okay,so maybe you go up,would you fear being another Brechin as I don't think your even as good as that Brechin side who won only 4 points,get relegated and start losing crowds like your Angus neighbours.

If I was to be honest I would say no, I would rather we cemented our place in league 1 and strengthened in the summer to go again next season however getting beaten in a play off would not be a bad thing. Two years ago we got beat in the league 2 play off against Peterhead and I think it just made us more determined to do better the next season and we went on to win the league.

7 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:

If I was to be honest I would say no, I would rather we cemented our place in league 1 and strengthened in the summer to go again next season however getting beaten in a play off would not be a bad thing. Two years ago we got beat in the league 2 play off against Peterhead and I think it just made us more determined to do better the next season and we went on to win the league.

The bottom line is that the squad we have will never play to deliberately lose a game (but we'll see what happens at Brechin on Tuesday night) so if we end up in the play-offs so be it. If we don't then so be it and I agree we aren't ready for promotion again. Having said that, nobody should under-estimate the infrastucture in place and being built on steadily at Links park so if we did stumble into promotion I'm sure the squad would be strengthened. Nevertheless what Car54 says is a possibility which is why few Mo fans will be devastated if we stay in L1 - and of course we aren't mathematically safe from 10th and 9th places yet albeit unlikely.

If we did go up,which we won't in my opinion. I reckon we would get more than 4 points easy to be quite honest.

11 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Why would you to be in the play offs if you don't want to go up.

11 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:

I'm in this thread from a Stranraer perspective but couldn't help be drawn to this. 

Why wouldn't Mo want a playoff game? It'd possibly be against Partick or Falkirk, teams they have hardly played, at least not for ages, who would bring a big crowd and plenty of excitement to Links Park.

If they win, then worry about what happens next. If they get gubbed, count the money, assess the weaknesses against higher level opponents and regroup for next season knowing top 4 is achievable. 

But what if they win the play offs,Brechin showed you can fluke it.Go into the Championship with a sub standard team ,get gubbed every week ,lose a 100 off the crowd during the season,Brechin still recovering from last season and in danger of double relegation,all pretty exciting eh.

If we did go up,which we won't in my opinion. I reckon we would get more than 4 points easy to be quite honest.

Don’t believe you are as good as the promoted Brechin side, so you would require a significant overhaul to your squad.

Don’t believe you are as good as the promoted Brechin side, so you would require a significant overhaul to your squad.

Too be fair, we are getting ahead of ourselves. Four of our last five games are against the top4, 3 away, and Airdrie - no easy games. Mind you we only need to be above East Fife and we are 2 up at Brechin (60 mins to go).

Cant pic or chose in a 10 team league. Should always strive to be in the highest league possible as the following season u could be going in the other direction. Montrose should be trying to hard to go up. Why not. We would rather be in their position. Good luck Montrose.

6 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

Cant pic or chose in a 10 team league. Should always strive to be in the highest league possible as the following season u could be going in the other direction. Montrose should be trying to hard to go up. Why not. We would rather be in their position. Good luck Montrose.

We are delighted to be in the position we are in. At the start of the season, our target was eighth position. We have exceeded all expectations to be within a shout of the play offs ( at the right end of the table ) but in all honesty, the team isn't ready for another step up. It took us a few weeks to find our feet in this league but once we did, we certainly didn't look out of place.

We have been on a remarkable journey since SP took over. The journey isn't over but one step at a time.

This is an arguement I've seen over the years on here and on the old Airdrie message board.
People saying "do we really want promoted".
We (as a club) have benefitted more than any other club with surprise promotions etc due to other clubs mistakes and every time it has backfired spectacularly, but you know what, what's the point in playing if you can't be in the highest league possible.
You honestly think the Montrose board are sceptical about going up, with the massive jump in crowds and increased revenue? The fans with a chance to visit grounds, some for the very first time. A Friday night game against Inverness/Patrick/Dundee Utd live on BBC Scotland.
Naw I think we'll just consolidate and visit Airdrie/Kirkcaldy or Dumbarton again.

Archived