Motherwell vs St Johnstone

Probably not a great deal at stake here for either side. Unless of course Hibs happen to slip up on the Friday night at Livi.

It probably says a lot about the way we’ve been playing at Fir Park in 2019 though that I’m still very much looking forward to it regardless. Hopefully Turnbull, Hastie and Ariyibi are on top form again.

Think we’ve only made something like 1 change to the starting line up so far in the league in 2019? However with only 1 win in our last 4 and a fairly lacklustre display at Easter Road before the break, I wonder if Robinson will be tempted to freshen things up a bit here.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we might see Chris Cadden from the bench, would be happy with the 'usual' starting eleven.

I think you've called it spot on, not a great deal up for grabs, but we need to win to ensure it's at least possible to achieve a top-six finish. 

26 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Think we’ve only made something like 1 change to the starting line up so far in the league in 2019? However with only 1 win in our last 4 and a fairly lacklustre display at Easter Road before the break, I wonder if Robinson will be tempted to freshen things up a bit here.

Thought about that; Hastie, Turnbull and Campbell have been away with Scotland u21s and I noticed James Scott wasn't involved with the Reserves at all on Monday. whether that's injury related or we're looking at him for a start on Saturday IDK.

I'd be surprised if we chucked him in from the start given how long he's been out but Cadden's available again and was apparently playing in midfield for the Reserves.

I can't see us not starting Turnbull but there are options there for Robinson if he wants to change things up a bit in other areas.

I've no idea how likely it is but seeing as he's been pinging them in and generally running the show for the Reserves lately it'd be good to see if we could get Semple involved on the bench or something.

If we played like we did last night we'll be humped, flanks were wide open and that seems to be a bright spot for Motherwell lately.

Unleash O'Halloran and Swanson pls Tommy.

Clark 

Foster - Kerr - Gordon - Tanser

Callachan - Craig 

MOH - Kennedy - Swanson

Kane

Fancy us to win 2-1 here. One of those games where we start well, go 2-0 in the first half before the inevitable Motherwell style foot off the gas to allow them back into it and ensure a nervy finish. 

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If we played like we did last night we'll be humped, flanks were wide open and that seems to be a bright spot for Motherwell lately.

Unleash O'Halloran and Swanson pls Tommy.

Clark 

Foster - Kerr - Gordon - Tanser

Callachan - Craig 

MOH - Kennedy - Swanson

Kane

Have to say I like this team. Not much chance of seeing it mind. 

In a decade, our fans will still be calling for O'Halloran, Kennedy and Swanson behind the striker. It's as likely to happen then as it is now. 

Last night was brutal. Play like that and Motherwell will annihilate us. 

If we were in good form, you'd be looking forward to this in the hope Hibs slipped up but three points last night shouldn't mask the cracks, we are low on confidence and in poor form. 

Motherwell win and comfortably. 

What's the script with Tony Watt? I see he's been on the bench a fair bit of late.

I know he's not exactly been prolific but he seemed to be starting regularly up until January and was getting decent write ups for his all round play during the Sexy St Johnstone run.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

What's the script with Tony Watt? I see he's been on the bench a fair bit of late.

I know he's not exactly been prolific but he seemed to be starting regularly up until January and was getting decent write ups for his all round play during the Sexy St Johnstone run.

Spends most of his time streaming on YouTube these days.

With both teams suffering defeats in their last matches I think both teams will be up for this one and we could be in for a very good match!

Would start James Scott this weekend instead of Curtis Main, Danny Johnson was absolutely hopeless at the game at Easter Road so would leave him on the bench. Wonder if robbo may make some changes due to the young lads playing for the U21s for Scotland?

Im going to say 3-1 to Well! With Turnbull being amongst the goals again!!

Was very impressive at the start of the season but his stats don't back up his wage demands for next season.

He's just not scored enough goals to justify a place in the team. He was offering us a bit in terms of his overall game but he's gone off the boil since the winter break. 

He needs to pick up some form and score some more goals if he's going to be worth retaining as he'll be one of our higher earners. He's scored 3 league goals - against Dundee, St Mirren and what is really an own goal against Hibs - and only scored once more against a top flight side - Hamilton in the cup. 

He started his Saints career brightly and I wouldn't be disappointed if we could get something sorted with him for next season but equally wouldn't be devastated if he left and we used his wage to try someone else up top.

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

He's just not scored enough goals to justify a place in the team. He was offering us a bit in terms of his overall game but he's gone off the boil since the winter break. 

He needs to pick up some form and score some more goals if he's going to be worth retaining as he'll be one of our higher earners. He's scored 3 league goals - against Dundee, St Mirren and what is really an own goal against Hibs - and only scored once more against a top flight side - Hamilton in the cup. 

He started his Saints career brightly and I wouldn't be disappointed if we could get something sorted with him for next season but equally wouldn't be devastated if he left and we used his wage to try someone else up top.

Cheers Kyle.

I was just curious as I seemed to remember reading something about him looking for a long term deal at Saints (it may have been in January?) and his benching seemed to kind of coincide with that so I wondered if he'd just not been that good, there had been a change of shape that didn't suit or he'd just taken the huff.

Tommy had been saying for quite a while that Tony Watt was one of the players in contract discussions with the club. In a more recent interview, Tommy mentioned all of the same players with the exception of Tony Watt. My expert prediction is that an agreement couldn't be reached and both parties are aware that he won't be here next season, so Tommy is therefore opting to play Chris Kane instead.

Archived