Motherwell vs St Johnstone

I thought we were poor for the first 70 minutes to be honest. St Johnstone nullified our wingers, we were sloppy on the ball and created next to nothing. The penalty miss and Kane’s half volley from 6 yards were big chances for them.

However, we played some sexy stuff in that last 20 minutes and just about deserved the win in the end. It was great to see Cadden back as well.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's generous to say the match was even in the first half. We had some amount of the ball. Never made any chances though.

I'd have to see the pen again but I thought that it was never a pen. Probably was and I had a rubbish view.

We never started the 2nd half at all and Robbo recognised changes needed to be made. Shooty in after that.

I normally go to Motherwell away. I didn't today for the reason that I'm scunnered not only with the lack of good football we have played since Christmas but the fact our team has turned into a bunch of gutless cowards. When once losing a goal meant very little, now its utterly catastrophic. 

So where do we go? It's hard to say to be honest. You think back to when we played well we had Kennedy and Watt up top. He's not played that this year has he? Why? Maybe we go back to that.

Midfield? Where do I start. Does anyone deserve a game just now? At the moment I'd say no. We need to pick 4 of them but Goss and Callachan aren't good enough for Saints. Davidson - looking more limited by the game but largely because we are relying on him to play football. Its just not his game. 

Defence? Joe needs time out the team and Gordon needs a run until the end of the season unless Joe gets that contract signed.  Foster? Hmmm.

I thought we were ok to begin with but as soon as Cadden and Frear came on we were out of sight. A fully fit Cadden in this team will be delightful.

Shoutout to David Turnbull for being better at football than literally everybody.
I actually thought Turnbull was fairly poor today, goal aside.

Rodriguez Gorrin was my MOTM. Thought he was outstanding today.

1 hour ago, Broon_100 said:

Midfield? Where do I start. Does anyone deserve a game just now? 

Craig is doing alright. Agree that Davidson, although clearly not the force he was, isn't being used effectively. Callachan has good attributes and bad. He'll continue to be up and down unless the manager can find the players to compliment him. Goss has just been a disaster; 1 draw the best the team have managed in his 7 appearances. Hopefully with top six gone, he will be as well. There is absolutely no benefit to his further involvement.

After a fairly uneventful first half it was a strange second period. Saints seemed to really up the pace at the start of the second half and took control for 15-20 minutes. Our substitutions helped but they were already starting to fall out of it by then and I did wonder if they had tired themselves out.

With the missed penalty and Kane trying to murder the ball when he could have picked his spot from 6 yards out, Saints could have been out of sight but by the end we could have won by more with Tait hitting the bar and Frear missing when put through with only Clark to beat.

I've just read the BBC report and their stats have Saints as only having one shot on target and that must have been the penalty. Is that right? Did they really not have another attempt on target? Their stats do have us only committing 2 fouls to their 1 so they might just be rubbish.

He didn’t have his most influential game but the way he maintains possession and picks passes is just bloody lovely.
Agreed and I think that's what I like about him.

There was a couple of times he went back the way just to keep possession and a few of the morons round about me were giving him pelters. Most likely the same folk who were moaning when we were lumping the ball to absolutely no one earlier in the season.

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Sean Goss is the most powderpuff footballer I've ever seen, some laugh.

A stroll for the MYT.

Can see why Wright signed him.

Can't see why Wright continues to play him.

Agreed and I think that's what I like about him.

There was a couple of times he went back the way just to keep possession and a few of the morons round about me were giving him pelters. Most likely the same folk who were moaning when we were lumping the ball to absolutely no one earlier in the season.

There’s someone sits in the Cooper tends to shout “GET IT IN THE BOX” at any opportunity. Even if there’s nobody in the box.

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

Was there a trip before the two Saints players fell into each other for the penalty?

No. It wasn't close to being a penalty. 

No debate for me, Gillespie’s the man in possession of the gloves and Carson will have to wait his turn to get back in.

Personally, I thought Carson’s form had dipped slightly this season before his DVT diagnosis. Whether that played some part I don’t know but he just didn’t seem to hit the same heights as last season. 

Gillespie hasn’t put a foot wrong since coming in and with 6 clean sheets in 10 games in 2019 I think he’s firmly established himself as first choice. The penalty save was massive yesterday and I think incredibly, that’s his 3rd penalty save out of the 4 he’s faced. 

As an aside, how good was Charlie Dunne yesterday? The man’s a machine- I genuinely can’t think of another Motherwell player I’ve seen with his combination of pace and power. Lovely driving run and pass for the opener as well, something I never thought I’d say about Dunne.

Archived