Motherwell vs St Johnstone

30 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Tommy had been saying for quite a while that Tony Watt was one of the players in contract discussions with the club. In a more recent interview, Tommy mentioned all of the same players with the exception of Tony Watt. My expert prediction is that an agreement couldn't be reached and both parties are aware that he won't be here next season, so Tommy is therefore opting to play Chris Kane instead.

On that basis, explain Joe?

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

What's the script with Tony Watt? I see he's been on the bench a fair bit of late.

I know he's not exactly been prolific but he seemed to be starting regularly up until January and was getting decent write ups for his all round play during the Sexy St Johnstone run.

He was a striker missing sitters in a team failing to score.

I have a feeling we'll stick with a similar formation to last night.  Saints fans who thought last night was a bit of a shitfest should definitely avoid Motherwell on Saturday. If Hibs drop points on Friday then we'll be at shitfestfactor 10.

I actually thought Jason Kerr had a poor opening spell last night, he did improve and had a good second half though. Shaughnessy had a couple of poor moments, especially completely missing the ball in the second half to let st Mirren in, but he also had some very good headers and clearances. It does look like he's getting extra grief because of his circumstances.  Thought Liam Gordon was the pick of the three, seemed to stroll through the game.

Tanser looked like he was perfect for the wing back role earlier in the season, but offered practically nothing going forward last night.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I have a feeling we'll stick with a similar formation to last night.  Saints fans who thought last night was a bit of a shitfest should definitely avoid Motherwell on Saturday. If Hibs drop points on Friday then we'll be at shitfestfactor 10.

I actually thought Jason Kerr had a poor opening spell last night, he did improve and had a good second half though. Shaughnessy had a couple of poor moments, especially completely missing the ball in the second half to let st Mirren in, but he also had some very good headers and clearances. It does look like he's getting extra grief because of his circumstances.  Thought Liam Gordon was the pick of the three, seemed to stroll through the game.

Tanser looked like he was perfect for the wing back role earlier in the season, but offered practically nothing going forward last night.

Big difference for me at the moment is ball at feet. Kerr's looking fairly composed,  coming forward and being strong and positive with good distribution.  Shaughnessy can't see a pass and/or panics a poor ball vaguely into the channel. He was embarrased a couple of times last night with balls over his head but that happens sometimes. 

Kerr's a better player at the moment but he'll still make mistakes. Joe's making more of them though and there's not a lot of captaining going on. The loud Irish voice last night was coming from the touchlines. 

Gordon is rock solid and should be starting, but we all know that. 

6 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Spends most of his time streaming on YouTube these days.

Not checked it so pure speculation, but it wouldnt be a shock to discover TW found out hes been up to the early hours streaming games and dropping him was a form of discipline for that.

20 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Big difference for me at the moment is ball at feet. Kerr's looking fairly composed,  coming forward and being strong and positive with good distribution.  Shaughnessy can't see a pass and/or panics a poor ball vaguely into the channel. He was embarrased a couple of times last night with balls over his head but that happens sometimes. 

Kerr's a better player at the moment but he'll still make mistakes. Joe's making more of them though and there's not a lot of captaining going on. The loud Irish voice last night was coming from the touchlines. 

Gordon is rock solid and should be starting, but we all know that. 

Agree with a lot of that, but it's been magnified ever since Celtic continually allowed us to play the ball out to Shaughnessy whilst covering Kerr and then channelling Joe onto his left foot. Other teams saw how weak he was playing the ball on his left side and copied the tactic.  The past couple of months, Joe is looking exactly like what he is; a centre back playing on the wrong side, similar to when Anderson was moved across to play there when partnering Shaughnessy after Frazer Wright left.

On a slightly different note, Zander's distribution was great in the first half yesterday, dinking the ball over the st Mirren striker to Kerr's feet several times to get us in comfortable possession. It was a huge improvement from Bell.

Edited by PauloPerth
Dinking not drinking

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree with a lot of that, but it's been magnified ever since Celtic continually allowed us to play the ball out to Shaughnessy whilst covering Kerr and then channelling Joe onto his left foot. Other teams saw how weak he was playing the ball on his left side and copied the tactic.  The past couple of months, Joe is looking exactly like what he is; a centre back playing on the wrong side, similar to when Anderson was moved across to play there when partnering Shaughnessy after Frazer Wright left.

On a slightly different note, Zander's distribution was great in the first half yesterday, drinking the ball over the st Mirren striker to Kerr's feet several times to get us in comfortable possession. It was a huge improvement from Bell.

Bang on. The difference in distribution between Clarke and Bell in terms of energy, speed, variety and vision is painful. 

Anderson's left foot is genuinely hilarious at times, but for some reason it feels that Joe is more of a bombscare. Maybe it's just higher expectations. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Everything about Clark is orders of magnitude better than Bell.

Clark
Foster, Kerr, Gordon, Tanser
MOH, Callachan, Craig, Davidson, Kennedy
Kane

Alternatively drop one of the three central midfielders and play Watt and Kane up top. Feel we need at least one additional player who actually has some attacking ability...

It’s funny how this season Motherwell went from playing long ball, crap boring to watch football. To a team with energy and pace and plenty of attaching players. Saints on the other hand have gone the opposite way, with a number of attacking options plenty of teams in the league would want, sitting on the bench.

Now I know Kane scored and played reasonably well, but for me on Wednesday night, Tony Watt game on and showed why he’s a better player. He beat more men in that one brilliant run than Kane all season. For that reason I’d play the below -

Clark

Foster, Kerr, Gordon, Tanser

Craig, Callahan, Davidson

O’Halloran, Watt, Kennedy

Match up to Motherwell 4–3-3 and see at the end of the day who’s prepared to track back more and take a chance. f**k it got nothing to lose at this time of the season. Could end up 4-4 if both teams go for it.

Very difficult to ratiocinate an effective approach for Motherwell's 4-3-3 tomorrow. If we were impressive operating the back three you'd maybe take the risk but even matching up, I worry they will have the upper hand. 

Tommy Wright earns his corn tomorrow if he can come up with something and get a result. 

He won't and Saints won't though. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Very difficult to ratiocinate an effective approach for Motherwell's 4-3-3 tomorrow. If we were impressive operating the back three you'd maybe take the risk but even matching up, I worry they will have the upper hand. 

Tommy Wright earns his corn tomorrow if he can come up with something and get a result. 

He won't and Saints won't though. 

We have to match up and be better. If it doesn't work then the players are to blame, simple as. We need a very big performance from every single player, let's sort the men from the boys.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not checked it so pure speculation, but it wouldnt be a shock to discover TW found out hes been up to the early hours streaming games and dropping him was a form of discipline for that.

Correct, unbridled speculation.

Follow him on IG and he's only ever streaming his you tube stuff during the day. It's eye wateringly boring stuff though, as is watching anyone else play a computer game.

Gillespie 

Tait Aldred Dunne Livingstone 

Grimshaw Gorrin Turnbull 

Frear Scott Ariyibi

A couple of changes after we had a few in the u21s on international duty, especially with Aberdeen and Rangers to come in the next week. 

Hopefully we'll see the return of Cadden from the bench too. 

2-1 Motherwell (Ariyibi & Turnbull) to keep the faint top six hopes alive for another few days.