Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

24 minutes ago, Desp said:

That's the thing.  A huge number of fans spotted this almost upon his appointment.  The fact that those in charge, supposed friends of his, put him into a job like this when he's clearly not right, in absolutely disgraceful. 

Alex McLeish wasn't fit for this job, physically or mentally.  That's been abundantly clear for a long time.  However, the problem does not start and end with McLeish.  Those in charge need cleared out as well.  I mean, we've given the keys to our National Association to a guy who used to run Cove Rangers FFS!  Fucking Amateur hour. 

The first call from whoever is in charge of this mess should be to Steve Clarke.  That's the only Scot we should be considering.  If he's not interested (likely!) then we have a worldwide search for the next manager.  No limits, get as many applications as possible and pick the best man for the job.

totally agree

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, paddymcp said:

Wonder what the “deeply troubling episode” was? 

The guy just seems off to me the last few years. Definelty some health problems of some sort IMO. Should never have been given a  job like that.

The whole thing is deeply uncomfortable.

The suggestion that Alex McLeish carried health issues into the Scotland job that were subsequently exacerbated by the stress of the role would give rise to very serious questions indeed about the SFA's recruitment process.

Is this a case of mere incompetence or will we start to hear cries of negligence?

Also - I don't particularly want to know what the 'deeply troubling episode' was and should hope that the details never emerge.

I say let’s get back to the 50’s/60’s style of management , pick the Scotland team by committee .
On my committee I’d have Willie Miller , JK Rowling , Nacho Novo , Jim McLean , Jimmy Calderwood and Princess Anne 
Who would you have on your committee ? 

Good sensible committee. I can see Jim McLean beating them into submission.

Is this actually confirmed?  I heard it was purely rumours that they were planning to do it, and nothing carried on BBC yet.

6 minutes ago, George Parr said:

The whole thing is deeply uncomfortable.

The suggestion that Alex McLeish carried health issues into the Scotland job that were subsequently exacerbated by the stress of the role would give rise to very serious questions indeed about the SFA's recruitment process.

Is this a case of mere incompetence or will we start to hear cries of negligence?

This, especially the bolded.  Any chat about his health has always seemed a bit uncomfortable, but now that it seems a bit more real it's even worse.  I've always seen it as a bit of armchair stuff, people trying to show how learned they are when they don't really know the whole facts.  In that sense, it would make sense him being hired, as you'd like to think that surely they wouldn't willingly put someone in there who was in a bit of trouble.  But now...imagine questions will be asked.

I've felt sorry for him pretty much through his entire reign, as he doesn't seem to be offered much respect anywhere.  If this all turns out to be true, then that just grows.  Get out, man, there's more to life than getting abused at Hampden every few months.

Is this actually confirmed?  I heard it was purely rumours that they were planning to do it, and nothing carried on BBC yet.
This, especially the bolded.  Any chat about his health has always seemed a bit uncomfortable, but now that it seems a bit more real it's even worse.  I've always seen it as a bit of armchair stuff, people trying to show how learned they are when they don't really know the whole facts.  In that sense, it would make sense him being hired, as you'd like to think that surely they wouldn't willingly put someone in there who was in a bit of trouble.  But now...imagine questions will be asked.
I've felt sorry for him pretty much through his entire reign, as he doesn't seem to be offered much respect anywhere.  If this all turns out to be true, then that just grows.  Get out, man, there's more to life than getting abused at Hampden every few months.

From that Record article:

Maxwell has yet to call an emergency board meeting but it’s understood the rest of the directors are aware of his concerns over McLeish. It is expected they will be asked to officially rubber-stamp the decision to part company with the manager as early as next week.

Who knows how accurate it is. We’ll find out shortly.

The media already talking up Moyes for the job.

That would be a dreadful appointment IMHO.

They need someone not just to manage the team but to make root and branch reform.

Personally I'd want to cast our net wide and not just go with the usual suspects on the short list.

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What a load of bollocks. It doesn't matter what clubs the SFA are associated with, as long as they're competent

Which he clearly isn't, and there's every chance this is because he hasn't been exposed to absolutely anything like this while he was in charge of Cove Rangers.

He's not a young man.  Has he had any experience of managing or presiding over an association or business the size of the SFA?  The longer we pick names out of a hat to run our game, the longer we'll continue to be International minnows.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They need someone not just to manage the team but to make root and branch reform.

Personally I'd want to cast our net wide and not just go with the usual suspects on the short list.

Filter on "Has Managed at International Level" and "Has Achieved Qualification with an International Side" and hide the Nationality column.

If we can get the above, I'm not convinced the manager needs to be one driving reform.  We're always just one bad result away from getting the toaster out and heading to the bathroom, but I expect once all the fixtures are done in the Autumn it won't look so doom and gloom.  We won't qualify, but we'll be a lot closer than it seems now.  I think if we just get someone in who can get us to a tournament, by hook or by crook, while others start to look at what we can change, things will be a lot better.  The manager should be there to pick the best team he can, and arrange them to win a game.  Expecting a grand long-term strategy with what he'll have to work with will probably lead to us getting someone who can't manage the first part in.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No, we need someone to manage the first team, first and foremost.  That should be the no.1 priority of the new manager.

We need to create an identity.  Now, I have no issues with a first team manager being part of that discussion but it needs to be bigger than a single manager deciding what they want for the future.  What happens if they piss off or are sacked after 18 months?  Do we rip it up and start again?

It should be what happens at clubs.  We put a proper structure in place, and if and when a manager leaves, you then pick another who'll fit into the same ways of working. 

Ach, as long as his contract is paid up and he can clear his EBT debts with Hector, that’s all that really matters..........who gives a f*ck who the next manager is ?
I’d like to see yon DUP wummin at the helm.....she has 1st hand experience of dealing with a ragtag bunch of no-hopers and getting them to punch above their weight..........[emoji2]

As crap a job as he has done, it is unfortunate that it has had this effect on him, you don’t want that for any manager. Had he been healthy after that game, the sfa probably would have kept him.

He clearly wanted to come back and possibly be the one who took us to the euros, but he wasn’t up to it.

There’s a rumour (could be shite) that during his teamtalk pre-San Marino he totally lost his words/forgot what he was saying and had to leave the room to recompose himself.

A real shame if this is the state of his health. I’m sure a lot of people have got on over their head in work through burying their head in the sand healthwise.

Wrong appointment all round, let’s move on and hope his health issues aren’t to acute.

Just now, Desp said:

Which he clearly isn't, and there's every chance this is because he hasn't been exposed to absolutely anything like this while he was in charge of Cove Rangers.

He's not a young man.  Has he had any experience of managing or presiding over an association or business the size of the SFA?  The longer we pick names out of a hat to run our game, the longer we'll continue to be International minnows.

Of course he isn't. No one ever said he was.

Why couldn't he have been exposed to this sort of scenario at Cove Rangers? The scenario being a shit manager with possible health issues. That can potentially happen at any club.

But being in charge of running, or being part of running, a larger club does not mean someone is more competent.

Just look at the long list of crap that has run the big clubs in Scotland.

The best candidate should be the best candidate and what club they are part of shouldn't come in to it.

The head of the German FA used to be in charge of Rotenburg SV.

The head of the French FA used to be in charge of Guingamp.

The head of the Belgian FA used to run the Belgian 4th tier.

The head of the Spanish FA played for Hamilton and has never ran a club.

The head of the Swedish FA used to be a referee and ran Bohuslans Fotbollforbund.

The head of the Croatian FA is Davor Suker who never ran a club.

The head of the Swiss FA ran FC Breitenrain Bern.

The head of the Polish FA has never ran a club.

The head of the Italian FA has never ran a club.

It seems that those who have ran big clubs are in the minority when it comes to becoming the head of their FA (notably Holland and Portugal, and the English FA head was on the board at Leicester).

3 minutes ago, Tommi_Pavlova said:

There’s a rumour (could be shite) that during his teamtalk pre-San Marino he totally lost his words/forgot what he was saying and had to leave the room to recompose himself.

A real shame if this is the state of his health. I’m sure a lot of people have got on over their head in work through burying their head in the sand healthwise.

Wrong appointment all round, let’s move on and hope his health issues aren’t to acute.

It's an utter disgrace if it turns out that McLeish has health issues, especially if the SFA knew about.

It's a massive dereliction of duty and grossly incompetent to have appointed him, and also massively unfair on McLeish. They've put the guy in a situation he shouldn't be in, and all of that is squarely on them.

Absolute wankers.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

That's the thing.  A huge number of fans spotted this almost upon his appointment.  The fact that those in charge, supposed friends of his, put him into a job like this when he's clearly not right, is absolutely disgraceful. 

Alex McLeish wasn't fit for this job, physically or mentally.  That's been abundantly clear for a long time.  However, the problem does not start and end with McLeish.  Those in charge need cleared out as well.  I mean, we've given the keys to our National Association to a guy who used to run Cove Rangers FFS!  Fucking Amateur hour. 

The first call from whoever is in charge of this mess should be to Steve Clarke.  That's the only Scot we should be considering.  If he's not interested (likely!) then we have a worldwide search for the next manager.  No limits, get as many applications as possible and pick the best man for the job.

What about Alex Neil at Preston North End?

In all honesty, I don't really give too much of a f**k about our international team, they're little better than an embarrassment most of the time.

I hope the big man is ok and gets the proper help for whatever condition he's troubled with.

Archived