Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

As others note, this decision should have been executed fully 3 weeks ago.  Can only hope that time was spent feverishly working on identifying a replacement but it wouldn't be surprising if we roll into early summer with no appointment. Our failure to qualify for Euro 2020 whilst Hampden hosts various matches will be the final insult.

Should be is miles away from definitely will
So we have the players to maybe qualify? Going back to my original post then. We don't have the players really. The best we can hope for is a glorious failure which is still failure. Like I said it doesn't matter who the manager is until we sort out the bigger picture of investing in our sport and providing the facilities and coaches required to get good youth players. It's like sacking the driver of a rusty old banger in formula one.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
29 minutes ago, swing_kinker said:

So we have the players to maybe qualify? Going back to my original post then. We don't have the players really. The best we can hope for is a glorious failure which is still failure. Like I said it doesn't matter who the manager is until we sort out the bigger picture of investing in our sport and providing the facilities and coaches required to get good youth players. It's like sacking the driver of a rusty old banger in formula one.

Did some of the absolute diddies that qualified for Euro 2016 "have the players" in the same way we don't?

We do have a squad that is good enough to get qualification.  We probably won't qualify anyway.  The two aren't really directly comparable.  Italy didn't get to the last World Cup, and the Netherlands haven't qualified for the last two - did they not have the players either?

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
31 minutes ago, swing_kinker said:

You're just repeating yourself without saying anything of note. You're a clear troll.

Several posters said we should be qualifying. You cant shoot someone down for saying we don't then don't have the confidence to back the players that you are using as a counter claim.
Either we have the players or we don't.
We don't imo. It's not hysterical to say this.
The players showing up to at least match the sum of their parts doesnt have to result in qualification.

It does have to result in not fucking humiliating themselves against Kazakhstan. Its not fuckjng difficult m9.

The requirements to qualify move campaign by campaign, but if you think our recent performances reflect accurately the quality of player at our disposal then you should stop postong about football.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'll donate £10 to charity if D.A.F.C never mentions Scotland on here again.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Several posters said we should be qualifying. You cant shoot someone down for saying we don't then don't have the confidence to back the players that you are using as a counter claim.  Either we have the players or we don't.  We don't imo. It's not hysterical to say this.

giphy.gif

How long until the media spin it that their big pal McLeish was 'hounded out' by the fans?

Maybe Chick Young can write some bullshit article full of made up anecdotes that feature McLeish walking away from Hampden and giving a tramp a fiver.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Cathro had as many people backing him as a breath of fresh air etc, but that very quickly changed when it became apparent he was hopelessly out of his depth.

He had far more people giving it the snide "laptop" patter than any other managerial appt I can ever think of.

Wasn't that because he couldn't apply.what he learnt through scientific analysis in a practical setting? He's personally unimpressive, rightly or wrongly football still needs a manager of coach to impose himself before his methods will be bought in to. Bathroom couldn't do that.

Wasn't that because he couldn't apply.what he learnt through scientific analysis in a practical setting? He's personally unimpressive, rightly or wrongly football still needs a manager of coach to impose himself before his methods will be bought in to. Bathroom couldn't do that.
For me he was ridiculed because he wasnt "old school" enough. I coukd be wrong but thats the way I see it and the way I see the problems we face at National level and probably at grass roots level too.

Genuine suggestion here, and one that I know will be ridiculed, but I couldn't help but put it out there.
Mark Warburton.
Did a decent job in the Championship, plays decent football, seems to be the sort of analytical type that we need after the old school jobbers McLeish and Strachan - and said in his Si Ferry interview that he'd be interested in international management. He's not a massive racist either - which is another positive.
Tell me he isn't a better option than everyone on that Coral list (barring Moyes, who would be ok imho).
*takes cover*
Warburton was binned by Ranjurrz for not having a plan b when the first plan didn't work and for whoring himself to 'bigger' jobs a la big eck first time round. No thanks.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

For me he was ridiculed because he wasnt "old school" enough. I coukd be wrong but thats the way I see it and the way I see the problems we face at National level and probably at grass roots level too.

There will be an element of truth in that, but it was held back, briefly, just in case he succeeded. Once it was apparent he wouldn't be the sneering that had been suppressed was given free rein.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The media did indeed judge him before he'd done anything.

However, he could be a wonderful football visionary but if he can't impose it on people as the Sergeant says, you'll never be a successful manager in your own right. Nothing particularly wrong with that either, he could end up being the most valuable person on any coaching staff f he is as talented as he appears to be.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

To be fair, if you bring in anyone young, whether it's Cathro or not, you'll get old hands talking about him in those terms.  

You also got the anti-hipsters that saw people creaming themselves over the guy as a bit premature, so taking the opposing stance.

But then you got the people realising he just wasn't very good at the job.  He had aspects that made him a promising prospect, but you've got to marry that to the traditional stuff.  I'm not sure he managed that.

To be fair, if you bring in anyone young, whether it's Cathro or not, you'll get old hands talking about him in those terms.  
You also got the anti-hipsters that saw people creaming themselves over the guy as a bit premature, so taking the opposing stance.
But then you got the people realising he just wasn't very good at the job.  He had aspects that made him a promising prospect, but you've got to marry that to the traditional stuff.  I'm not sure he managed that.
Of course, you are right there but to my mind and I think this is reflected in the actions of the SFA, the football industry in this country is not reasy to accept that football is moving at a fair old pace at this moment. The BBC article on Bielsa after the spying thing to me was a good illustration of what managers at the top level are doing week by week and I highly doubt anything like this is on the radar of the SFA

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjl3quG7NnhAhWp1eAKHT1fDVkQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F46961712&psig=AOvVaw3jTBHz9Qr7OL3Ly0i_Ffwm&ust=1555683839474952

28 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:
Genuine suggestion here, and one that I know will be ridiculed, but I couldn't help but put it out there.
Mark Warburton.
Did a decent job in the Championship, plays decent football, seems to be the sort of analytical type that we need after the old school jobbers McLeish and Strachan - and said in his Si Ferry interview that he'd be interested in international management. He's not a massive racist either - which is another positive.
Tell me he isn't a better option than everyone on that Coral list (barring Moyes, who would be ok imho).
*takes cover*

Warburton was binned by Ranjurrz for not having a plan b when the first plan didn't work and for whoring himself to 'bigger' jobs a la big eck first time round. No thanks.

Yep, when his 'great, free flowing football' which worked against the likes of Raith Rovers and Dumbarton didn't work against Aberdeen and Hearts,  he was soon emptied.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Of course, you are right there but to my mind and I think this is reflected in the actions of the SFA, the football industry in this country is not reasy to accept that football is moving at a fair old pace at this moment. The BBC article on Bielsa after the spying thing to me was a good illustration of what managers at the top level are doing week by week and I highly doubt anything like this is on the radar of the SFA

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjl3quG7NnhAhWp1eAKHT1fDVkQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F46961712&psig=AOvVaw3jTBHz9Qr7OL3Ly0i_Ffwm&ust=1555683839474952

It's definitely a problem in the older generation of "guid football men" that they seem not just oblivious to the future, but actively fearful and mocking of it.  Some are immune - Big Sam and his jug of gravy would probably be the first to be lumped into a group like that, but he is often reported as quite progressive in terms of techniques.  

However, it gets exacerbated so much that you do get people desperate to take the opposite stance.  If a dinosaur like Johnny Manager thinks this guy's rubbish, then obviously he must be good, because Johnny's been wrong before.  People were effusive about Cathro before he'd done much at all, desperate to be proved right that all these new fangled techniques would lead to him being a pure brilliant football manager.  As it was, as someone else said, he was hopelessly out of his depth, and emptied in fairly embarrassing fashion.

There's obviously a middle-ground there.  I found the hipster stance on him amusing, but I wasn't going to jump to the "lol he reads books the fucking geek" side of the fence with the old guard.  Cathro will have many great qualities that will make him invaluable in certain roles, but I don't think we should be just throwing out new age "new tactics/tear it up and start again/new ideas" stuff without actually checking if they're actually any good.