Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

39 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Journos frantically writing McLeish Sacked pieces.

Keith Jackson frantically writing a GIRUY...telt yus all piece.

I like Jackson-bashing as much as the next guy, but if he had just qualified his exclusive with "the SFA could sack McLeish immediately, or wait until their next scheduled board meeting" he would have been bang on.

I'm a bit worried that he was punting Scot Gemmill in a recent column.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/28/2019 at 09:35, forameus said:

Filter on "Has Managed at International Level" and "Has Achieved Qualification with an International Side" and hide the Nationality column.

If we can get the above, I'm not convinced the manager needs to be one driving reform.  We're always just one bad result away from getting the toaster out and heading to the bathroom, but I expect once all the fixtures are done in the Autumn it won't look so doom and gloom.  We won't qualify, but we'll be a lot closer than it seems now.  I think if we just get someone in who can get us to a tournament, by hook or by crook, while others start to look at what we can change, things will be a lot better.  The manager should be there to pick the best team he can, and arrange them to win a game.  Expecting a grand long-term strategy with what he'll have to work with will probably lead to us getting someone who can't manage the first part in.

It was more in reply to a manager needing to be responsible for everything, but the bolded part still holds true, and will always hold true, even as the SFA decides to do the complete opposite.

The question isn’t ‘do we have good players?’ Anyway.

It’s is the manager selecting the best players, is he getting anywhere near the best out of the available players, are those players playing as a coherent unit, do those players feel motivated to play for the manager, does the manager have the tactical ability to turn marginal games in our favour?

The answer to most, if not all those questions is no.

3 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Maloney is number two with Belgium to might be worth a interview 

Henry and Jones haven't exactly flourished after moving on from that role.

Allardyce :lol:

Anyway, not enough folk have been punted today. Gemmill, Houston, McKay and Maxwell should have been dragged out of Hampden and thrown down the steps.

2 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

The names on that fucking list...deary me. Actually every one of them fills me with dread, for one reason or another

Indeed.  And yet every single one of them - with the exception of Alky MacKKKay - would be an improvement on McLeish.

Moyes or Clarke would be okay with me.  I fully expect it to be Moyes or Gemmill.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

The question isn’t ‘do we have good players?’ Anyway.

It’s is the manager selecting the best players, is he getting anywhere near the best out of the available players, are those players playing as a coherent unit, do those players feel motivated to play for the manager, does the manager have the tactical ability to turn marginal games in our favour?

The answer to most, if not all those questions is no.

Was the manager selecting the best players?  Largely yes.  Who wasn't getting a call-up that hadn't already said he wasn't available?

Was he getting anywhere near the best out of the available players?  Admittedly, probably not, but he was ably helped by the players all being utter shitebags.

Were those players playing as a coherent unit?  Absolutely fucking not.

Did those players feel motivated to play for the manager?  Probably not, but this kind of pish is the sort of stuff that is pathetic about today's game.  "Oh, I don't like the manager, I'm not going to try".  f**k off with that.  I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just a sad state of affairs.

Did the manager have the tactical ability to turn marginal games in our favour?  Well, if he did, we didn't see it.

We need a manager who is moving with the times. Top level football today is insanely analytical, the data gathered is massive, its being treated like a science now. Thats what many of the top players are used to.

Except, in this country, we have seen Ian Cathro be slaughtered by the media for taking that approach. We need a change of mindset.

Cathro had as many people backing him as a breath of fresh air etc, but that very quickly changed when it became apparent he was hopelessly out of his depth.

I'm kinda keen on a Manager who would only recruit players who play in the Scottish leagues. Keep the players local and keen. Has John Yogi Hughes offered his services for free yet? I'd give him the job for a year to at least recompense on the free cash for nothing given to McLeish . 

Cathro had as many people backing him as a breath of fresh air etc, but that very quickly changed when it became apparent he was hopelessly out of his depth.
He had far more people giving it the snide "laptop" patter than any other managerial appt I can ever think of.

3 minutes ago, Heartsupwards said:

I'm kinda keen on a Manager who would only recruit players who play in the Scottish leagues. Keep the players local and keen. Has John Yogi Hughes offered his services for free yet? I'd give him the job for a year to at least recompense on the free cash for nothing given to McLeish . 

I dunno, can we be sure that these are guid honest laddies?

Just now, harry94 said:
7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Allardyce emoji38.png

Anyway, not enough folk have been punted today. Gemmill, Houston, McKay and Maxwell should have been dragged out of Hampden and thrown down the steps.

What has Gemmil done wrong?

Been shite.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Kris Boyd got slaughtered for casting doubt about Cathro, particularly after Killie got humped by Cathro's Hearts at Tynecastle.

5 minutes ago, Heartsupwards said:

Hiya Yogi!  Hiya Pal!  

It will be Moyes or McLaren, would be happy with either, expect it to be Moyes.  I tell you one thing under Moyes there's no danger we'd have conceded three in Kazakhstan.  Would prefer McLaren personally, much better suited.

Genuine suggestion here, and one that I know will be ridiculed, but I couldn't help but put it out there.

Mark Warburton.

Did a decent job in the Championship, plays decent football, seems to be the sort of analytical type that we need after the old school jobbers McLeish and Strachan - and said in his Si Ferry interview that he'd be interested in international management. He's not a massive racist either - which is another positive.

Tell me he isn't a better option than everyone on that Coral list (barring Moyes, who would be ok imho).

*takes cover*

Archived