Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

6 hours ago, swing_kinker said:

Agreed. It's all a little unsettling Hwang so many seemingly reasonable people are OK with this culture of personal abuse for someone who is just struggling in his job. I want him out and will.talk about his abilities but all this alkie talk and lack for any basic human empathy is a little sad. 

I'm really not seeing all this personal abuse that some posters are witness to.

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Devils advocate here... If you think it is/was always going to be impossible to get results off Russia, how exactly were we ever going to qualify out of this group anyway?

Losing to Kazakhstan makes at least 4 points off Russia a must now. Mayne even need 6 which is a huge ask no doubt, but surely if we all simply took the results agaisnt the smaller nations to the bank, we still would have needed 4 off Russia?

This is assuming Belgium skelp everyone.

It's head to head record, so two draws or a win and a defeat against Russia might have been enough on aggregate (if we matched them in all other games). Now we need 4 points from them and to match them in all other games. 

Is the point not that having seen our respective results in Kazakhstan, taking a decent return from Russia looks far less feasible than it did before the group got underway?
Well aye, maybe but anyone who has an idea what they are talking about would have appreciated the need for, and difficulty of getting a result agaisnt Russia.

I personally think we can return to roughly the same chances we did have previously, whatever the were, by emptying McLeish now.

The idea that its totally over potentially leaves us not in position to take advantage should Russia slip up. Lets face it they arent world beaters. I dont like that sort of attitude. We are one freak result either for us or agaisnt them away from being exactly where we should be. Thats not in any way praise of our disgusting start, thats just emphasising the need for the SFA to act on the basis that the campaign is not over.

That notion gives them an excuse for another pishy, cheap jobs for the boys appointment.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well aye, maybe but anyone who has an idea what they are talking about would have appreciated the need for, and difficulty of getting a result agaisnt Russia.

I personally think we can return to roughly the same chances we did have previously, whatever the were, by emptying McLeish now.

The idea that its totally over potentially leaves us not in position to take advantage should Russia slip up. Lets face it they arent world beaters. I dont like that sort of attitude. We are one freak result either for us or agaisnt them away from being exactly where we should be. Thats not in any way praise of our disgusting start, thats just emphasising the need for the SFA to act on the basis that the campaign is not over.

That notion gives them an excuse for another pishy, cheap jobs for the boys appointment.

Yes, fair enough.  I agree that any chance of overtaking Russia would be enhanced by a positive managerial change.

I actually think that the greater need for such a change concerns our upcoming play-offs though.  Willie Miller seemed to think that McLeish deserves the chance to negotiate those, whereas I think it would be spectacularly irresponsible to entrust such a great opportunity to someone so deficient.

Yes, fair enough.  I agree that any chance of overtaking Russia would be enhanced by a positive managerial change.
I actually think that the greater need for such a change concerns our upcoming play-offs though.  Willie Miller seemed to think that McLeish deserves the chance to negotiate those, whereas I think it would be spectacularly irresponsible to entrust such a great opportunity to someone so deficient.
Yeah I agree with that too. I just think that the "its over after two games" is dangerous in that it facilitates more of the same from the wankers in charge and is a green light for several more months of abject failure and worse IMO, precedent setting players and their clubs picking and choosing Scotland duty.

The manager issue should be first, promptly followed by that issue getting addressed robustly IMO

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I agree with that too. I just think that the "its over after two games" is dangerous in that it facilitates more of the same from the wankers in charge and is a green light for several more months of abject failure and worse IMO, precedent setting players and their clubs picking and choosing Scotland duty.

The manager issue should be first, promptly followed by that issue getting addressed robustly IMO

The first one is more straightforward and if done well, can potentially impact positively on the second one.

12 hours ago, forameus said:

It's probably the history where in every campaign, we get a result no-one probably saw coming prior to the game.  A point against England (which should have been more, our fault), a point against Poland (which should have been more, our fault), beating Croatia twice.  

It's almost like no matter how shite our campaign starts (and it always starts fucking dreadfully), a single game is never a foregone conclusion.  And, I know this might be shocking, but it's almost like saying we might get a decent result in a one-off game doesn't really say much about the entire campaign.

But these results didn't help us qualify, the whole point of the exercise. Our failures are frequently down to us against the diddies masked by occasional decent results against the others. That's just what's happened so it's little wonder folk are experiencing qualification deja vu. 

This campaign certainly isn't over after 2 games. It was over after 10 minutes.

I thought he got spat on at a game, when for some reason he thought going to stand in beside the supporters would be a good idea!!!

Eta: Moldova away wasn't it???

11 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

All true but Berti got chased out by the media.   He's a sound bloke and would be welcomed back to Hampden.   Levein and McLeish are rather obviously complete bellends.    

IIRC the Daily Record even bought him a plane ticket.

IIRC the Daily Record even bought him a plane ticket.
Shows you the small mindedness of the Scottish Football fraternity.

Treat Johnny Foreigner like that.... Can you imagine them doing something like that to a Scottish Manager. No chance.

Shows you the small mindedness of the Scottish Football fraternity.

Treat Johnny Foreigner like that.... Can you imagine them doing something like that to a Scottish Manager. No chance.
Where would they buy a Scottish manager a plane ticket to?

Where would they buy a Scottish manager a plane ticket to?
I was more meaning a crass stunt designed to humiliate the person in question...

Maybe a train ticket to somewhere in Fife?

Or book them a 3 nighter at Craig Tara during an international weekend?

12 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

All true but Berti got chased out by the media.   He's a sound bloke and would be welcomed back to Hampden.   Levein and McLeish are rather obviously complete bellends.    

He did indeed.  I liked Berti "Christian, Christian" McVogts as a person, although his management was questionable at best. 

Berti didn't have the benefit of his pals "writing" columns in the Daily Record to support him either.  The old boys network in the tabloid press (and indeed the broadcast media) drives decision making in the game to a horrific extent. 

The same could also be said for Caixinha at Rangers too.

That being said, Keith Jackson's article seems to be driving the narrative regarding McLeish being sacked.

53 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I was more meaning a crass stunt designed to humiliate the person in question...

Maybe a train ticket to somewhere in Fife?

Or book them a 3 nighter at Craig Tara during an international weekend?

They treated Burley in a disgusting manner from the very start 

Alec McLeish might be "a very nice bloke" ,but he is no longer a half decent football manager .

For 10 grand a week he has managed to make some pretty good players look like they wouldn't get a game in the local pub league team .

If they keep him on to the summer we can write  off the playoffs , it has been a downward spiral since his arrival .

Alec McLeish might be "a very nice bloke" ,but he is no longer a half decent football manager .
For 10 grand a week he has managed to make some pretty good players look like they wouldn't get a game in the local pub league team .
If they keep him on to the summer we can write  off the playoffs , it has been a downward spiral since his arrival .
10k a week!!! Spends most of his week in a London boozer.

4 hours ago, Big Ally said:

Don't think anyone is arguing against that.  You can want him out but also be a decent person and realise he's a human being.