Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well there we go, 12 years since we achieved such a feat, but we're somehow resting our hopes on repeating it.

We don't tend to face World Cup quarter-finalists on a particularly regular basis, so 12 years isn't really a particularly long period of time. You added the caveat of "within a year", which means you are basically limiting us to only European Championship qualifying groups (assuming friendlies aren't being considered in any way relevant).

The France and Ukraine victories were in the Euro 2008 qualifiers - so your "12 years" only consists of the Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 campaigns. In the Euro 2012 group the only quarter-finalists we played were Spain, and in the Euro 2016 group the only quarter-finalists we played were Germany. Both of those sides weren't just any "World Cup quarter-finalists", they were World Cup holders. So basically your argument boils down to "we haven't been able to beat the reigning world champions in either of our last two European Championship qualifying groups". A disgusting failure, I'm sure we'll all agree.

I'm also amused at the amount of people who have wilfully chosen not to actually read what I have said and have somehow interpreted "it's not time to consider the campaign a write-off" as "we will definitely qualify".

Edited by craigkillie

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm also amused at the amount of people who have wilfully chosen not to actually read what I have said and have somehow interpreted "it's not time to consider the campaign a write-off" as "we will definitely qualify".

But Craig, you're not allowed to take a match involving Scotland that hasn't happened yet, and give your opinion on how it'll go without trying to one-up everyone else on how shit we're going to be.  And here's you, being somewhat realistic, bordering on positive.  As you say, a "disgusting failure" on your part there.

I am completely at a loss to understand why people are so desperate to believe we're already beaten, when recent history suggests that it's by no means certain what will happen.  Even more so when no-ones said we're going to get anything off Russia.  There's certainly a chance though, and I don't see what's so wrong with believing in that, even when it's admittedly slim.  

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I am completely at a loss to understand why people are so desperate to believe we're already beaten, when recent history suggests that it's by no means certain what will happen.  Even more so when no-ones said we're going to get anything off Russia.  There's certainly a chance though, and I don't see what's so wrong with believing in that, even when it's admittedly slim.  

You are a nice person. Actually, you have inspired me more with that one paragraph, probably written in your phone, than every McLeish soundbite combined. 

I am completely at a loss to understand why people are so desperate to believe we're already beaten, when recent history suggests that it's by no means certain what will happen. 

Did you watch the Israel and Kazakhstan away games? at Hampden we were a cracking Alan McGregor save away from chucking away a two goal lead against Israel and finishing second/third, Albania at home also gave us a fright. Albania away was a rare bright spot. We have hardly sparkled under McLeish. History suggests this will continue, and we'll be lucky to finish fourth in the group and be praying that the likes of Serbia qualify directly so we can avoid them in the play-offs.  Belgium and Russia away could be very painful indeed.

Nothing is certain, but on the balance of probabilities we'll finish well outside the top two and 50/50 to qualify via the play-offs. Time to make a change is now IF we can get the right man in charge,

I am completely at a loss to understand why people are so desperate to believe we're already beaten, when recent history suggests that it's by no means certain what will happen. 

Exactly which recent history are you looking at? My recent history, and longer, shows Scotland failing to qualify for a tournament since 1998 with part of the reason being the failure to beat so-called smaller nations they were meant to win in. We've started this campaign in a manner that suggests we are going to match our recent history yet again, perhaps worse given the level of performance. I'm completely at a loss to understand why anybody would think it would be different this time.

12 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Did you watch the Israel and Kazakhstan away games? at Hampden we were a cracking Alan McGregor save away from chucking away a two goal lead against Israel and finishing second/third, Albania at home also gave us a fright. Albania away was a rare bright spot. We have hardly sparkled under McLeish. History suggests this will continue, and we'll be lucky to finish fourth in the group and be praying that the likes of Serbia qualify directly so we can avoid them in the play-offs.  Belgium and Russia away could be very painful indeed.

Nothing is certain, but on the balance of probabilities we'll finish well outside the top two and 50/50 to qualify via the play-offs. Time to make a change is now IF we can get the right man in charge,

All of the above argument about whether the campaign was a "write-off" was contingent on a new manager being in place.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

All of the above argument about whether the campaign was a "write-off" was contingent on a new manager being in place.

I was at the Albania game we bossed it and deserved our win

I never felt under threat or nervous at any point or felt as if we were hanging on or about to lose a goal

Our midfield turned up though the low point about Borat was how they never how nobody wanted to win it track there runner and genuinly switched off through out it

Unacceptable cos I know our defence is not outstanding and will lose goals anyway

But if guys in front of them get outplayed they got no chance

Campaign isn't a right off until the Russia games (unless we lose to Cyprus)

Other than the usual names, Clarke (sorry @craigkillie) and Neil - I would suggest a bold appointment in Shaun Maloney - I suppose he's never managed before but he's Assistant to Roberto Martinez at Belgium. So he knows the current crop of Scotland players and he has some experience of the international scene with a team that made the World Cup semi-final.

Would probably need an experienced assistant to help him, but could be worth a shot.

1 minute ago, Marr1 said:

Other than the usual names, Clarke (sorry @craigkillie) and Neil - I would suggest a bold appointment in Shaun Maloney - I suppose he's never managed before but he's Assistant to Roberto Martinez at Belgium. So he knows the current crop of Scotland players and he has some experience of the international scene with a team that made the World Cup semi-final.

Would probably need an experienced assistant to help him, but could be worth a shot.

Like a outside of the box shout well done chap

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We're as well treating it as preparation for the play-offs, because we're not finishing top two. The question the SFA need to answer is do they want McLeish taking us into the play-offs, or a new incumbent.

32 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

To be fair, we need that sort of thinking and considering these sort of candidates as serious options. Even Darren Fletcher.   Then again, we will probably end up with Scott Gemmill.

To be fair, we need that sort of thinking and considering these sort of candidates as serious options. Even Darren Fletcher.   Then again, we will probably end up with Scott Gemmill.

I’m done with the national team if it ends up Scotland Gemmill as manager. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in that.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I’m done with the national team if it ends up Scotland Gemmill as manager. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in that.

You're not. I've seen enough Scotland U21 games to conclude he offers absolutely nothing.

Just now, Billy Rubin said:

Selecting Ollie McBurnie then Callum Paterson as centre forwards suggests at mental illness.   

McBurnie got 16 goals in the championship this year 

And had no service what is he meant to do when he has to drop deep to get the ball

Cos the midfield struggled to get on top?

Granted 2 strikers should started both games

Just now, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

McBurnie got 16 goals in the championship this year 

And had no service what is he meant to do when he has to drop deep to get the ball

Cos the midfield struggled to get on top?

Granted 2 strikers should started both games

Sorry I just can't be arsed answering shite like this.    You're part of the problem.