Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

i think there's a bit of a bandwagon here.  the man's into his 60s, he's getting older.

i've no idea if he's well or not but I don't think he looks as bad as people are making out.

I don't think he's the right man for the job but some of the speculation is crass, in my opinion.  If you don't know him sit out of making comments about his health.

"He looks bad".... witchtrail groupthink stuff.  

if indeed there is a health issue.  I'm no fan of Ian Maxwell or those briefing the press and supposedly dragging this out for a week as the papers suggest.  Disgraceful.

18 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Reading the transcript of his interviews, he gets his point across fine.

I'm sure his point is very useful when he gives the players an "inspiring" team talk, the secretary in the corner types it up, makes copies then hands them round to the players for them to read the transcript and make sense of it.

Certainly some of the speculation around his health, and particularly any accusaions around alcohlism, go too far but, when so many people from the outside can agree that he doesn't speak coherently or fluently well any more then he is no longer suitable for the job, even before you look at the sides results.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

McLeish never should have been given a second chance at the job, he was offered it to dig the SFA out of a hole after the O’Neill debacle which cost Regan his job.   This episode should now also shine a brighter light on McCrae and Petrie, they can’t be sacked obviously and McCrae is standing down in June, but Petrie ascending the throne needs to be placed under more scrutiny and questions asked.

What also needs scrutinised is the make-up of the SFA Board, having the Secretary of the Scottish Amateur FA and the boy from Alloa Athletic as two of the “power brokers” in addition to McCrae from Cove Rangers, sums up the total amateurish approach.  Time served on committee’s is more important than ability to do the task.  Ian Maxwell also appears to be way out of his depth as a CEO, he is nothing more than a puppet for others (Petrie and Doncaster) and like McLeish, should never have been appointed.  His time in front of the camera’s appears to be kept to a minimum after his gaff over child protection.

Back to McLeish, I have no idea if he is ill or not but he is clearly a different man than we saw in 2007.  Craig Brown is also getting on in years but he is still the same Craig Brown, what we see here isn’t the same Alex McLeish, that is clearly evident. Does this effect his job? We don’t know for sure but based solely on the football witnessed in Israel and Kazakhstan, two awful performances and convincing defeats he cannot be allowed to continue.

Is for what happens next, I worry that the same people that appointed McLeish and Maxwell would be the same people left to find a replacement. It's all a f*cking mess.

If he has a health issue that means he is struggling to do his job he should stand down, but that has to be his decision.  If it is something he can manage he shouldn't feel under any obligation.  It really is one for a quiet word though, to  speculate is in poor taste and talk in the press about it is in very poor taste. 

I would personally applaud off the park anyone brave enough to step down from a job under such public scrutiny because of a mental health issue. 

That leaves us with performances which unfortunately aren't there at the minute. 

17 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't really understand why so many folk think it's in poor taste to comment on whatever health issues he might have. If someone close to you carried themself and spoke in the way he has done for a few years, you'd be asking them if they were OK and pressing them to see a doctor.

I can understand why. Health, especially mental health, is a really personal subject which the majority of us would very much like to keep private. Its something that can effect not just the person but also their families so when its being brought into the public sphere like it is now, it must be very hard for everyone.

I think the problem we have here though, is that it will be talked about because it is completely relevant to the subject at hand. There are questions being posed over his heath (whether justified or not) and any discussion about his management abilities and current management performances will inevitably bring these questions into the discussion because they are potentially a big part of what may be the problem.

Edited by Jambomo

48 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

McCrae and Petrie, they can’t be sacked obviously

I'm sure they could. It would need the will of the clubs to go for votes and egms and therein lies the problem, the one at the root of Scottish football's problems. The 40 non-bigot brothers are a bunch of short sighted, subservient lackeys so it won't happen. Nothing will ever change.

Edited by 7-2

I'm sure they could. It would need the will of the clubs to go for votes and egms and therein lies the problem, the one at the root of Scottish football's problems. The 40 non-bigot brothers are a bunch of short sighted, subservient lackeys so it won't happen. Nothing will ever change.
It would if everyone stops going

People claiming the way people talk on camera is indicative of their personality off camera is obviously unfair.  Would like to see half of them in front of a camera.  rabbits in headlights probably but they're not lunatics.

he's not even that bad anyway on-camera.  invited on as a  pundit plenty without issue.  he's changed since 20 years ago. Everyone does.  Media has changed hugely as well.

Ian Cathro was a joke in front of the media.  I seriously doubt he needs to see a doctor.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

McLeish never should have been given a second chance at the job, he was offered it to dig the SFA out of a hole after the O’Neill debacle which cost Regan his job.   This episode should now also shine a brighter light on McCrae and Petrie, they can’t be sacked obviously and McCrae is standing down in June, but Petrie ascending the throne needs to be placed under more scrutiny and questions asked.

What also needs scrutinised is the make-up of the SFA Board, having the Secretary of the Scottish Amateur FA and the boy from Alloa Athletic as two of the “power brokers” in addition to McCrae from Cove Rangers, sums up the total amateurish approach.  Time served on committee’s is more important than ability to do the task.  Ian Maxwell also appears to be way out of his depth as a CEO, he is nothing more than a puppet for others (Petrie and Doncaster) and like McLeish, should never have been appointed.  His time in front of the camera’s appears to be kept to a minimum after his gaff over child protection.

Back to McLeish, I have no idea if he is ill or not but he is clearly a different man than we saw in 2007.  Craig Brown is also getting on in years but he is still the same Craig Brown, what we see here isn’t the same Alex McLeish, that is clearly evident. Does this effect his job? We don’t know for sure but based solely on the football witnessed in Israel and Kazakhstan, two awful performances and convincing defeats he cannot be allowed to continue.

Is for what happens next, I worry that the same people that appointed McLeish and Maxwell would be the same people left to find a replacement. It's all a f*cking mess.

Where/what clubs folk have worked at before joining the SFA doesn't matter as long as they're competent.

Unfortunately none of the SFA board are, but it's not because they worked at clubs like Alloa and Cove Rangers.

4 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Experience is a fundamental part of competency 

Should wee Jack be appointed the CEO of Coca-Cola just because his weekend lemonade stand turns a profit?

The head of the German FA used to be in charge of Rotenburg SV.

The head of the French FA used to be in charge of Guingamp.

The head of the Belgian FA used to run the Belgian 4th tier.

The head of the Spanish FA played for Hamilton and has never ran a club.

The head of the Swedish FA used to be a referee and ran Bohuslans Fotbollforbund.

The head of the Croatian FA is Davor Suker who never ran a club.

The head of the Swiss FA ran FC Breitenrain Bern.

The head of the Polish FA has never ran a club.

The head of the Italian FA has never ran a club.

It seems that those who have ran big clubs are in the minority when it comes to becoming the head of their FA (notably Holland and Portugal, and the English FA head was on the board at Leicester).

The head of the Swedish FA used to be a referee and ran Bohuslans Fotbollforbund.

It seems that those who have ran big clubs are in the minority when it comes to becoming the head of their FA (notably Holland and Portugal, and the English FA head was on the board at Leicester).

On top of all that, arguably our best ever administrator was David Will, who went on to be FIFA Vice-President - his biggest job in Scottish club football before becoming SFA President was chairman of Brechin City.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Are these FA's run by committee?  A Head of an FA (and governing boards) can take different forms. eg would you consider McRae or Maxwell as "Head of SFA"?  the former is there due to time served as an SFA blazer and his day-to-day club involvement is at non-league level, the other is a paid position which can be filled by anyone deemed competent for the role.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Dunno about youse but my career plans are now:

1. Get on the board of Sauchie Juniors
2. ????
3. Plum FIFA job

That's always been my plan (sub out Sauchie for a different team though; originally it was going to be the team closest to where I lived when I was younger, Steelend Victoria, but they went out of business).

1. Get a job on the board of small team

2. Get on SFA board and appoint succession of shit managers

3. Plum FIFA job

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

France 2007, yet they were the finalists, and we took 6 points. Hth

Well there we go, 12 years since we achieved such a feat, but we're somehow resting our hopes on repeating it.

what is this madness about questioning leadership if a businessman was/is head of a "small club"?

If you're running a club it's more than likely because you have business acumen outside of the game.  If anything, i'm more inclined to support a president from a smaller club.  In my experience people with a half a brain are not old firm fans.!!

Chairmen of our biggest/top flight clubs haven't got the best record over the years.

David Murray, Michael Johnston, Wallace Mercer, Vladimir Romanov, John Boyle, Craig Whyte (hero), Stewart Milne, Eddie Thompson, Kevin Kelly, Pearse Flynn, Gavin Masterton, Charles Green, Calum Melville, the Marr brothers etc.

If you go down the leagues you'll find loads more examples of crappy chairmen, many of whom have clubs in to administration or close to it.

Guest JTS98
30 minutes ago, tirso said:

what is this madness about questioning leadership if a businessman was/is head of a "small club"?

If you're running a club it's more than likely because you have business acumen outside of the game.  If anything, i'm more inclined to support a president from a smaller club.  In my experience people with a half a brain are not old firm fans.!!

My experience of lower league (and some top flight) is that their boardrooms are stuffed full of Old firm fans.