Berwick Rangers v. Edinburgh City

Gold and black play host to white and black on Saturday as Edinburgh City play Berwick Rangers at Shielfield - this matchup being notable for the biggest benefactors of the League 2 Trapdoor coming to visit the side most likely to be the drop's next victim.

Berwick are fresh-faced in tenth, having not previously occupied the last place in the standings this season (in no small part due to a convincing victory over Stirling Albion on the first day of the season). Albion Rovers' win over Cowdenbeath on Tuesday has, unfortunately for the wee 'Gers, catapulted them into 9th, 1 point and 7 goals ahead of Johnny Harvey's men. Having taken 4 points from the last five matches, the gaffer and his lads are looking to exact revenge for the 1-0 loss at Ainsley Park earlier this month, which is just one in a series of 1 goal losses suffered by Berwick - the last time the team lost by more than one goal was on the 23rd of February v. Elgin. Dougie Brydon is close to full fitness again and Ouzy See remains out, whilst goalie Allison is still a question mark. Brennan will probably remain on goal, while Ryan Goodfellow will remain on the bench, unsure of why he was loaned in the first place. Notably, at 11;30 AM, there will be an open fan forum at Shielfield where one and all can put their questions to the chairmen; expect 73 variations of the question 'Tae fook we do now?'.

Edinburgh City, meanwhile, are sitting comfortably in second; Clyde's administrative hiccup ensures that the Bully Wee are now one point behind City, while Berwick's shock win over Peterhead leaves the Blue Toon just five points ahead in first. As a result, McDonaugh's men have it all to play for still with 6 matches remaining although they are assured of the play-offs at the very least. City have taken 7 from their last five, including the win over Berwick and last weekend's one all versus the league leaders. Talking about Peterhead, they will be facing Cowdenbeath, so a win at Shielfield is the only result City can be satisfied with; this will put their season's total versus Berwick at three wins and one draw.

Betting odds are probably in favour of City, regular ticket prices apply, hopefully there will be a decent bit of live-tweeting going on, and visitors are advised to bring earplugs due to how squeaky the local bums are at the moment. Considering both City's away and third shirts clash with Berwick's black and gold, expect the visitors to wear their white home strip.

berwick_rangers_2018-2019-1st.gifimage.png.620670c95e3656f50547f0f75528d1d4.pngedinburgh-city-2018-19-1st.gif

Edited by DutchBorderer

Anything from this will be a bonus, but we need to find another Peterhead performance, despite it evaporating completely at Stirling. 

At least as interesting for me is Albions performance, their 3 wins on the trot have come against middling teams with nothing to play for. Now they must play Clyde - a much better side still in with a shout of top spot. If Albion get anything from that, we are most definitely snookered. 

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Betting odds are probably in favour of City, 

No shit Sherlock !

the handsome Ouzy on for the last 10 minutes to force an unlikely last minute equaliser - hope springs eternal  

5 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Brennan

Forbes - Wilson - Cook - McIlduff

Barr - Blues - Ogilvie

Aloulou - Adamson - Healy

Please.

4-3-3 against Edinburgh City would see them run out easy winners.

Brown has been very good at right back, he deserves to keep his place and Forbes has been excellent at left back.

Murphy has been excellent since returning not sure how you can leave him out.

Healy has been well short of his best of late and rightly been left on the bench.

Same starting X1 and setup as Peterhead for me.

4-3-3 against Edinburgh City would see them run out easy winners.
Brown has been very good at right back, he deserves to keep his place and Forbes has been excellent at left back.
Murphy has been excellent since returning not sure how you can leave him out.
Healy has been well short of his best of late and rightly been left on the bench.
Same starting X1 and setup as Peterhead for me.
It's tough on Healy as he's got a big heart and works hard, I just felt that not having him up top, there was less temptation to hit long high balls; effectively giving possession away. I like both Brown and Murphy's influences too: good football players. I also think we play well on the break which happened v Peterhead and well likely be soaking up pressure today for long spells. Cook and Wilson are my preferred middle two, even if Dougie is fit.

If we can take care if the ball when we get it, and take chances when they come, you just never know.

Danny Galbraith continuing his cunning plan of only playing well when I’m not there. Fair play Danny, I don’t know what the end goal here is but I can’t help but be impressed by your commitment to it.

The rhetoric of the Chairman and the Manager is commendable but today's performance was jaw droppingly bad. The club is currently many many levels above it's first team. 

Loads of good things to say about this club, but don't expect anything complimentary about that awful display today 

2-0 win for Edinburgh, heard it was poor from our side.
To be honest, I saw the gulf between their and our buying power. Hamilton would lose to Celtic not because they underperformed, but because of superior assets. I saw a few personal battles, which match outcomes can revolve around, lost against more physically stronger, more experienced and, in some cases, just better players.

It being reported to you that it was poor from our side is perhaps a wee bit harsh, comparatively poorer on a number of levels, perhaps.

Gratitude to Clyde.

23 minutes ago, tescodave said:

So much for the blip that was Peterhead.

We are down.

Hands up who’ll pay £12 next season to see an even worse standard of football. That’s just concentrating on our team never mind the sides we’ll come up against.

1. We ain't down yet. Still looking like a head to head v Albion. 

2. I'll pay it for 1 season. At least we may win occasionally. 

1. We ain't down yet. Still looking like a head to head v Albion. 
2. I'll pay it for 1 season. At least we may win occasionally. 

I admire your optimism. It’s only a head to head if they don’t pick up anymore points, Sadly I think they will. Heartbreakingly I don’t think we will.