Trade Unions

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Good points depending on local rep and whether or not they're feathering their own nests so to speak.

Having been a local rep I know first hand that some of them are management puppets.

I also had a two year secondment with a large union as a full time officer.  I've never worked with so many despicable bullying c***s in all my life.

The service you get us pretty much down to the luck of the draw with whom your rep is.

Again, very good points. I was a rep myself for many years for a Banking Union and received excellent support from the hierarchy right up to the General Secretary.

In my experience if you're disliked but respected by Management then you're more than likely doing a good job and as you say it's an eye opener having to deal with so many disgusting individuals on a daily basis.

Unfortunately my current workplace only recognise Usdaw and quite frankly they're a complete bunch of amateurish cowboys...........

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Usdaw are bunch of  incompetent arseholes.  They make it impossible for you to stop paying the political levy. They also tell you how to vote in referendums.

All this talk of direction coming from the shop floor is pretty much fantasy in USDAW.

Fucking arsehole c***s that they are

Sound as bad as UNITE.

GMB seem to be the best option so far, but their facebook page seems to be a mixture of thumbs up and off the wall seethe. :lol:

I work for a nationwide company, who have small teams in each outlet and no widespread Union membership as far as I'm aware.

I'm not looking to be making placards or getting folk to down tools. I just want to tell the cant who is my boss that I cannot be made to work a shift with no 'proper' rest break.

This is the point where I want to be able to call on help without fear of retribution or general cuntishness in the workplace.

Thanks for all the responses so far btw. Will be back with Greenies later before giving Dindz the change in Reds. 

Just now, HenryHill said:

No. It is considered sensitive personal data and you don't have to tell them or any future employer.

Cheers for that Henry.

Getting the feeling that good or bad, the cost of under £15 a month to join a Union (GMB winning at the minute) seems worth it.

1 minute ago, LincolnHearts said:

Cheers for that Henry.

Getting the feeling that good or bad, the cost of under £15 a month to join a Union (GMB winning at the minute) seems worth it.

From my experience it would be a good move.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Good points depending on local rep and whether or not they're feathering their own nests so to speak.

Having been a local rep I know first hand that some of them are management puppets.

I also had a two year secondment with a large union as a full time officer.  I've never worked with so many despicable bullying c***s in all my life.

The service you get us pretty much down to the luck of the draw with whom your rep is.

Knew you'd provide some decent input Tynierose.

Appreciated mate.

Some people will always be passive in a collective, but the bottom line is you have no right whatsoever to complain about the lack of action or lack of achievements of a union unless you yourself are will to A, speak your mind in support of your stewards. B, vote for and carry out industrial action in support of any mandate supplied to the steward to enact on your behalf and C, replace said steward (with yourself if neccessary) should they be considered to not be representing the interests and views of their constituents.

For any union to work people newd to try and understand the workings, the strengths and weaknesses and be willing to stand up for and behind it. The employers dont want the unions to be there. They wont give anything away for free just because a union is present. Most management from middle and upwards dont believe employees should have a voice. If you make it easy for them to ignore then they will oblige you.

I took my workplace to the brink of strike then had the rug pulled from under me. It will haunt me forever that I never got it over the line and landed a blow on the c***s, and despite this, the HR and management at my company thanked me for my conduct during the dispute and didnt want me to step down. Taking on the responsibility of steward is a big deal, but it doesnt need to be a rabble rouser. Everywhere you go you will be faced with the laziest of all arguements that "Aw unions want tae dae is go on strike" etc. Thankfully these people are easily skelped, preferably in public.

30 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'd echo what has been said. The legal advice is worth it alone, rest very much depends on local stewards. I have used my union once or twice to sort out work disputes and have had both positive and negative experiences. Once when my boss was rewriting OT & on call payment rules on the fly and got slapped down with union help flagging it up, that was good. Another time with a notorious bully who had committed gross misconduct they were more interested in saving his job than backing me up, that wasn't so good.

Cheers Mixu.

Was really enjoying your post until the final sentence :lol:

My dad was a trade union rep in the 1960s and 70s, great days. When he heard of a relative of ours in the same industry who went on strike but saw one of his colleagues break it, he reminisced that in his day they’d have waited until the end of the guys next shift and kicked his head in for it.

9 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

In unison, really good reps, and, as said before, worth it for the legal back-up.

That would be the same Unison that I was a member of (and occasional steward) for 33 and a bit years before they called a politicised  strike against the SNP administration in Glasgow after not calling for any action whilst Labour blocked equal pay through the courts during the previous 10 or so years?

Labour puppets (and the high-up Unison official that I gave my resignation to symphasised with that view)

1 hour ago, LincolnHearts said:

Cheers for that Henry.

I pay double that for mine, it’s probably one of the strongest unions in the country and you get significant benefits from it . Don’t begrudge paying it as they also pay your legal fees if required and have had a few “wins” over the company over the past few years that’s resulted in back payments to all its members and above average wage rises.

Plus I get a little diary once a year and a magazine to throw out every month. 

PS Union reps only do it for the pissed up jolly’s they get to go on a few times a year for free. If they tell you any different, I wouldn’t trust them. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I pay double that for mine, it’s probably one of the strongest unions in the country and you get significant benefits from it . Don’t begrudge paying it as they also pay your legal fees if required and have had a few “wins” over the company over the past few years that’s resulted in back payments to all its members and above average wage rises.

Plus I get a little diary once a year and a magazine to throw out every month. 

PS Union reps only do it for the pissed up jolly’s they get to go on a few times a year for free. If they tell you any different, I wouldn’t trust them. 

Are you GMB Bobby?

Just now, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Nah, it’s more unique to the type of work I do. Forgive me if I don’t disclose this. 

No worries mate. Despite only being 2 pages old, it's Interesting to read some of the responses.

I wish my work had a bloody union. Taken over by another company and the changes have been horrendous. 4 large stocktakes a year as opposed to one. Nobody can book holidays during the week of a stocktake, and one of the new ones is in June, which is a very popular month for holidays....

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

That would be the same Unison that I was a member of (and occasional steward) for 33 and a bit years before they called a politicised  strike against the SNP administration in Glasgow after not calling for any action whilst Labour blocked equal pay through the courts during the previous 10 or so years?

Labour puppets (and the high-up Unison official that I gave my resignation to symphasised with that view)

Don't know anything about all that, the rep that I had was top class, getting management 'telt', she was staunch Labour, but I don't care what politics you're into.

Archived