Trade Unions

My union is a hit and miss. Some of the reps are really good others political mouthpieces who forget what their job is and why they’re elected officials. What the union does offer though is access to a whole host of services such as legal services, health and well being among others. A good rep would point you in the direction of these if they can’t sort out your issues. I do wonder why pay my fees sometimes and others thank the stars I joined. The work your so would be the best guide to which union to join I think. Certain industries will tend to lean towards one union or another unless of course the industry has its own like the RMT for example.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Usdaw is shite
People still think they can do something even when it comes to losing their jobs potentially.
Waste of time right now.

My employer has been going through massive restructuring last few years with several sites closing. I've been under consultation three times in three years

Usdaw basically say to the company, 'Aye nae bother. You batter on mate'

7 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

PS Union reps only do it for the pissed up jolly’s they get to go on a few times a year for free. If they tell you any different, I wouldn’t trust them. 

To be fair, I've had some really good shop stewards who would fight tooth and nail for you.  

15 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Usdaw are bunch of  incompetent arseholes.  They make it impossible for you to stop paying the political levy. They also tell you how to vote in referendums.

All this talk of direction coming from the shop floor is pretty much fantasy in USDAW.

Fucking arsehole c***s that they are

I believe that is illegal.

And if you  vote against your will in a referendum, well.

I'm with Unite in my workplace, and I was able to opt out of paying a political levy.  It's a good thing to be a part of, and it doesn't cost the earth.

A lad I worked with/represented was determined to leave the union because he disagreed with some political shit Unite were up to at the time.

I had to point out to him that the reason he was in Unite was to try and take more money home to his family (Union at my work have a proven track record of delivering this, even if it is modest in some cases) and their political stance is largely irrelevant.

That said, I do agree that Unite are too entrenched with Labour, given what Labour have become.

5 hours ago, thisal said:

I believe that is illegal.

And if you  vote against your will in a referendum, well.

It's easy enough to opt out of, impossible to get your money back though.

It really doesn't affect the way I vote. The brass neck of an organisation, that didn't have a democratic mandate to even come out in favour of better together, telling everyone that's who they should vote for. 

10 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

God USDAW are giving me PTSD when I worked for Tesco’s years ago.  Utter hopeless.  I’m in the CWU now.  Our local reps pish but overall they are ok 

You in Edinburgh? The names Kenny Logan, Gary Clark or Willie Johnson mean anything?

I remember in my postie days Kenny giving an empassioned speech from the loading bank when Brunswick Road was still there. He thought he was Scargill or something. I can't recall what it was about. Adam Crozier and the bogus colleague shares maybe.

Or perhaps the vending machines had put the tea prices up by five pence. f**k knows.

Fucking hell. Didn't know the MLO on Brunswick Road was long gone.

Many a laugh there in my cadet days. The postal strike of 1988 brought a real togetherness in the days when a Union seemed to have a bit of clout.

47 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Fucking hell. Didn't know the MLO on Brunswick Road was long gone.

Many a laugh there in my cadet days. The postal strike of 1988 brought a real togetherness in the days when a Union seemed to have a bit of clout.

Long gone. We moved out about 2008. Site sat for a while before being sold off for housing. The estate there now looks like East Germany. 

One more thing I would say to the OP is aside from the legal assistance most unions give you a death benefit. I'm with PCS now and it's about £1800.  They also offer discounts on hotels, shows, travel and the like. It's worth the cash in my case for the death benefit alone.

One more thing I would say to the OP is aside from the legal assistance most unions give you a death benefit. I'm with PCS now and it's about £1800.  They also offer discounts on hotels, shows, travel and the like. It's worth the cash in my case for the death benefit alone.

Are the PCS any good? They’d be the default choice for my employer, but if they’re a pile of shite I’ll probably not bother.

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Are the PCS any good? They’d be the default choice for my employer, but if they’re a pile of shite I’ll probably not bother.

I found the local reps good but very england focused on their website or flyers

Archived