Trade Unions

Anyone on here in a Trade Union?

I work in the retail sector, but bullying is rampant within my company from top to bottom.

I'm currently working for a tit of a manager, who now thinks it's okay for my place of work to run with just TWO members of staff during trading on a Sunday which means you can't have an 'official' rest break, despite being contracted to work 7.5 hours on that day.

On an 8 hour weekday shift, it is also the norm to just have a one hour unpaid lunch-break, with neither of the 2 x 15 minute paid breaks you should get being taken.

Now I have asked for a 15 minute break before my lunch-break, I'm accused of causing an 'atmosphere' and am being flung a deafy.

Putting my fist through his face isn't an option, so I was thinking of joining a union.

Can anyone recommend one through personal experience, and how long do you need to be a member before you're able to call on their help?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the rule of thumb is that they cant help with things before you become a member but can after you have become a memeber - probably CAB or an employment lawyer will be good alternative. But I would sign up to the Union anyway our strength is in numbers

14 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Anyone on here in a Trade Union?

I work in the retail sector, but bullying is rampant within my company from top to bottom.

I'm currently working for a tit of a manager, who now thinks it's okay for my place of work to run with just TWO members of staff during trading on a Sunday which means you can't have an 'official' rest break, despite being contracted to work 7.5 hours on that day.

On an 8 hour weekday shift, it is also the norm to just have a one hour unpaid lunch-break, with neither of the 2 x 15 minute paid breaks you should get being taken.

Now I have asked for a 15 minute break before my lunch-break, I'm accused of causing an 'atmosphere' and am being flung a deafy.

Putting my fist through his face isn't an option, so I was thinking of joining a union.

Can anyone recommend one through personal experience, and how long do you need to be a member before you're able to call on their help?

Probably Usdaw or Unite. I agree that you should join up asap as always better to be in a Union as not, especially if you're having problems.

Unite are better in my experience, however quite often it comes down to the usefulness of the Reps at local level.

Tell him you'll rip his fucking face off, worked for me for forty odd years.  c***s that behave in  such a manner at work are 100% cowards, every time.

Stand up for yourself, no other c**t will do it for you. Certainly not any modern poxy union, Section 5 is long gone unfortunately. 

19 minutes ago, Dele said:

I'm a Unite member. They're a massive fucking waste of time and money for the most part, though.

Depends if you are Len McCluskey or not really, I don't like that Unite fund the Labour party imo Unions should be free of political officiation

Tell him you'll rip his fucking face off, worked for me for forty odd years.  c***s that behave in  such a manner at work are 100% cowards, every time.

Stand up for yourself, no other c**t will do it for you. Certainly not any modern poxy union, Section 5 is long gone unfortunately. 

IMG_1878.jpg

7 minutes ago, wishyman said:

Some sound advice there from wishyman.

I was a member of Unite with my last employer and they were a waste of time. In my experience the shop stewards are more interested in their own personal interests and don’t like to rock the boat. Massive waste of time taking them into disciplinaries or meeting where they can only act as a witness. They don’t help at all.

edit for spelling

"The Union" is in fact entirely as useful as its members. My workplace is collectivized yet basically no one will step forward to be a Steward (I did it, and stepped down as it was entirely proper that I did so) yet people still constantly blame "the union" for their problems. 

You are the fucking union. Stand up and be counted.

Anuway, rant aside, being in the union but with no recognition is of some but limited value. Speak to co-workers, gauge appetite, get them to join up and then approach both your workplace HR and the union regional officer about recognition. They cant deny you it if the majority want it. Then you can effect real change.

14 minutes ago, wishyman said:

Melting him would be my favoured option, but he knows that would be my job out the door. I just want a bit of protection so work is bearable. Heard good and bad about UNITE before I came on here (same from a few on here). Was hoping there is experience of GMB or USDAW with favourable outcomes from any P&Bers

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You are the fucking union. Stand up and be counted.

We were once going through a factory wide pay off and requested a union official come in and go through our options - on any day they picked. We were told to get the factory steward to take the meeting. They were told he wasn't available until something like 12 days later due to being in Spain.

"Well, he will be back before the redundancy period is up."

3 minutes ago, Dele said:

We were once going through a factory wide pay off and requested a union official come in and go through our options - on any day they picked. We were told to get the factory steward to take the meeting. They were told he wasn't available until something like 12 days later due to being in Spain.

"Well, he will be back before the redundancy period is up."

VONC m8. Never hide behind the incompetence of a steward. 

Good points depending on local repels and whether or not they're feathering their own nests so to speak.
Having been a local rep I know first hand that some of them are management puppets.
I also had a two year secondment with a large union as a full time officer.  I've never worked with so many despicable bullying c***s in all my life.
The service you get us pretty much down to the luck of the draw with whom your rep is.
Equally, any rep can only act as far as the mandate provided to him by the shop floor, and only as robustly as they are willing to back him.

I learned that first hand.

17 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Melting him would be my favoured option, but he knows that would be my job out the door. I just want a bit of protection so work is bearable. Heard good and bad about UNITE before I came on here (same from a few on here). Was hoping there is experience of GMB or USDAW with favourable outcomes from any P&Bers

Message your fellow Jambo, Hearts Daft, see if he can get you a foot in the door at that company where he earns an impressive £8 an hour.

Usdaw are bunch of  incompetent arseholes.  They make it impossible for you to stop paying the political levy. They also tell you how to vote in referendums.

All this talk of direction coming from the shop floor is pretty much fantasy in USDAW.

Fucking arsehole c***s that they are

32 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Usdaw are bunch of  incompetent arseholes.  They make it impossible for you to stop paying the political levy. They also tell you how to vote in referendums.

All this talk of direction coming from the shop floor is pretty much fantasy in USDAW.

Fucking arsehole c***s that they are

This is true. I resigned along with many of my colleagues after they told us how to vote in the Scottish Referendum.

I'd also agree that they are one of the most useless tinpot Unions out there.

Archived