Italian Trains

senorsoupe

Has anyone taken the train and used the wifi recently in Italy?  If so, does it work?  I know that things in Italy don't always work properly but I can't get a straight answer anywhere about whether or not I can use the wifi on Italian trains without an Italian mobile phone number, has anyone without an Italian phone gotten it to work?

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Has anyone taken the train and used the wifi recently in Italy?  If so, does it work?  I know that things in Italy don't always work properly but I can't get a straight answer anywhere about whether or not I can use the wifi on Italian trains without an Italian mobile phone number, has anyone without an Italian phone gotten it to work?

No direct knowledge but probably only on the high speed trains rather than local ones. Can't see why only Italian phone numbers would work, no other country I've been to does that. I'd recommend you get a European sim card so you won't get big data charges if you have to use the phone network.

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

No direct knowledge but probably only on the high speed trains rather than local ones. Can't see why only Italian phone numbers would work, no other country I've been to does that. I'd recommend you get a European sim card so you won't get big data charges if you have to use the phone network.

Yah, that was more what I was thinking, have 5 hours in a frecciargento from Rome to Calabria so will want Wifi if it works lol. 

20 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Apparently the trains always run on time. Or used to, anyway.

Lol, always appreciate a history related joke, even if it's about a pretty awful person

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The problem is I don't know how up to date that site is, I saw that earlier and saw some posts on tripadvisor from a couple of years ago saying step 3 only works with an Italian phone number.  

Oh Italy, why do you have to make things so complicated

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

The problem is I don't know how up to date that site is, I saw that earlier and saw some posts on tripadvisor from a couple of years ago saying step 3 only works with an Italian phone number.  

Oh Italy, why do you have to make things so complicated

Take a book to read.

P.S. @throbber might know, he was training it there last year.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Take a book to read.

P.S. @throbber might know, he was training it there last year.

Good advice regarding the book. When on holiday in Lucca, we took a train to Florence, which was fine (about an hour I think)........the return journey took about 5hours!

Bring back Mussolini!

I used them in the summer, on the local trains they are very dated, slam door efforts with no mod cons. The Treinitalia intercity efforts are very comfy and fairly sure i had wifi no problem. Italo are also very good and usually cheaper than the treinitalia but not as frequent.

Theres a web site, seat51 i think it is, which details a lot about train travel in Europe, I used it for my Italy and Germany trip which may help?

The biggest problem with Italian trains is that you need to go all Rex Kramer arriving at the airport in Airplane! to actually get on them as the amount of beggars/pickpockets hanging around them is unreal.

Archived