Alloa Athletic vs Ross County 30/3/19

This is the last of a clutch of four fixtures for Alloa against top-half teams.  Will it be four losses in a row, or can they get a result to build momentum going into crucial matches against teams closer to them in the table?

Alloa haven't scored yet against Ross County this season and the visitors are heavy favourites with the bookies.  Alloa did play well enough in Dingwall in the last fixture but were helped by an injured left-back being roasted by Connor Shields.  That won't be an issue this time around, but if County go 442 again then Trouten can come into play again.

Eight matches remaining in the season for County.  This could be the first step in the march to the title.  This is the first of five matches in 15 days, so we might see a bit more rotation among the front six yet.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think we've got enough to beat Alloa down at Recreation Park. I don't think there will be many goals in this, but I think we may nick it 2-1. We need to with Dundee United getting three wins on the bounce now. Still got two points and two games in hand, but the games against Caley and Dundee United are approaching fast.

0-1 or  0-2.   All the games this season have played out the same way, more or less.  Stubborn defending broken down eventually.  Less of the Graham/Stewart front line though, please.

Seems logical that we'll need to rotate squad, preferably keeping as consistent a back 4 as possible, as Bunglebonce indicates. Does that mean it is Boyle who comes in to join Fraser, Watson & VdWeg? 

Our most valuable available players are probably Gardyne and Mullin, (definitely Gardyne and Mullin). 

but I don't think we can expect to play both for 5 x90 minutes in those next couple of weeks. So we'll need minutes from Armstrong, and probably also use McManus in a wide role at times. 

It is clear that Armstrong and Semple have been brought in for the longer term. As is Paton.

Add Grivo to that and the club have 4 players who can progress next season. I really don’t think we will see much of them until promotion is confirmed. 

The next 4 or 5 games demands experience to get over he line. 

38 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

Seems logical that we'll need to rotate squad, preferably keeping as consistent a back 4 as possible, as Bunglebonce indicates. Does that mean it is Boyle who comes in to join Fraser, Watson & VdWeg? 

Our most valuable available players are probably Gardyne and Mullin, (definitely Gardyne and Mullin). 

but I don't think we can expect to play both for 5 x90 minutes in those next couple of weeks. So we'll need minutes from Armstrong, and probably also use McManus in a wide role at times. 

I'd definitely include Lindsay, in tight games, the timing of his breaks from midfield create goals.

I can see us starting our strongest XI in every match and sub the likes of Mullin and Gardyne off once we hopefully have a safe lead. 

It's gonna be a tough match and tense run in with some tasty fixtures to come.

I'm booked up on the Black Isle bus for this, looking forward to it, haven't been to Recreation Park for many years.

9 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

I'd definitely include Lindsay, in tight games, the timing of his breaks from midfield create goals.

I can see us starting our strongest XI in every match and sub the likes of Mullin and Gardyne off once we hopefully have a safe lead. 

It's gonna be a tough match and tense run in with some tasty fixtures to come.

I'm booked up on the Black Isle bus for this, looking forward to it, haven't been to Recreation Park for many years.

Conversely, either of them coming on for last half hour against tiring defence can be devastating, see Sunday...

It is clear that Armstrong and Semple have been brought in for the longer term. As is Paton.
Add Grivo to that and the club have 4 players who can progress next season. I really don’t think we will see much of them until promotion is confirmed. 
The next 4 or 5 games demands experience to get over he line. 

Harry Paton is out of contract in the summer.

21 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

If Don Cowie is keeping him out of the starting XI, then the question should be is he doing enough to get a new contract. 

do the management trust Paton? I'm unsure they don't seem keen on using him at all.

Now is the time for experience to secure promotion. The earlier that is done the quicker the younger lads will play this season.

Semple has played 30 games in the Championship and cups this season. That is more than the average for any player in this league, but at this stage he is still inexperienced. 

In a more defensive set up, which we will play next season in the Premiership he will play even more.

I think Paton will be given more chance to shine as will Armstrong.

Grivo has shown great promise this season and will be hear also.

Imagine if we played them now and missed out on promotion!! They would be hung out to dry. 

So it’s good management to use them sparingly at present.

Archived