Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

9 hours ago, Marten said:

In case of a home draw for the final, I suppose it would make sense to contact the teams in the other semi final in advance to arrange a friendly against whoever loses that one if needed.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There is no way the SFA are going to get away with selling tickets on that basis, I wouldn't have thought. I suppose the demand for home play-off tickets would be high enough that they'd probably sell out even if this was explicitly advertised, but I don't think it would go down well with supporters or the media and there would be a lot of pressure as a result.

Sell-out at £35 would be ~£1.5M... will they give that up on principle rather than substitute a friendly, or perhaps substitute a friendly and offer a discount? Suppose we'll see in due course.

General question but as it stands wales would be bumped into route a, bit Northern Ireland who performed worse would get an easier route? Is that correct? Also romania or someone would be bumped up too possibly to make numbers up. I suppose it technically makes the route easier for nations league group winners but it seems harsh on the likes of wales. 
Wales don't get bumped up currently. They stay in B with Northern Ireland.

10 hours ago, charger29 said:
17 hours ago, Latino Lover said:
General question but as it stands wales would be bumped into route a, bit Northern Ireland who performed worse would get an easier route? Is that correct? Also romania or someone would be bumped up too possibly to make numbers up. I suppose it technically makes the route easier for nations league group winners but it seems harsh on the likes of wales. 

Wales don't get bumped up currently. They stay in B with Northern Ireland.

You sure? As it stands I make it Switzerland Iceland wales and Slovakia in a. Bosnia, NI, Israel and Bulgaria b and Scotland Norway Serbia and Romania in c?

edit yes you’re right just googled it and UEFA has it as it stands.

Edited by Latino Lover

The group winners are the only teams guaranteed to be in their "proper" path for the play-offs.

After that, the decisions are made in this order:

1. Identify the teams who will fill the remaining gaps

2. Ensure that, if possible, no path has more than one host.

3. Randomly draw the remaining teams into the paths (ensuring no team drops down)

So for Scotland's path, it looks like 3 out of 4 of the group winners will qualify (us, Norway, Serbia), but since the fourth group winner, Finland, are going to qualify automatically, there is a vacancy.

However, since there are also going to be vacancies in the League A and B spots which will need to be filled by League C teams, there will need to be a draw to decide who goes where.

As it stands, that means Romania would get put up to League A to maintain one host in each path, and then Bulgaria and Israel could either end up in B or C, so it would be a random draw between those two to decide who goes to B and who stays in C.

The good news in all of this is that we *should* win the Semi-Final - Bulgaria are dogshite, and Alex McLeish was able to get us past Israel.

The final depends on if we're at home or not, Serbia give me the fear, I don't think we've ever beat Serbia (since they've been Serbia) and can remember us getting pasted by them in Beograd when Strachan came in. Norway are no mugs too, given that they have a handful of talented youngsters coming through that are now playing at the elite level, similar to Iceland about 5 years ago.

If we are away in Serbia at least @craigkillie can give us some tourist advice. Looked on Airbnb last night and saw 5 star rated places in central Belgrade for £16 a night, no bad.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

The final depends on if we're at home or not, Serbia give me the fear, I don't think we've ever beat Serbia (since they've been Serbia) and can remember us getting pasted by them in Beograd when Strachan came in. Norway are no mugs too, given that they have a handful of talented youngsters coming through that are now playing at the elite level, similar to Iceland about 5 years ago.

1955 ... Yugoslavia 2-2 Scotland
1956 ... Scotland 2-0 Yugoslavia
1958 ... Scotland 1-1 Yugoslavia (WC 1958 in Sweden)
1972 ... Yugoslavia 2-2 Scotland (in Brazil)
1974 ... Yugoslavia 1-1 Scotland (WC 1974 in West Germany)
1984 ... Scotland 6-1 Yugoslavia
1988 ... Scotland 1-1 Yugoslavia (WC 90 qualifier)
1989 ... Yugoslavia 3-1 Scotland (WC 90 qualifier)
2012 ... Scotland 0-0 Serbia (WC 2014 qualifier)
2013 ... Serbia 2-0 Scotland (WC 2014 qualifier)

1929 ... Norway 3-7 Scotland
1954 ... Scotland 1-0 Norway

1954 ... Norway 1-1 Scotland
1963 ... Norway 4-3 Scotland
1963 ... Scotland 6-1 Norway
1974 ... Norway 1-2 Scotland
1978 ... Scotland 3-2 Norway (Euro 80 qualifier)
1979 ... Norway 0-4 Scotland (Euro 80 qualifier)
1988 ... Norway 1-2 Scotland (WC 90 qualifier)

1989 ... Scotland 1-1 Norway (WC 90 qualifier)
1992 ... Norway 0-0 Scotland
1998 ... Norway 1-1 Scotland (WC 98 in France)
2003 ... Norway 0-0 Scotland
2004 ... Scotland 0-1 Norway (WC 2006 qualifier)
2005 ... Norway 1-2 Scotland (WC 2006 qualifier)
2008 ... Scotland 0-0 Norway (WC 2010 qualifier)
2009 ... Norway 4-0 Scotland (WC 2010 qualifier)
2013 ... Norway 0-1 Scotland

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

1955 ... Yugoslavia 2-2 Scotland
1956 ... Scotland 2-0 Yugoslavia
1958 ... Scotland 1-1 Yugoslavia (WC 1958 in Sweden)
1972 ... Yugoslavia 2-2 Scotland (in Brazil)
1974 ... Yugoslavia 1-1 Scotland (WC 1974 in West Germany)
1984 ... Scotland 6-1 Yugoslavia
1988 ... Scotland 1-1 Yugoslavia (WC 90 qualifier)
1989 ... Yugoslavia 3-1 Scotland (WC 90 qualifier)
2012 ... Scotland 0-0 Serbia (WC 2014 qualifier)
2013 ... Serbia 2-0 Scotland (WC 2014 qualifier)

1929 ... Norway 3-7 Scotland
1954 ... Scotland 1-0 Norway

1954 ... Norway 1-1 Scotland
1963 ... Norway 4-3 Scotland
1963 ... Scotland 6-1 Norway
1974 ... Norway 1-2 Scotland
1978 ... Scotland 3-2 Norway (Euro 80 qualifier)
1979 ... Norway 0-4 Scotland (Euro 80 qualifier)
1988 ... Norway 1-2 Scotland (WC 90 qualifier)

1989 ... Scotland 1-1 Norway (WC 90 qualifier)
1992 ... Norway 0-0 Scotland
1998 ... Norway 1-1 Scotland (WC 98 in France)
2003 ... Norway 0-0 Scotland
2004 ... Scotland 0-1 Norway (WC 2006 qualifier)
2005 ... Norway 1-2 Scotland (WC 2006 qualifier)
2008 ... Scotland 0-0 Norway (WC 2010 qualifier)
2009 ... Norway 4-0 Scotland (WC 2010 qualifier)
2013 ... Norway 0-1 Scotland

Proving my point, we've never beat Serbia since its been just Serbia. Or Ever in a competitive game when it was part of Yugoslavia.

Never said anything about our record against Norway.

7 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Proving my point, we've never beat Serbia since its been just Serbia. Or Ever in a competitive game when it was part of Yugoslavia.

Never said anything about our record against Norway.

We’ve played them twice for f**k’s sake. Serbia =/= Yugoslavia.

Two win in nine against Norway over thirty years doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Considering the low ebb we're at, I'm fairly certain they'd have their way with us if they were good enough to get past Serbia.

Our play-off group is oddly annoying me far more than Path D. I quite like the idea of chucking a single spot to the best of the diddies, who'd likely never get a sniff of a proper tournament otherwise. They'll need to have played at their best to qualify, at least.

Countries like us and Bulgaria have realistic ambitions of qualifying for a tournament featuring half of Europe, but have been demonstrably dung. My charitable feelings don't extend to allowing one of the big under achievers in.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the groups for the last two matchdays we're basically hoping for a miracle with Serbia. Serbia will need to beat Luxembourg and Ukraine at home and hope Portugal drop points against either Lithuania or Luxembourg. Stranger things have happened though.

I don't think it's out of the question that we face a fellow host in the playoffs either. Switzerland are very likely to qualify meaning either Denmark or Rep.Ireland will be in the playoffs. If Hungary don't win in Wales then somebody will quite likely push them out of 2nd and into the playoffs too. So that would be 4 hosts (Scotland, Ireland/Denmark, Hungary, Romania) trying to fit into three playoff paths.

I was thinking Wales were basically done btw but they're still in with a good shout.

Playoff draw is next Friday at 12pm CET time which should be 11am in UK.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

I don't think it's out of the question that we face a fellow host in the playoffs either. Switzerland are very likely to qualify meaning either Denmark or Rep.Ireland will be in the playoffs. If Hungary don't win in Wales then somebody will quite likely push them out of 2nd and into the playoffs too. So that would be 4 hosts (Scotland, Ireland/Denmark, Hungary, Romania) trying to fit into three playoff paths.

As things stand we're in a play-off route with Serbia, Norway and one of Bulgaria/Israel/Romania, and looking at the remaining fixtures I can't see that changing.

I basically see the play-offs as simply as: we should win at home to any of those three teams, and if that was the case and we then get drawn at home in the play-off final then we've got a 50/50 chance. If we're drawn away, we're fucked.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

Looking at the groups for the last two matchdays we're basically hoping for a miracle with Serbia. Serbia will need to beat Luxembourg and Ukraine at home and hope Portugal drop points against either Lithuania or Luxembourg. Stranger things have happened though.

I was thinking Wales were basically done btw but they're still in with a good shout.

Playoff draw is next Friday at 12pm CET time which should be 11am in UK.

Why is there a draw? I thought rankings decided who played who?

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why is there a draw? I thought rankings decided who played who?

They'll be drawing who the home team are for the final, and I think they'll need to draw out which diddy gets upgraded to a harder game - like in the case of Bulgaria/Israel/Romania, as one of those needs to move up.  We could well end up playing one of those.  I think.  

A lot of games will be decided already, but there's still admin they can get a free lunch out of.

Just now, forameus said:

They'll be drawing who the home team are for the final, and I think they'll need to draw out which diddy gets upgraded to a harder game - like in the case of Bulgaria/Israel/Romania, as one of those needs to move up.  We could well end up playing one of those.  I think.  

A lot of games will be decided already, but there's still admin they can get a free lunch out of.

Sound, thanks.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

As things stand we're in a play-off route with Serbia, Norway and one of Bulgaria/Israel/Romania, and looking at the remaining fixtures I can't see that changing.

I basically see the play-offs as simply as: we should win at home to any of those three teams, and if that was the case and we then get drawn at home in the play-off final then we've got a 50/50 chance. If we're drawn away, we're fucked.

I think we could absolutely win away against Bulgaria or Israel. We wouldn't be favourites to do so, but we wouldn't be complete write-offs either. Bulgaria haven't won a single game in qualifying, and Israel have drawn at home to Macedonia and Slovenia. Scotland's performance away in Israel was about as abject an away performance as I've seen (at least until we were even worse in Kazakhstan), and yet they only scraped a 2-1 win.

Additionally, I'd say we'd have some chance in Norway purely because the climate there is quite similar to ours and it wouldn't be the sort of raucous atmosphere we'd get in Southern Europe. They're absolutely a better team than us based on qualifying, but we'd have a slim chance.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think we could absolutely win away against Bulgaria or Israel. We wouldn't be favourites to do so, but we wouldn't be complete write-offs either. Bulgaria haven't won a single game in qualifying, and Israel have drawn at home to Macedonia and Slovenia. Scotland's performance away in Israel was about as abject an away performance as I've seen (at least until we were even worse in Kazakhstan), and yet they only scraped a 2-1 win.

Additionally, I'd say we'd have some chance in Norway purely because the climate there is quite similar to ours and it wouldn't be the sort of raucous atmosphere we'd get in Southern Europe. They're absolutely a better team than us based on qualifying, but we'd have a slim chance.

I thought we’re definitely playing the semi at home vs Bulgaria/Israel/Romania?