Jump to content
charger29

Euro 2020 Play-offs

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, George Parr said:

Bosnia have requested a postponement for their match v Missus Bunfield

Had to google that reference. Glad I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving the Euros back a year is great for us.  Most of our good players are relatively young, so in a year will be slightly better players.  Imagine how good Gilmour could be in a year, Malky Mackay would probably have him captaining the u19s by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Moving the Euros back a year is great for us.  Most of our good players are relatively young, so in a year will be slightly better players.  Imagine how good Gilmour could be in a year, Malky Mackay would probably have him captaining the u19s by then.

Steady!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicola Sturgeon has just announced that gatherings of 500 or more will be cancelled from next week.  It's not clear for how long, but presumably at least a couple of weeks, so that means our game will be either postponed or held behind closed doors.

Edited by Gnash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Nicola Sturgeon has just announced that gatherings of 500 or more will be cancelled from next week.  It's not clear for how long, but presumably at least a couple of weeks, so that means our game will be either postponed or held behind closed doors.

If they're moving the Euros to next year there is no need to play these play-offs just now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gnash said:

Nicola Sturgeon has just announced that gatherings of 500 or more will be cancelled from next week.  It's not clear for how long, but presumably at least a couple of weeks, so that means our game will be either postponed or held behind closed doors.

 

This is going to last months, there is absolutely no chance that the Israel game will have fans attending, and I would say next to no chance it will go ahead at all.

The Euros will be postponed until next year so no need to play it soon anyway.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland's luck would be that Israel will probably unearth the next Messi or Ronaldo by next year and Gilmour will still be in the u21s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If they're moving the Euros to next year there is no need to play these play-offs just now.

It hinges on that basically.  If UEFA decide the Euros isn't happening as planned (which is surely 99.9999% certain now) then it would be, at best, irresponsible to have the playoff games, particularly now that it looks like all games in Britain - and probably Europe - are going to be off.

About a 0.0001% chance it gets played behind closed doors.  Rest is it being postponed or cancelled.  And to think 2 weeks ago it looked inconceivable...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/03/2020 at 18:51, DAVIDB69 said:

 


It isn’t going to be postponed

 

 

21 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Image result for spock gif

[effects output image]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems ambitious.  I would've just aimed for them to be next March and shift everything by a year, but I guess they'll be hoping for World Cup Qualifiers then.  

I mean, I'd love for us to be in a position where I'm spending a nice June evening watching us body Israel, but even that, 10+ weeks down the road, seems bold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be very surprised to see them happening in June. I suspect we’ll be without football for a while after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, forameus said:

That seems ambitious.  I would've just aimed for them to be next March and shift everything by a year, but I guess they'll be hoping for World Cup Qualifiers then.  

I mean, I'd love for us to be in a position where I'm spending a nice June evening watching us body Israel, but even that, 10+ weeks down the road, seems bold.

Totally agree. Especially as there's next to no chance of any of our (or Israel's) players being anywhere near match fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being "match fit" is irrelevant. Nobody is going to be playing friendlies when we are finally allowed to play football again - they won't be able to afford to wait for the income from "proper" games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Being "match fit" is irrelevant. Nobody is going to be playing friendlies when we are finally allowed to play football again - they won't be able to afford to wait for the income from "proper" games.

So you think it'd be a good idea to come stumbling out of cold storage and into a game like this? That'd quite possibly be the worst preparation possible for the biggest game the NT have had for over a decade. You could say it'd be the same for the opposition but that's a rather flimsy argument. 

When footy comes back, yes it will have to come back with a bang, straight into money-earning games. I don't think that this should be the one we come back for though.

P.S. stop putting everything in quotes, it makes you sound twice as sarky as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...