Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

The only five central defenders we should be considering for these games are Hanley, Cooper, Mulgrew, Findlay and Gallagher. I'd probably not pick Mulgrew cause he hasn't been playing but he's an experienced head and uses the ball well. Hanley and Cooper should start, both leaders who are up against elite competition every week and playing for a winning side who knock the ball about respectively.

Any other suggestions are a combo of:

- Abroad League hubris 

- "He played/plays for the team I support"

- Trainspotting heat map rainman nonsense

Cooper and Hanley should be starting, but do you seriously think two bog standard Premiership centre halves who will be squad players at best are irreplaceable? You need to fucking calm down mate.

11 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Michael Rose is ex Aberdeen and Ayr Centre half, now playing regularly for Coventry in league one. No idea how he's been playing this season but he seems popular among the hipster xG types on twitter.

As good a reason as any to leave him out of the squad. 

12 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Cooper and Hanley should be starting, but do you seriously think two bog standard Premiership centre halves who will be squad players at best are irreplaceable? You need to fucking calm down mate.

They obviously aren't "irreplaceable" but McKenna injured and they are clearly better players than oddball favourites like Caulker, Lindsay or Bates. 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Need more guid EPL lads like wee Burnie IMO 

26 appearances for the side 6th in one of the elite leagues in the world following a £20m move last summer. Him and Griffiths are the only two options to start.

15 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

The only five central defenders we should be considering for these games are Hanley, Cooper, Mulgrew, Findlay and Gallagher. I'd probably not pick Mulgrew cause he hasn't been playing but he's an experienced head and uses the ball well. Hanley and Cooper should start, both leaders who are up against elite competition every week and playing for a winning side who knock the ball about respectively.

Any other suggestions are a combo of:

- Abroad League hubris 

- "He played/plays for the team I support"

- Trainspotting heat map rainman nonsense

Mulgrew is about sixty and hasn't played a minuite of football in three months.  No danger he should ever be in a Scotland squad again,he is utterly done.

12 hours ago, the snudge said:

Bardsley looked not too bad today for Burnley and I know he's quite old but centre half or right back, could he be an option? 

Think he's only 32 and is still the best RB we have available.  Strap-on just stopped picking him cause he's a daft wee fanny.  Contrary to popular belief Bardsley has never once said he doesn't want to play for Scotland, and has a couple of times expressed surprise and disappointment he's never been called up.

Absolute no-brainer he should be in the team.  Watched Palmer the other night, fair enough against Man City, but he is absolutely fuckin honking.  Can barely control his own feet, and complete haddy of no use at all.

For me Bardsley or Tierney or anybody else cause Palmer is shite.

11 minutes ago, Geez a Braco said:

You'd be picking Ollie Burke if price, appearances, and the league they play in are your criteria.   

If you were basing it on footballing abilities like touch, control, finishing, awareness,  neither would be anywhere near the squad.   

Except for the fact Burke played in the same Celtic team as Griffiths and was an absolute dumpling. His transfer fees were years ago and he has never been a starter anywhere. McBurnie outperformed Burke massively in the Skybet and moved for 20m around 6 months ago.

22 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Tom Cairney scores his 8th goal today as he captain’s Fulham to 3rd in the league. He may well be back in the Premiership next season.

Lets hope that guys like him and Barry Bannan are considered for the squad ahead of shite like Christie and Jack who can’t even get in the starting XI in the Scottish diddy league! 😃

Don’t agree with a lot of what you say mate but you are spot on about Cairney.

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Just watched Gallagher today and was quite impressed. Made a couple of bad decisions but his distribution was good and he's like a magnet for the ball in both boxes.

Halkett, on the other hand, was dreadful. He is good if you just shell the ball at him, but anything on the deck and he's a nightmare.

Amazing the difference that good coaching and confidence makes. Last season, Halkett was definitely ahead of Gallagher (both good players, it must be said) and unlucky not to have a call up.  

Levein and playing next to Berra for months have ruined him. Hopefully recovers to do better than James McPake. There are a lot of parallels I can draw between them at this stage of their careers.

Starting 11 for Euro 2020 Playoffs:

griffiths 

mcginn                 

armstrong                                       fraser

gilmour   mctominay

robertson (c)    Cooper       Hanley      tierney

marshall

subs :

gordon

naismith

forrest

Findlay

Gallagher

mcgregor

taylor

Odonnell

mcburnie/fletcher (preferably fletcher) 

Christie

Palmer

Jack

Fleck

Edited by greenockraver

3 minutes ago, Geez a Braco said:

I suspect Steve Clarke will play the following:  

Marshall 
Palmer Hanley Gallagher Robertson 
McTominay McGregor 
Christie McGinn Fraser 
Naismith 

I know you want naismith to play mate, you have been saying it all day.

But naismiths about 60 now :(

I always thought Mo Johnston was a good striker. But not for the current squad. I've learned to come to terms with that.

14 minutes ago, Geez a Braco said:

I just want Scotland to qualify for a major finals, 1998 was a generation away.    

We'll be playing 1 striker up top against Israel and hopefully in the next match.   The players best suited to this is Fletcher and Naismith, it's a well proven fact.    

I care more than the clowns selecting  McBurnie purely  for trolling purposes.   

I don't doubt that you care mate, we all want Scotland to qualify.

But what happens is people get older. And then they can be longer run, or have any agility.

Fletcher and Naismith may have been suited to this a while ago.

But both are now to old. 

Fletcher has also treated the Scotland team like absolute dirt. So doesn't deserve to ever get a game. Even if he was worth selecting.

Naismith is a guy that will give everything, will turn up every time he's selected.

But ffs, he's miles off being our current first choice.

5 minutes ago, Geez a Braco said:

Would help if you expand the point, because you view is as valid as mine.   

When did Naismith become "miles off it"?   He's been great this season.  

Who's the obvious first choice?  

Griffiths is the obvious first choice. Watch the highlights from his 3 goals today. 2nd and 3rd in particular, could you see naismith scoring them?

Hes far from perfect but hes a natural striker which naismith isn't. 

He's also better than naismith in every conceivable footballing or physical attribute.

If your sticking with naismith being your guy, fair enough. I just hope your disappointed in a couple a few wks.