Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

10 hours ago, Donathan said:

If the playoffs get cancelled but the situation has sorted itself in time for the finals to be played would we qualify automatically as the top seed in league C?

I'd doubt they get cancelled completely.  Most likely seems to be behind closed doors.  But if they go all the way and cancel, I expect Craig is right.  UEFA will start crying and eventually have to make an on-the-spot decision on what to do.  Fairest seems to be that we go through based on Nations League, but they could go with the Qualifying Groups themselves, in which case it'd be Norway.  Or maybe they go with a combination of both and end up with some Frankenstein's monster that absolutely will not just be down to whichever association did the best finger food buffets in the past. 

21 hours ago, charger29 said:

Tierney back in full training.
There really shouldn't be any issues with him getting selected this time. If anything Arsenal should want him in to get his match fitness back.
I still don't particularly like the idea of him being the RB but hopefully it'll give us some improvement at the back.
That assumes he actually gets into the 11. With Palmer still playing 90mins every week at RB for S.Wednesday, Clarke will have had him penned in as the presumed starter for a while now.

Would be surprised if he is in the squad.  Arsenal will ask for him to miss out, and so they should. I don't think people understand how long it takes to get match fit, being back in training now does not mean he'll be fit for the 26th. 

Same with McGinn, both have just restarted training, neither will be ready.  McGinn might play a bit of both games but neither player will be 100% and I don't think Tierney will be in the squad.

Would be surprised if he is in the squad.  Arsenal will ask for him to miss out, and so they should. I don't think people understand how long it takes to get match fit, being back in training now does not mean he'll be fit for the 26th. 
Same with McGinn, both have just restarted training, neither will be ready.  McGinn might play a bit of both games but neither player will be 100% and I don't think Tierney will be in the squad.
Tierney has been training for weeks. Just avoiding the full contact parts until now.
If Greg Taylor can get in the October squad after not playing for two months, get in the November squad (and play 180mins) after only playing 90mins in three months, then I don't see how McGinn and Tierney can't.
McGinn is an absolute cert to be in it and will likely start both games. Tierney is a bit of a wildcard obviously but there's no excuses for this squad. He can't say "I need to miss out on these matches so I can get my match fitness back". It would make no sense.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

Tierney has been training for weeks. Just avoiding the full contact parts until now.
If Greg Taylor can get in the October squad after not playing for two months, get in the November squad (and play 180mins) after only playing 90mins in three months, then I don't see how McGinn and Tierney can't.
McGinn is an absolute cert to be in it and will likely start both games. Tierney is a bit of a wildcard obviously but there's no excuses for this squad. He can't say "I need to miss out on these matches so I can get my match fitness back". It would make no sense.

Tierney started full contact training yesterday.  The first game is three weeks away. Arsenal have three games to play in that time.

So at most, Tierney makes three appearances.  Realistically three is unlikely, you're looking at one or two. I don't see him being involved this weekend. 

Neither will be ninety minutes or anything close to it, and  veryunlikely he will even start either game.  So he goes into these games with one or two appearances, both as a substitute, under his belt.

To be fully match fit you need ten or fifteen appearances under your belt, with at least 6-8 full ninety minutes.  Tierney will be miles away from that.

McGinn has had less time out and less injury problems recently, started full training a few days ago.  Its possible he will play this weekend for Villa but not likely. Meaning he makes at most two appearances before the play-off.  Again, coming back from injury, neither will be a full game, and probably neither a start (maybe one in his case). 

So both players go into these games not fully fit, and with hardly any game time at all under their belts.  I wouldn't be starting either against Israel if both are in the squad, and they wouldn't be able to play a whole game in the final either.

I read a while ago it said about Tierney he will come back really fit cause he's been running since the middle of January, but still not MATCH fit.  Arsenal will ask for him to miss out most likely, though in this case I think Clarke would be right to put his foot down and insist he comes along, but is used sparingly.

McGinn an important player for his team they will want him back asap but he can't just start games straight away after a few months out.

Also re Gilmour, people need to realise there is a fitness issue too.  Chelsea play four games between now and Israel. People are saying well if he can start every game get him in. 

If he was to start every game then play for Scotland in both games, or even be heavily involved in every game without starting all of them, that's seven massive and physically demanding games for an 18 year old in a month.  Its too big an ask.

He still needs to be managed, so this weekend I'd start him but not full ninety minutes, and a couple of sub appearances too over Chelsea's next four games. If he plays maybe one full ninety and a couple of sub appearances and maybe 70 minutes this weekend, he could be introudced hopefully with the game won with 20 to go against Israel.  Then if he does well he'd be fit to play a big part, say half an hour plus extra time for example, if need be in the final.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

Just read a minute ago, Aston Villa press conference today.  McGinn has not actually restarted full training yet, I thought he had, he has done everything except full contact work.

He won't be ready for Leicester on Monday, but has a chance of Chelsea next weekend.  Meaning at most he makes two appearances before Israel, coming back from four months out with a broken ankle, with neither being starts.

No danger he's ready to start both games for Scotland, or play a full game in either.  If he did he'd be doing it not fully fit cause the manager asked him to and wouldn't be at his best.  Tierney likewise.

On 04/03/2020 at 15:22, Jeremiah Cole said:

The team is now more or less picking itself

Marshall

Palmer, Hanley, Cooper, Robertson

Armstrong, Gilmour, McTominay, Fleck

McBurnie, Fraser

So 442 a formation we don't play, with fleck and Fraser playing in positions they have never played? 

Yeah it picks itself 🤡

Edited by BingMcCrosby

2 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

So 442 a formation we don't play, with fleck and Fraser playing in positions they have never played? 

Yeah it picks itself 🤡

Also Picking a guy whos never been in the squad before let alone have a cap doesnt Exactly pick itself either. Absolute loonball.

Guest DAVIDB69

Yes we have to get away from players using Scotland squads to build up their club fitness like a reserve game .

That was a feature under strachan

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah it picks itself 🤡

We don’t play? 

eh? Well, I say  play it!

International football is always about some players being flexible 

Fleck plays on the left of a 3 at Sheffield Utd and supports an attacking wing back. Playing on the left  to support Robertson makes sense.

And giving Fraser a free role in attack would get the best out of him

Edited by Jeremiah Cole

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

We don’t play? 

Fleck plays on the left of a 3 at Sheffield Utd and supports an attacking wing back. Playing on the left  to support Robertson makes sense.

Totally, just play a new formation in the 2 biggest games in years. 

Yeah play players out of position, it's great stuff. 

It picks itself, if you are an absolute womble.

This should be the squad for me:

Marshall / Gordon / MacGillivary

Robertson / Palmer / O'Donnell / Cooper / Findlay / Hanley

McTominay / McGregor / Fleck / McLean / Gilmour

Forrest / Fraser / Phillips / Christie / Naismith / Armstrong / Paterson

McBurnie / Griffiths

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

We don’t play? 

Playing Fleck at left mid would nulify Robertson imo. 

Robbo plays well for Liverpool because Mane infront of him constantly cuts inside due to being right footed, allowing Robbo to drive into the vacated space from deep.

We need either Fraser or Forrest on the left to create that space for Robertson. Something both of them have done successfully for their sides for a large part of this season.

22 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

This should be the squad for me:

Marshall / Gordon / MacGillivary

Robertson / Palmer / O'Donnell / Cooper / Findlay / Hanley

McTominay / McGregor / Fleck / McLean / Gilmour

Forrest / Fraser / Phillips / Christie / Naismith / Armstrong / Paterson

McBurnie / Griffiths

A few too many midfielders in there for me. Would want some more cover up front and in defence.

Also I’d have Liam Kelly in the squad. He’s at least getting a regular game for QPR which is more than Gordon and Macgilvary are just now.

32 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

A few too many midfielders in there for me. Would want some more cover up front and in defence.

Also I’d have Liam Kelly in the squad. He’s at least getting a regular game for QPR which is more than Gordon and Macgilvary are just now.

Totally agree with Liam Kelly, forgot about him! 

Thinking was Naismith and even Phillips could play up front. Palmer and McGregor can cover left back. Get a new CD in if one of the others get injured... Maybe replace Paterson with another CD (Considine or Murray Wallace) and I'd still be happy.