Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Nicola Sturgeon has just announced that gatherings of 500 or more will be cancelled from next week.  It's not clear for how long, but presumably at least a couple of weeks, so that means our game will be either postponed or held behind closed doors.

If they're moving the Euros to next year there is no need to play these play-offs just now.

3 hours ago, Gnash said:

Nicola Sturgeon has just announced that gatherings of 500 or more will be cancelled from next week.  It's not clear for how long, but presumably at least a couple of weeks, so that means our game will be either postponed or held behind closed doors.

This is going to last months, there is absolutely no chance that the Israel game will have fans attending, and I would say next to no chance it will go ahead at all.

The Euros will be postponed until next year so no need to play it soon anyway.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

18 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If they're moving the Euros to next year there is no need to play these play-offs just now.

It hinges on that basically.  If UEFA decide the Euros isn't happening as planned (which is surely 99.9999% certain now) then it would be, at best, irresponsible to have the playoff games, particularly now that it looks like all games in Britain - and probably Europe - are going to be off.

About a 0.0001% chance it gets played behind closed doors.  Rest is it being postponed or cancelled.  And to think 2 weeks ago it looked inconceivable...

That seems ambitious.  I would've just aimed for them to be next March and shift everything by a year, but I guess they'll be hoping for World Cup Qualifiers then.  

I mean, I'd love for us to be in a position where I'm spending a nice June evening watching us body Israel, but even that, 10+ weeks down the road, seems bold.

23 hours ago, forameus said:

That seems ambitious.  I would've just aimed for them to be next March and shift everything by a year, but I guess they'll be hoping for World Cup Qualifiers then.  

I mean, I'd love for us to be in a position where I'm spending a nice June evening watching us body Israel, but even that, 10+ weeks down the road, seems bold.

Totally agree. Especially as there's next to no chance of any of our (or Israel's) players being anywhere near match fit.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Being "match fit" is irrelevant. Nobody is going to be playing friendlies when we are finally allowed to play football again - they won't be able to afford to wait for the income from "proper" games.

So you think it'd be a good idea to come stumbling out of cold storage and into a game like this? That'd quite possibly be the worst preparation possible for the biggest game the NT have had for over a decade. You could say it'd be the same for the opposition but that's a rather flimsy argument. 

When footy comes back, yes it will have to come back with a bang, straight into money-earning games. I don't think that this should be the one we come back for though.

P.S. stop putting everything in quotes, it makes you sound twice as sarky as usual.

34 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

So you think it'd be a good idea to come stumbling out of cold storage and into a game like this? That'd quite possibly be the worst preparation possible for the biggest game the NT have had for over a decade. You could say it'd be the same for the opposition but that's a rather flimsy argument. 

When footy comes back, yes it will have to come back with a bang, straight into money-earning games. I don't think that this should be the one we come back for though.

P.S. stop putting everything in quotes, it makes you sound twice as sarky as usual.

It's not like Israel or Norway/Serbia will have been playing warm up matches and we haven't. Everyone in the same boat.

51 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The SFA will be in the same boat as everyone else - if the game is able to go ahead then it will because they'll be contractually obliged to play it. I'll use "quotes" whenever I want, thanks.

"You're welcome"

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not like Israel or Norway/Serbia will have been playing warm up matches and we haven't. Everyone in the same boat.

Yeah I do realise that. But it's a bit of a lottery, isn't it? If we're going to fail in these playoffs I'd rather fail after giving as good an account of ourselves as possible, with our best players fit and sharp. It'd be very shit (and very likely) for us to completely misfire against Israel were it to be be the first game back for our lot.  

• 2 months later...