Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

4 minutes ago, Geez a Braco said:

Only gave 2 questions.   I was interested for you to answer them, you chose not to.  

Griffiths is a more natural striker and Naismith a more complete forward.    This is universally accepted.

We'll see what Steve Clarke goes with and if Leigh scores a brace I'd be delighted.   He's a fine player. 

in what way is he more complete?  He can't run in behind, can't run at all infact, isn't a good finisher, can't beat a player, doesn't provide the threat Griffiths does from distance.

He probably holds the ball up a little better and is cute and clever, but I don't see how he's a more complete player.  And I would hardly say he's been 'great' this season, he's scored five goals for the team bottom of the league.  Is that really 'great'?  Griffiths got three at the weekend ffs.

3 minutes ago, Geez a Braco said:

Only gave 2 questions.   I was interested for you to answer them, you chose not to.  

Griffiths is a more natural striker and Naismith a more complete forward.    This is universally accepted.

We'll see what Steve Clarke goes with and if Leigh scores a brace I'd be delighted.   He's a fine player. 

Your second question was "who's the obvious first choice"

I started my response with the words

"Griffiths is the obvious first choice"

And then preceded to give reasons why.

So I'm not sure how you can say I chose not to answer that question!

Second question was 

"when did Naismith become miles off it"

I didn't answer that because it was a pointless boring question. You want me to actually give a specific date? 

He is miles off it now, that's what's important.

And on another note, saying "this is common knowledge" or "this is universally accepted" just makes me think you don't have enough belief in your own views to just write them.

1 minute ago, Geez a Braco said:

So you're a troll.   Goodbye and blocked.   

Mods bin him  

You will have to explain yourself further. Perhaps you aren't sure what the phrase means.

I have not called you any names abused you in any way all I have done is disagree with your opinion.

14 minutes ago, Geez a Braco said:

More complete probably more in football intelligence.     I feel McGinn, Fraser, Christie probably have a better game if Naismith plays.   

I like both footballers and I don't know which one I'd pick.    I think Steve Clarke will start Naismith as he's been brilliant for us in the last few games.  What do you think ? 

So is Dalglish but we won't be starting him.

I think we have different definitions of brilliant.  I'm not sure Naismith has ever been brilliant in his life (I know Griffiths has) and don't remember him doing anything particularly impressive for Scotland ever really.  I remember a sclaffed header and a tap in about 18 months ago but I wouldn't be starting someone based on that.

Honestly,  the way people talk about McBurnie and Burke on here, you would think they had flopped  and were playing in League 2 where in reality they are both regulars in EPL and La Liga and under 24 years old.

Yes, both players have probably failed to live up to their inflated transfer fees however neither player is "shite", neither should be written off completely, and neither player have been significantly worse than many of their other Scotland team mates over the years.

9 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Honestly,  the way people talk about McBurnie and Burke on here, you would think they had flopped  and were playing in League 2 where in reality they are both regulars in EPL and La Liga and under 24 years old.

Yes, both players have probably failed to live up to their inflated transfer fees however neither player is "shite", neither should be written off completely, and neither player have been significantly worse than many of their other Scotland team mates over the years.

The whole thing around him "not wanting to play" (which was already blown out of proportion) really did him no favours.  He's already in the camp of "nae really Scottish ken" players that will never be truly taken in by the "footsoldiers".  Ultimately, he hasn't yet put in a performance, or even had any particular moment, that would endear him to anyone who starts off against him.  Miller was maligned, but always turned up and finished with THAT goal against England.  Fletcher was getting pelters, but you saw what it meant to him when he got that goal against Poland.  Chris Martin was routinely used as "that fat f**k you throw on to do...something" but managed to get a few key goals.  McBurnie is yet to do any of that, but he is still young.

I think he'll get one of those performances before long.  A goal - dare I say a winner - in  a full Hampden against Israel, and maybe we'll start to see what he's really capable of.

Not Burke though, he's shite.

the more time passes the more i look at a mcburnie griffiths partnership with more optimism. 

the issues seem to lie in the fact that mcburnie has looked out his depth whenever he has played for scotland. I dont think anyone genuinely believes he is a bad player but there seems to be an incongruence (whether its  because of lack interest, effort or something else...who knows ) between his abilities at club level and international level.

once he scores a goal or 2 im sure the concerns of the fans will evaporate

Edited by greenockraver

2 hours ago, forameus said:

The whole thing around him "not wanting to play" (which was already blown out of proportion) really did him no favours.  He's already in the camp of "nae really Scottish ken" players that will never be truly taken in by the "footsoldiers".  Ultimately, he hasn't yet put in a performance, or even had any particular moment, that would endear him to anyone who starts off against him.  Miller was maligned, but always turned up and finished with THAT goal against England.  Fletcher was getting pelters, but you saw what it meant to him when he got that goal against Poland.  Chris Martin was routinely used as "that fat f**k you throw on to do...something" but managed to get a few key goals.  McBurnie is yet to do any of that, but he is still young.

Not to mention the fact that he's a vile bigot, which both likely directly caused his not really wanting to play episode and drastically extending the unpalatable nature of it.

He's definitely not a bad player, but hasn't done anything good yet either. 

He's just not someone I want playing for Scotland until that changes.

the more time passes the more i look at a mcburnie griffiths partnership with more optimism. 
the issues seem to lie in the fact that mcburnie has looked out his depth whenever he has played for scotland. I dont think anyone genuinely believes he is a bad player but there seems to be an incongruence (whether its  because of lack interest, effort or something else...who knows ) between his abilities at club level and international level.
once he scores a goal or 2 im sure the concerns of the fans will evaporate

And so goes the story of Griffiths too.

our midfield looks the best it’s been for decades - mctominay Christie McGinn McGregor Armstrong Fraser Forrest Gilmour value of these 8 players must be close to 200 million

Add our centre halves to that and it’s closer to 1 million.

12 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

So is Dalglish but we won't be starting him.

I think we have different definitions of brilliant.  I'm not sure Naismith has ever been brilliant in his life (I know Griffiths has) and don't remember him doing anything particularly impressive for Scotland ever really.  I remember a sclaffed header and a tap in about 18 months ago but I wouldn't be starting someone based on that.

Naismith is why we scored two goals against Spain at Hampden, when they were one of the greatest sides ever to play the game. His intelligent movement, especially on the right, pulled their defence all over the place.

He's a more intelligent player than Griffiths, he takes up better positions and makes better choices, while Griffiths is quicker, more athletic and a better finisher. Griffiths relies more on quality players around him than Naismith does. At his best Naismith was miles ahead of the best we've seen from Griffiths.

But I'm with those who say age has caught up with Naismith. There's a case to be made either way and I don't think there are grounds to complain about which gets picked... if either. 

Naismith is why we scored two goals against Spain at Hampden, when they were one of the greatest sides ever to play the game. His intelligent movement, especially on the right, pulled their defence all over the place.
He's a more intelligent player than Griffiths, he takes up better positions and makes better choices, while Griffiths is quicker, more athletic and a better finisher. Griffiths relies more on quality players around him than Naismith does. At his best Naismith was miles ahead of the best we've seen from Griffiths.
But I'm with those who say age has caught up with Naismith. There's a case to be made either way and I don't think there are grounds to complain about which gets picked... if either. 

Also: Steven Naismith - Not A Racist!

Add our centre halves to that and it’s closer to 1 million.

Which is totally bizarre when you think about it do we have the biggest variance in the world between quality of midfield and quality of defence. I’m running through teams and can’t think of many.

50 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Which is totally bizarre when you think about it do we have the biggest variance in the world between quality of midfield and quality of defence. I’m running through teams and can’t think of many.

what are liam cooper and grant hanleys key strengths and weaknesses? 

Edited by greenockraver

2 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Meh. Norway have Halaand up top and Odegaard in midfield but the best they've got at the back is Ajer. Any nation of roughly 5 million people will have a variety in quality, I'm not sure Scotland are particularly unique here (without running through every nation of 5 million).

Meh. Norway have Halaand up top and Odegaard in midfield but the best they've got at the back is Ajer. Any nation of roughly 5 million people will have a variety in quality, I'm not sure Scotland are particularly unique here (without running through every nation of 5 million).

I would love to have ajer at centre back would improve our team.

1 minute ago, skippy2015 said:

I would love to have ajer at centre back would improve our team.

Again, meh. He obviously has potential at 21, but he can be clumsy and erratic and isn't near the top level for me. It also wasn't a question of who would get into our team, the question was about the variance in quality of fairly small international sides. Norway was the first off the top of my head but I'm sure there will be plenty of examples of teams with quality in one position and a dearth in another.

Wales have some right pish that gets to play alongside Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey.

We do seem to be particularly unlucky in having no forwards who can score and no defender who can defend. I'm no expert but I believe those are important attributes in football.