Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

This is by far the biggest issue. Folk can bleat about a fiver here and there all they want but we would have 10k plus more at every game if they were on Saturday afternoons.

Yeah, definitely.  I'm around 10 miles as the crow flies from Hampden, and it's still a fucking ball-ache to get home from a mid-week evening game.  I dread to think what it's like for anyone who lives outside Glasgow or the surrounding areas.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Yeah, definitely.  I'm around 10 miles as the crow flies from Hampden, and it's still a fucking ball-ache to get home from a mid-week evening game.  I dread to think what it's like for anyone who lives outside Glasgow or the surrounding areas.

13 miles for me but as you say getting home midweek is a ballache, especially on public transport. Usually get home about 11.30 - midnight and that's avoiding the queues at Mt Florida.

Someone earlier mentioned A5 being open due to Israel handing tickets back. I notice A4 is open for sale now too. I bought tickets for B4 a few weeks back but have been watching the South upper sales closely and will probably buy there in the middle sections somewhere and sell my previous purchase. View from there is excellent even if the atmosphere won't be as.

Edited by C. Muir

I have bitten the bullet and bought tickets for this. The last time I saw Scotland play was against Greece in the mid 90s. I am taking my son to his first Scotland game and coincidentally my first Scotland game was against Israel in the early 80s. Let’s hope the result is similar.

I have bitten the bullet and bought tickets for this. The last time I saw Scotland play was against Greece in the mid 90s. I am taking my son to his first Scotland game and coincidentally my first Scotland game was against Israel in the early 80s. Let’s hope the result is similar.

That’s what it’s all about, superb stuff [emoji1319]

13 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Email to SSC members yesterday said ‘over 41,000’ tickets have been sold.

I know Scotland have excellent crowds in the grand scheme of things, but I’m genuinely surprised this hasn’t sold out already. It’s our biggest game since Italy in 2007; have some people still not understood how important this game is through not properly understanding the Nations League in the first place, or is it just apathy?

Still plenty of time for the rest of the tickets to go I suppose.

It's a midweek game against very unglamorous opponents who we've played and beaten recently, in a match that can only get us another game away to a team that don't cause any excitement yet will likely beat us. It's still 7 weeks away. That 41,000 figure doesn't include away fans, and based on the ticket sales website I'd say is a gross underestimate in any case.

In their last home qualifier, a game in which they qualified for the finals, Czech Republic got 11,000. Bulgaria got 17,000 for their game against England. Serbia could have qualified the night they played Ukraine, they drew 4,500. Netherlands were 10,000 short of capacity in Rotterdam for their crunch tie against Northern Ireland while Germany were well short of filling their grounds for their final two qualifiers. Switzerland got 25,000 for their last big qualifier, v Ireland, Denmark had 36,000 v Switzerland and Ireland got 44,000 against the same visitors. In Croatia's first qualifier they got 23,000 in a stadium that holds 35,000, and they got just 8,000 for their final qualifier. Spain played in front of crowds of 19,000 and 36,000 in their last two qualifiers.

I could go on and on. Fact is, Scotland are among the very best supported national sides in the world, out of proportion to our size and wildly at odds with our performance levels. Even if we end up a couple of thousand short of sold out it'll still be a huge crowd by any standards. I'm bewildered by the doom and gloom on this.

8 hours ago, forameus said:

I grew up 5 minutes walk from Hampden. For years after I left home my mum still lived there so I would go early and park at her house, then get a cup of tea after the game and miss all the traffic. Since then I've come to appreciate the peculiar shittyness that is getting to and from Hampden on a midweek evening. It's a proper pain in the backside no matter what mode or route you choose.

32 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I grew up 5 minutes walk from Hampden. For years after I left home my mum still lived there so I would go early and park at her house, then get a cup of tea after the game and miss all the traffic. Since then I've come to appreciate the peculiar shittyness that is getting to and from Hampden on a midweek evening. It's a proper pain in the backside no matter what mode or route you choose.

Since moving to Edinburgh from Glasgow I’ve also really come to appreciate how bad it is. I still love Hampden as it will always feel like the home of Scottish football to me, but it’s a right pain in the arse for access.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

England weren't the hardest draw, as evidenced by their abject failure when they actually got to the tournament. Turkey were the best of the teams involved - they got to the quarters of Euro 2000 then the semis of the 2002 WC.

These were cup competitions though, dependent on one-off performances and the luck of the draw.  I think England were better than them in both those tournaments, though not particularly amazing.  

21 hours ago, forameus said:

Public transport certainly doesn't do us any favours, however, for those of us that run buses, its not actually that bad. After the Kazak game on the Tuesday night in Nov, everyone was back on the bus by 10:05, and we had the bus back dropping off in Dunfermline town centre before 11pm. The new motorway has really helped things!

Still, like I say, more joined up thinking required when it comes to public transport. For some folk outside the central belt, the last train leaves before FT!

Anyone thinking about this that doesn;'t want to drive or rely on public transport, ATAC (Association of Tartan Army Clubs) have worked with local clubs and the SFA to pull together a list of supporters buses travelling from around the country to Hampden. If anyone's looking, check out the list and get in touch with your local club. https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/supporters-tickets/supporters-buses/

13 hours ago, GordonS said:

I generally drive to Hampden, after the game I can be back in West Lothian having a cup of tea an hour after the final whistle sounds.  On a decent day traffic wise, can be parked up before the game in 40 mins.  The M74 extension has made a massive difference, also helps to pick your parking spot carefully.

14 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I generally drive to Hampden, after the game I can be back in West Lothian having a cup of tea an hour after the final whistle sounds.  On a decent day traffic wise, can be parked up before the game in 40 mins.  The M74 extension has made a massive difference, also helps to pick your parking spot carefully.

I usually leave the car in Glasgow (parked for work usually) and then walk out and back.  Never been quite brave enough to try and park the car any closer to Hampden.  How close can you actually get?

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

I usually leave the car in Glasgow (parked for work usually) and then walk out and back.  Never been quite brave enough to try and park the car any closer to Hampden.  How close can you actually get?

It's 15 min walk car to turnstyle, and 2 minute drive to the Polmadie M74 junction.