Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

The SFA should be building support amongst other national associations to put pressure on UEFA to ban Russia from the Euros. 

Russia's results from the qualifiers should be annulled and Scotland would then qualify automatically. I fear that UEFA might offer Russia's place to another country.

The SFA should also lobby (with UK Anti Doping) for all the Russian samples from the qualifiers to be retested by WADA or another independent body.

The SFA should be building support amongst other national associations to put pressure on UEFA to ban Russia from the Euros. 
Russia's results from the qualifiers should be annulled and Scotland would then qualify automatically. I fear that UEFA might offer Russia's place to another country.
The SFA should also lobby (with UK Anti Doping) for all the Russian samples from the qualifiers to be retested by WADA or another independent body.
Exactly but they'll be do busy getting fat and drunk on the Tartan Armys cash

5 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

WADA now saying that Russia can apply as a 'neutral' team for the Qatar World Cup...

Presumably the Russian FA can still organise everything and will get any monies the side raises, so it's essentially a case of calling yourself The Russia for a bit. It seems that any national side not pumping their players full of drugs are fools. Hopefully they wear the old USSR kits for the craic.

How come Mexico couldn't compete in the 1990 World Cup as "Northern Central America" then? All they did was stick some over-age players into the squad for the Olympic qualifiers, which nobody gives a shit about anyway.

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Bring back the CIS.

(Constantly Injecting Substances)

f**k yes. Gave us one of our best-ever international results. Russia are long overdue being shit enough for us to beat.

Leaving aside the impact it has on Scotland its shameful for the teams in their qualifying group to have to go up against potential cheats. 
Brings the game into disrepute. 
Everyone's a potential cheat. There's no chance the entire Scotland squad is clean.

The Russian squad is almost entirely Russian based.   I wonder what their drug testing regime is like......

How does drug testing work for Internationals and UEFA club competitions, mandatory every game?

It works out at roughly four players are tested per UEFA match (national teams and club competitions) which can include those on the bench so each player has about a 10% chance of being tested.

A few seasons ago the SFA conducted only eight tests in nine months which includes youth and women's teams. Folk should be careful criticising Russia's policy when ours is an absolute joke.

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It works out at roughly four players are tested per UEFA match (national teams and club competitions) which can include those on the bench so each player has about a 10% chance of being tested.

A few seasons ago the SFA conducted only eight tests in nine months which includes youth and women's teams. Folk should be careful criticising Russia's policy when ours is an absolute joke.

Aye that's why I asked as the SFA are a joke when it comes to drug testing.   I guess that's one way of saying we're clean.

Frankly, I'd be fucking delighted if the SFA got their arses handed to them for incompetency over drug testing. It would be worth missing a tournament or two if it resulted in a total clearout of those c***s. It's not like we'd qualify anyway, and we could start a wee tournament against other blacklisted nations to keep us ticking over.

I think there's still a big difference between the SFA being such a shambolic, disorganised mess that they forget to test players, and the systemic doping that Russia appear to be guilty of.

Can you imagine the SFA running such a system?  They'd get caught picking up the order at Lloyd's Pharmacy in minutes.

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'd expect Uefa to act here tbh. Sporting integrity is on the line. I think, based on this ruling Uefa may kick them out.

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I get the money angle and the St Petersburg game, but if Uefa don't act after this finding then it would be an utter joke and massive taint on sport.

Prepare for an utter joke and a massive taint on an already fucking black sport. 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Everyone's a potential cheat. There's no chance the entire Scotland squad is clean.

Ah well, if everyone might be at it then I suppose we should just forget about severely punishing those who have definitely, 100% been caught cheating on a mass scale, across multiple sports.

I would be absolutely amazed if UEFA took any action against Russia, given they don't have to, and considering football is not among the sports where Russian dopers have been actively caught AFAIA (i.e. failed tests). That's just reality sadly. They're among the bigger forces, have qualified, and are hosting games in 6 months.

It wouldn't hugely surprise if they even play in WC 2022 qualifying under some alternate name in much the way the Soviet Union at Euro 92 became CIS before becoming Russia. "Neutral Team" or similar.

Edited by HibeeJibee

If the Euros aren't big enough to warrant a doping ban, then we should just totally go for it for the playoffs. I'm talking about getting the whole squad coked up on PEDs. Get Lance Armstrong in as a consultant.

Edited by Gaz

I would be absolutely amazed if UEFA took any action against Russia, given they don't have to, and considering football is not among the sports where Russian dopers have been actively caught AFAIA (i.e. failed tests). That's just reality sadly. They're among the bigger forces, have qualified, and are hosting games in 6 months.

It wouldn't hugely surprise if they even play in WC 2022 qualifying under some alternate name in much the way the Soviet Union at Euro 92 became CIS before becoming Russia. "Neutral Team" or similar.
Don't think they be even allowed to even take part that way at all so it's No Russia in Qatar but we never know what could happen if Russia do appeal to CAS