Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

I understand why, but it's mental to me that now Russia (as of now, before any appeal) pretty much can't go play tiddlywinks on the world stage, but aye, hold games and participate in the Euros, guys.  Fire in.

EDIT: And that's completely leaving aside that we may have got upgraded if they got chucked out.  If any nation was in our position, it would be equally fucking mental.

Edited by forameus

I have little doubt they will appeal to CAS and the punishment will be binned. Always seems to be the way of it. 

However... It is ridiculous that the European Championships are not deemed to be an event under the cover of a major organisation. I suppose in a way it's lucky for UEFA as they'd have to punt the Russian teams out the Champions League and UEFA Cup too. 

20 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Scotland have to take this to court.

I imagine they won't, but they should be.  To be honest, more than Scotland should.  A whole country's sporting infrastructure has now been found guilty of doping breaches, that will potentially lead to them not participating in the biggest international tournament in the sport.  And three teams now have to go up against them at the Euros.  Denmark, Finland and Belgium should be similarly concerned, surely?

15 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Wait, UEFA aren't defined as a Major Events Organisation? 

wtaf :rolleyes:

If by some chance, Engerland. win this thing over the summer, I trust that the BBC will remind us all that they have not won a "Major Event"

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:
Not $ur€ if $€riou$

I get the money angle and the St Petersburg game, but if Uefa don't act after this finding then it would be an utter joke and massive taint on sport.

Dzyuba's taint must be absolutely massive, certainly.

It's not even sure that the punishment will even happen, or that FIFA themselves will act on it, let alone UEFA.  WADA have given them their out, and I expect they'll take it.

11 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:
Not $ur€ if $€riou$

I get the money angle and the St Petersburg game, but if Uefa don't act after this finding then it would be an utter joke and massive taint on sport.

A Russian player literally failed a drug test when they beat Wales in the Euro 2004 play-off and they did nothing.

1 hour ago, AllyM said:

If by some chance, Engerland. win this thing over the summer, I trust that the BBC will remind us all that they have not won a "Major Event"

I think we're safe. England occasionally put in a shift at the World Cup, but they almost always put as much effort in at the Euros as the general public do at the Euro Elections.

Anyway, Russian athletes will be competing as neutrals in athletics for a bit - apologies if this has been answered, but is there a possibility of a "totally not Russia, guv, honest" side being entered into the next World Cup qualifiers?

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I think we're safe. England occasionally put in a shift at the World Cup, but they almost always put as much effort in at the Euros as the general public do at the Euro Elections.

Anyway, Russian athletes will be competing as neutrals in athletics for a bit - apologies if this has been answered, but is there a possibility of a "totally not Russia, guv, honest" side being entered into the next World Cup qualifiers?

The way people are talking on Reddit, then yes.  They just couldn't fly the Russian flag, or use the anthem, or probably the kits.  Of course, whether FIFA would be happy to have a team not really affiliated with a federation is another question.  I'd expect not, but then there really isn't much of a precedent for this.

I'm going for a last-minute appeal that sees the Athletics side upheld, but they're allowed to compete for the World Cup.  To the shock of no-one.

Although, on England, imagine if Russia put them out.  Just...close your eyes....imagine it.  Really imagineit.  Ooft.  I'm all for them competing just for the potential of that.