Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

This might seem naive, but aren't they randomly tested for banned substances anyway? Not just at international level, but on club duty too.

Surely it'll be much more difficult for top footballers to get away with, compared to track and field athletes.
Drug testing is a joke in most sports. Serena Williams went two years without being tested out of competition whilst she was world number one. Football is even laxer. There's a long history of doping in football and if you think it's decreased after becoming a billion pound industry then you're pretty naive.

20 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

This might seem naive, but aren't they randomly tested for banned substances anyway? Not just at international level, but on club duty too.

Surely it'll be much more difficult for top footballers to get away with, compared to track and field athletes.

I always imagined that it's like in any industry.  People will be looking for every little avenue they can find to get an edge, some of which are going to be less than legal.  But as long as they're ahead of the curve, they're ok.  By the time the authorities catch up and say "aye, you canny do that", they've either already moved on to the next thing, or they can hold their hands up and quietly move it into the background ready to move on to the next thing.  

6 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We've no room to crow on this front. Figures may have increased recently but SFA conducted just 8 drug tests in first 9 months of 2015-16 (i.e. Jul-Dec... and none were after December).

There were 0 conducted in first 7 months of 2016-17.

Plus that covers all domestic levels not just Premiership.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35776618

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15039663.scottish-football-has-been-drug-test-free-this-season/

3 minutes ago, BlackandGold said:

UEFA have just tweeted VAR is to be used in the play-off games 🤦‍♂️

Good. Wouldn't want to concede a penalty thanks to a horrendous decision like Northern Ireland had two years ago in their WC play-off.

Edited by Ginaro

It's a scourge on football, but this is hardly surprising. I wouldn't be shocked to see it used for the Scottish Cup semis and final given that it's going to be set up at Hampden anyway for this game and the Euros.

Edited by craigkillie

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's a scourge on football, but this is hardly surprising. I wouldn't be shocked to see it used for the Scottish Cup semis and final given that it's going to be set up at Hampden anyway for this game and the Euros.

I can see it going "fine" (in VAR terms) in the playoffs, but if the SFA bring it in and have control...ooooooh wow.

World cup play-off format also decided now.

Ten quali group winners go to the WC. There will be three teams going to the WC through the playoffs. 12 teams will fight for those three spots, with ten quali runners up + two nations league group winners who haven't already qualified. The 12 will be split into three brackets, (single leg semi and final, home team for final decided by draw etc.)

If that had happened with this round of NL/Euro qualifying, Bosnia and Scotland would have been the two NL playoff teams. Seems a bit weird to me. Will probably come down to goal difference to decide who goes from the NL.

Seriously dislike retaining these 1-legged playoffs.

Anyway here's schedule... 2 editions of NL between Euro 2020 & WC 2022 :o!

No warm-ups for WC 2022, btw.

Mar ... Euros playoff SFs & Finals
Jun ... Euro 2020
Sep ... Nations League days 1 & 2
Oct ... Nations League days 3 & 4
Nov ... Nations League days 5 & 6

Mar ... WC qualifying days 1 & 2
Jun ... WC qualifying days 3 & 4 / Nations League finals tournament
Sep ... WC qualifying days 5 & 6
Oct ... WC qualifying days 7 & 8
Nov ... WC qualifying days 9 & 10

Mar ... WC playoff SFs & Finals / Nations League Division C relegation playoffs
Jun ... Nations League days 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 (quadruple-header)
Sep ... Nations League days 5 & 6
Dec ... WC 2022

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 02/12/2019 at 08:38, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They should be but I don't think they are tested on any kind of regular or consistent basis, or they are not tested enough. I think the authorities are too scared because i'd be surprised if many of the top players don't register for something and they simply don't want to know so they don't have to act.

There was a story a while back that Dr Ferrari, who doped up lance Armstrong, had been working with Barcelona (and I think maybe other Spanish teams) and he had frozen blood from them discovered during the investigation. 

I am also aware that there are people who use drugs even at amateur level running, so the idea that most top-level sports aren't rife with it seems absurd. If people will do it for small-time glory and a few hundred quid, what will they do in a sport like football?

So unless they win their appeal, they're banned from World Cup Qualifying starting in March 2021, but in June/July 2020 it's fine, they're not drugs cheats :lol:

The other competing nations should make an issue of this.  We can also draw them in the Nations League starting September 2020.

Edited by Burnie_man

As much as I'd rather we didn't qualify by default, the idea that UEFA aren't a "major event organisation" seems at odds with WADA's own definition thereof:

Major Event Organizations: The continental associations of National Olympic Committees and other international multisport organizations that function as the ruling body for any continental, regional or other International Event.

https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/isccs_april_2018_0.pdf 

Surely UEFA "function as [a] ruling body for [a] continental...Event"?