Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

To qualify for WC 1950 and WC 1954 we only had to finish above Northern Ireland and Wales. To qualify for WC 1986 we only had to finish above Iceland and Wales then beat Australia in a playoff. We could have qualified for Euro 2016 by finishing above Eire, Georgia and Gibraltar: but managed to come 4th. So it's got contenders.

Israel is a tougher draw than Bulgaria but a better draw than Romania and probably Hungary. We did lose away and scrape win at home.

Final being away is tough and having to potentially win in Belgrade especially would be no easy task.

I don't think I'd realised that multiple countries used to be able to qualify from the Home Internationals. You can see why the rest of Europe weren't too chuffed about that. Also liked Turkey's difficult qualifying route in 1950 - a single 7-0 win against Syria  :lol:  It really was still almost an invitational by that point.

Edit: Austria had a play-off against Hungary to qualify in 1954 and shat the bed, withdrawing because they realised the Magyars would wipe the floor with them. You hear a lot about Puskas and his lads, but they must have been pretty fearsome if countries wouldn't even give it a go.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

I don't see how Brown gets back into the squad in the event he makes himself available again - unless he fancies playing at right back. I like Brown and his experience would be useful in the squad but it would be a dangerous tactic to leave out guys like John Fleck, Ryan Jack, Scott McTominey or Kenny McLean, for a player who in all likelihood would return to retirement shortly after the tournament. The aforementioned guys would be well within their rights to say 'shove it' to any future call-up.

22 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Scott Brown back for the Euros if we qualify? 

It's a no from me! 

And me. 

The players who get us there, if indeed we get there, earn the right to play. 

No some has been who's 'retired' twice.  

Edited by Trackdaybob

Scott Brown back for the Euros if we qualify? 
It's a no from me! 

I’m all in. He’s an absolute shitehawk but he’d be our shitehawk. The absolute epitome of a player you hate in the opposition but you’d be delighted to have in your team.

I doubt it’ll happen though.

I don't see how Brown gets back into the squad in the event he makes himself available again - unless he fancies playing at right back. I like Brown and his experience would be useful in the squad but it would be a dangerous tactic to leave out guys like John Fleck, Ryan Jack, Scott McTominey or Kenny McLean, for a player who in all likelihood would return to retirement shortly after the tournament. The aforementioned guys would be well within their rights to say 'shove it' to any future call-up.
100% this. Outside LB the central midfield is our strongest position. He's a good player but he's chosen to retire from Scotland and if we actually manage to qualify then we'd be insane to drop someone who's contributed to that.

If he was a centre half or a RB though it's a different story!

6 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

I wouldn't bring him back because of the message it sends out, but Brown would still walk into the team.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't bring him back because of the message it sends out, but Brown would still walk into the team.

McGregor 

McTominay

Jack

McLean

McGinn

Armstrong 

Fleck

Who is he better than there? I'd give you McLean and at a push Fleck.

It's not necessarily about who he is individually better than, it's about what he brings to every team he's part of, his drive and leadership in a team which is short of it.

I'd argue only McTominay and McGinn are definitely better than him as a footballer too.