Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

1400 if in Norway, 2775 in Serbia if the minimums are adhered to.

Means Norway would go down to 15 or 16 points to begin with (not sure if they've add the 2 recent games yet) and Serbia would go down to 11 or 12.

Not the worst tbh, I think it will go down lower for both of them as there'll be enough folk put off by the short notice of getting to Oslo or Belgrade. 

ETA: We got around 2200 last time we played a competitive game in Norway. 

Yeah I saw that we got 2200 last time, which was also pre-expansion of their stadium. No chance we'll get that if we manage to play them thid time though.

Anyway, losing to Israel would make things a lot less stressful...

8 minutes ago, Estragon said:

No, but it was a mere four days after we effortlessly disposed of a star-studded Ukraine side at Hampden.

The France results are the obvious ones to recall during that campaign, for differing reasons, but the Ukraine game at home was something else. It was a performance the likes of which I hadn't seen before, or have since. We absolutely destroyed them that day.

re your earlier post - I'm not sure "accepting the Kirin Cup" will EVER be an option, no matter what the occasion!

1 minute ago, mozam76 said:

The France results are the obvious ones to recall during that campaign, for differing reasons, but the Ukraine game at home was something else. It was a performance the likes of which I hadn't seen before, or have since. We absolutely destroyed them that day.

re your earlier post - I'm not sure "accepting the Kirin Cup" will EVER be an option, no matter what the occasion!

Was that the one with Brown essentially running a handicap match against their whole team?  Or am I thinking of a different game.  Seem to remember a photo of him with four or five absolutely raging players in front of him, while he grinned like a loon.

Norway haven't qualified for anything since Euro 2000, I wonder if they're as whiny and entitled about it as we are?
Sitting at home right now typing "Typical fucking Norway, Stephen O'Donnell is going to fucking avenge Largs all over our gaffe - not even bothering."
What few comments I can find seem to be discussing how exciting Serbia v Scotland will be, including the comment "jeg tror på Skottland" ("I believe in Scotland" - think that guy might have started on the homebrew early).

3 hours ago, kenny131 said:

Deluded tartan trannies discussing if Brown is coming back if Scotland qualify ha ha ha comedy gold.

Lose the final play off match 4/5 zero in spectacular shite fashion 

Rangers dying in such spectacular fashion really did affect you :lol:

Logged in to see what the reaction was and this was the first post I saw:

image.png.df0a779fb25052024084ea36b57f83dc.png

😄 Avatar and one-word post summed up my initial feelings. But as someone else posted, I'd rather we built ourselves up for a potentially challenging final and proved something to ourselves by winning against a good team. How fragile would confidence be if we horsed two absolute diddies to get to the tournament?

Hoping that people didn't view my earlier post as me thinking we would easily get passed Israel.  I just gave a bit of information about the other 2 teams squads - considering we just played Israel I didn't see the point.

Considering the fact it was 4-4 across the 2 games in the group stage it'll be a very tight match at Hampden.  In their Euro qualifiers they beat Latvia twice and Austria once.  Their last 10 away wins:

Latvia 0 - 3 Israel (hat trick for Zahavi) - 07/06/19 - Euro Qualifier
Liechtenstein  0 - 1 Israel - 06/10/17 - World Cup Qualifier
Albania 0 - 3 Israel (Albania down to 10 men after 15 mins) - 12/11/16 - World Cup Qualifier
Macedonia 1 - 2 Israel - 06/10/16 - World Cup Qualifier
Andorra 1 - 4 Israel - 13/10/14 - Euro Qualifier
Cyprus 1 - 2 Israel - 10/10/14 - Euro Qualifier
Honduras 2 - 4 Israel - 02/06/14 - Friendly
Honduras 0 - 2 Israel - 02/06/13 - Friendly
Northern Ireland 0 - 2 Israel - 26/03/13 - World Cup Qualifier
Luxembourg 0 - 6 Israel - 12/10/12 - World Cup Qualifier

It would be a surprise result if they went to Hampden and won.

Also no idea how they managed to play 2 away friendlies in Honduras in back to back years on the 2nd of June!

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

What's the big obsession with being at home? Hampden is shite.

The only sides that have beaten us at Hampden in competitive matches in the last 14 years are Italy, Wales, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Netherlands and Russia.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

If we are concerned about playing Norway, why would we want to go any further, bigger teams lie ahead.

Lets beat what is put in front of us.

Agreement.

Whilst Serbia and especially Norway of late, are decent sides. Away will make it even tougher than it might have been at home ; but like you said, if we cannot beat them then it was probably for the best anyway. 

We could potentially get a England, France, Portugal. A nightmare scenario but the group's do look tough - not a lot of beatable teams in C barring potentially Austria, Turkey.

Let's see if we can get by Israel first but this has glorious Scotland written all over it. A stonking 3-0 over Israeli, the whole nation dreams become out to a last minute McKenna OG in Belgrade 1-0.

3 hours ago, BlackandGold said:

Reading through this thread, Norway and Serbia are in this path for a reason, because they weren't good enough to get out their group. We're not exactly playing a Netherlands again, this is our best chance to qualify in donkeys! Aw this typical Scottish negativity stinks...

Whilst some of it might be negativity there is of course a sense of realism. Norway have a ridiculously good home record, not losing in 15 games. 

Serbia also have a very good record. 

Our away form speaks for itself. 

Certainly correct in saying this is our best chance to qualify, but to pull it off would be one of the biggest achievements of the National sides recent history. 

Edited by LondonHMFC

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Was that the one with Brown essentially running a handicap match against their whole team?  Or am I thinking of a different game.  Seem to remember a photo of him with four or five absolutely raging players in front of him, while he grinned like a loon.

I daresay Broony did indeed wind up some Ukrainians in that game, but I think the picture you're referring to was when he wound up the Macedonians in the next campaign.

KR-SCOTLAND-V-MACEDONIA78.jpg

Also, in relation to the Ukraine match during the Euro 2008 qualifiers. Here's how the table stood after that win, with two games to go. 

image.png.1ec4a82b862e48f9ceeeb9d0e83d431c.png

Edited by mozam76

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I don't think Brown had even made his debut for Scotland by that point. You'll be thinking of the Macedonia game after he contested a drop ball and won a corner for us.