Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Would they not have been better just having an open draw of the Nation's League group winners that failed in Qualifying?

Host Nations seeded perhaps? It all seems unnecessarily convoluted imo.

When they came up with this whole idea I think someone "went to town" with the notion it could be made so exciting by every little detail counting... In practice it's been taken so far that no regular fan had the faintest idea that finishing position, place in overall ranking, etc. affected seeding for regular qualifying, uplift into incomplete NL playoffs, home advantage in SFs, etc.

You saw the same sort of technocratic overdrive with all the weird regulations they added in about who could play at home in March or November, maximum away kilometres, and so on.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Absolutely no chance we qualify if the final is away. We need it to be at home. Serbia and Mitrovic would tear our defence apart (not that they would need to work hard to do that).

Was sure we would have Bulgaria after Finland qualified. Why the f**k Hungary have now been chucked into the powder keg is beyond me.

I like the idea of the Nation's League but it doesn't really serve a purpose in its current format.

Perhaps running it as a 4 yearly cycle for promotion and relegation, doing away with the European Championship qualification stage entirely, and having the "League A" Nations (in a Finals year, IE 2020/24/28) contest a Finals would work better? 

15 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

Absolutely no chance we qualify if the final is away. We need it to be at home. Serbia and Mitrovic would tear our defence apart (not that they would need to work hard to do that).

Was sure we would have Bulgaria after Finland qualified. Why the f**k Hungary have now been chucked into the powder keg is beyond me.

I know a.CB that would physically handle someone like mitrovic.  I'm telling you losing harrry souttar is.going to cost us qualification for.the euros and I don't understand why there haven't been recriminations against the u19 and u21 managers for.ignoring one of our obviously best prospects to the point we lose him.  In a couple of years when its.been repeatedly rammed.home to everyone how good.he is.maybe that will happen.

Edited by Kuro

44 minutes ago, Kuro said:

I know a.CB that would physically handle someone like mitrovic.  I'm telling you losing harrry souttar is.going to cost us qualification for.the euros and I don't understand why there haven't been recriminations against the u19 and u21 managers for.ignoring one of our obviously best prospects to the point we lose him.  In a couple of years when its.been repeatedly rammed.home to everyone how good.he is.maybe that will happen.

Harry Souttar who didn't get off the bench for Australia in an away qualifier against Jordan last week? THAT Harry Souttar :lol:

Would like to say that the next Nations League, which starts in September 2020 has had a format change.

League A is of 16 Nations (up from 12)
League B is of 16 Nations (up from 12) - Scotland will second seeds in a group.
League C is of 16 nations (up from 15)
League D is of 7 Nations (down from 16) - Will be the Proper Diddy League.

The Top Two Non-Play-off qualifiers for Qatar, will enter the Play-offs for 2022.

This format also means that only the top 3 Leagues will have a Play-off Path for the Euros in 2024. As Germany will automatically qualify as host.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not top from Division A, and top from Division B?

They've left that very vague. Tbf they'll be joining the 10 second placed sides in the playoffs so there's not like there's a set path.

I think for WC Qualifying the Nations League will be there to ensure that it's harder for Italy or the Netherlands to miss out on the World Cup. Obviously this will probably change when the tournament is increased to 48 teams for 2026.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:
3 hours ago, ron said:
Is the draw on tv tomorrow?

Looks like Sky Sports News will be covering it.

Great.

Also often UEFA stream draws live ; so have a peak there.

Looking forward to it. This plus the Euro draw next week genuinely exciting we could ''potentially'' be involved in a tournament.

No idea how true the story is, but if Scott Brown thinks that he can walk back into the Scotland squad if we qualify for the Finals, he can f*** right off.

Aye. He needs to be told to f**k off. Would just encourage more players to do the same.