Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

If a division winner has qualified directly for the Euro's their place goes to the next best ranked team in their league, not division.

Also, Bosnia&Herz can't go up to A as their a division winner. Division winners can't play teams from a higher league.

The only way I could get my head around it all was the NL media briefing (p15 onwards):

https://web.archive.org/web/20180905214902/http://files.footballseeding.com/200002130-9283c937e4/UNL%20media%20briefing%20PDF%20version.pdf
Cheers. I'm almost getting it now. But:
Bosnia are not going to qualify directly, so they have a playoff place from the NL.
So where does NI's playoff place come from?

Bosnia are not going to qualify directly, so they have a playoff place from the NL.
Start by filling in all the play-off spots with group winners who haven't otherwise qualified. You'll see loads of gaps. As soon as there are gaps, they have to be filled by teams who aren't group winners.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
17 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Start by filling in all the play-off spots with group winners who haven't otherwise qualified. You'll see loads of gaps. As soon as there are gaps, they have to be filled by teams who aren't group winners.

I'm gonna start calling you statto

Right now they get their place in the playoffs through the overall ranking. Multiple teams from the same division can both get a playoff place. Same as how Scotland and Israel might face each other in the playoffs despite playing in the same NL division.

Dont know if lists work on mobile but it goes:

1) Pick all NL group winners who haven't directly qualified.

2) If there's any spaces in a playoff path then fill as many as possible with the best ranked teams from the same league (who haven't directly qualified).

3) If there's still spaces left then give them via the overall ranking to the best ranked team/s irrespective of league (who haven't directly qualified). This is where NI come in. There were three spaces left in the League A path and they got one (Israel + Romania got the other two).

4) Just because NI got their place from the empty slot in League A doesn't necessarily mean they will play in the League A playoffs. They will be lumped into a draw with Wales, Slovakia and R.Ireland to see which three stay in the B playoffs and which team fills the spot in A.

Guest DAVIDB69

Was thinking we are playing Bulgaria but we can still get them Israel or Romania if two are bumped into other sections.

A home game against Romania sounds more difficult that the other two

As far as I’m aware the draw where the final will be played is on Friday. So does that mean it could be say scotland v Serbia but in Norway? If that’s the case we have a33% chance of playing at home 33% chance away and 33% chance a neutral venue 🧐

No, the draw will just decide which of the two semi finals will provide the home team for the final. We had the best record of everyone in the group stages, so we get to play the lowest ranked semi finalist (likely Israel), while 2nd seeded Norway host 3rd seeded Serbia

Strange how many random draws there are in this - for deciding home advantage in the final as well as what countries get “bumped up”. You’d think it would be easier to just do it based on where each team finished.

And I’m definitely not just saying that because it would have guaranteed Scotland home advantage in the final...

Edited by eez-eh

Strange how many random draws there are in this - for deciding home advantage in the final as well as what countries get “bumped up”. You’d think it would be easier to just do it based on where each team finished.
And I’m definitely not just saying that because it would have guaranteed Scotland home advantage in the final...
The problem with that is that if we lose the semi then the 4th team ends up getting home advantage over the 2nd/3rd side.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The problem with that is that if we lose the semi then the 4th team ends up getting home advantage over the 2nd/3rd side.

Not necessarily, it could be done the same was as the play-offs here where the highest ranked team in the final gets to host it.

Not necessarily, it could be done the same was as the play-offs here where the highest ranked team in the final gets to host it.
That would be fine if there was a month to plan it, but when the games are 5 days apart it's not practical. At least this way there are only two countries planning for a home game instead of three.

So do we know who we're playing in the playoffs yet?
No.

From what we know just now, assuming UEFA do as expected and try and keep hosts apart + Switzerland beat Gibraltar tomorrow:

If Hungary finish 2nd in Group E then we'll play either Bulgaria or Israel.

If Hungary finish below that then we'll play one of Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary or Romania.

Hoping for Bulgaria or Israel on that basis.

Do wonder of we could try McTominay at CB, as we are weak there and he hasn't been very good in midfield? Plus we have some good players in central midfield.

That's assuming half our players aren't unavailable, like Robertson, Tierney, etc.

Mctominay has one of our best players when he’s played. If we are to drop any midfielder just now it would be McGregor who has underperformed. McKenna and cooper would probably be our first choice centre backs with Robertson LB and Palmer RB.

In games still so far their are to many chances being created by the opposition we are very much reliant at the moment on our opponents not hitting the target or Marshall having a good game which isn’t ideal.

Our team cap wise is very inexperienced but on the bright side Robertson tierney McKenna bates mctominay McGregor Fraser Christie McBurnie McGinn Burke souttar could play together the next 5 or 6 years so with good management expect us to improve year on year. But I’m an optimist lol