Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Thicko question: Northern Ireland have a playoff place for Euro 2020 - how did they get it? Glancing at their nations' League group table shows they lost all 4 games.

Being a Pot A and to a certain extent B team. 

Iceland also lost all four games in their group (scored 1 against 13 - albeit in a group with Switzerland and Belgium) and they will most likely be the only team in the NL A seeding that will need a playoff.

I think I’m right in saying that the Republic of Ireland could’ve lost every single Nations League game, and every single Euro qualifier including against Gibraltar, and yet still have a play-off. Perhaps the same for NI.

The system is of course a nonsense but it’s providing us with our first play-off since Euro 2004, so I don’t think we can complain too much.

Guest DAVIDB69

There is a fair chance wales Northern Ireland north and south will all end in the play off section with Bosnia . So at least we won’t be the only home nation sitting at home next summer if we fail to qualify.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:
12 hours ago, Callum Paterson said:
Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but does anyone know when we find out if we'll be home or away in the playoff final? Thanks! 

11am on Friday. Same time that we find out who we play in the semi-final.

Can see another Kilmarnock/Belgrade situation here!

Being a Pot A and to a certain extent B team. 
Iceland also lost all four games in their group (scored 1 against 13 - albeit in a group with Switzerland and Belgium) and they will most likely be the only team in the NL A seeding that will need a playoff.

I'm still confused.
Looking at Niron's NL group, Bosnia won it, and are currently 5th in their normal qualifying group, so the Bosnians surely get the playoff slot there, no?

Ah, hold on, Bosnia have been pulled up into the 'A' League playoffs haven't they? And because Austria are set to finish at least second in their normal qualifying group they don't need the playoff, so it goes to NIron.

Think I've just answered my own question. Crazy system but I still think the whole thing has been great.

I'm still confused.
Looking at Niron's NL group, Bosnia won it, and are currently 5th in their normal qualifying group, so the Bosnians surely get the playoff slot there, no?

Ah, hold on, Bosnia have been pulled up into the 'A' League playoffs haven't they? And because Austria are set to finish at least second in their normal qualifying group they don't need the playoff, so it goes to NIron.

Think I've just answered my own question. Crazy system but I still think the whole thing has been great.
If a division winner has qualified directly for the Euro's their place goes to the next best ranked team in their league, not division.

Also, Bosnia&Herz can't go up to A as their a division winner. Division winners can't play teams from a higher league.

The only way I could get my head around it all was the NL media briefing (p15 onwards):

https://web.archive.org/web/20180905214902/http://files.footballseeding.com/200002130-9283c937e4/UNL%20media%20briefing%20PDF%20version.pdf

Sportsound spoke about this - something about Romania and UEFA trying to ensure as many host countries as possible got through - it didn’t make sense.

We seem to have gone from two home games to qualify - to one home game and the other maybe at home.

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Sportsound spoke about this - something about Romania and UEFA trying to ensure as many host countries as possible got through - it didn’t make sense.

We seem to have gone from two home games to qualify - to one home game and the other maybe at home.

There has never been a guarantee of two home games - it has always been a draw for the final.

On 15/11/2019 at 23:14, craigkillie said:

Div has a long history of quoting the wrong price and then claiming it's why nobody turned up.

Well they're charging £32 to sit behind the goals on a Tuesday night for a dead rubber against the fourth-lowest ranked UEFA member. £37 for the North Stand. That's surely not good.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Well they're charging £32 to sit behind the goals on a Tuesday night for a dead rubber against the fourth-lowest ranked UEFA member. £37 for the North Stand. That's surely not good.

21 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

No. Seriously?

Those blazers won't pay for themselves, you know......

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:
10 hours ago, GordonS said:

These are not the prices.

It's now £2 less than those prices because you can only collect in person. The prices I gave were the prices when I checked a week ago - £27 and £32, £3 booking fee and £2 postage. 

3 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

They're in a shite situation TBF. £32 would have felt like a snip if it was a case of win and we're through. And they can't lower the price now without shafting the people who bought tickets early.

It would still have been expensive, it really shouldn't be more than £30 for the North Stand. But you're right, the reason they're this price is because they sold packages well in advance and now can't discount, and if we'd been in a position to qualify the place would've been full.

5 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Also for tickets for these games in March do we need to renew membership first?

Yes. I am sure I received an email from the SFA not so long ago saying the play-offs would part of the next two year membership cycle.