Euro 2020 Play-offs

charger29

10 hours ago, Estragon said:

Playoffs taking place on a Thursday/Tuesday it seems.  If anything, UEFA's new approach to fixture scheduling has really brought into sharp focus the extent to which I find Scotland internationals indivisible from extreme boozing, and the pre-planning required for it's aftereffects now I've become ensconced in my mid-30s.

What makes it even better is if we're drawn at home in Final, but lose SFs 5 days prior, then SFA must either refund everyone their Final tickets or fix-up someone... anyone... in a friendly...

Might prove the most expensive Luxembourg or Armenia ticket you'll ever buy...

Edited by HibeeJibee

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They are not going to legally be able to do the latter.

Fair enough... thought UEFA's regulations say hosts must either refund and not play, or arrange an alternative opponent - presumably the latter done by selling tickets under "either/or"?

EDIT: This is the regulation:

The associations that have been awarded with the organisation of the play-off finals, must foresee the option of cancelling the venue at short notice in case of non-qualification for the final, or plan to organise a replacement friendly match at the venue which has been reserved.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Pretty much a certainty we won't be playing Finland now after Bosnia lost tonight against Greece. Means Finland just have to beat Liechtenstein at home to qualify now.

Not understanding the desperation to avoid Norway. Yes they've got a couple of good results the last few days but they've obviously had some poor ones too or they wouldn't be fourth in their group. That being said I wouldn't want to go there for the final if we made it but let's face it, we're going to get at least tough opponent.

Just now, George Parr said:

Seems to me that both the semi final and the final have to be at Hampden for Scotland to have a reasonable shot at qualification. Don’t fancy us beating anyone but the diddiest of diddys away from home.

It's pretty much a certainty the final will have either Norway or Serbia in it now. Absolutely no chance in hell we'll beat Serbia away. Mitrovic would tear our shite defence apart. However If we somehow manage to get our act together to a reasonable standard then I do think we could beat them at home.

10 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Not understanding the desperation to avoid Norway.

Have they not only lost two games in the last two years? Bulgaria and Spain.

In that time theyve beaten Iceland, Slovenia and Bulgaria, drawn with Sweden twice, drawn with Romania, and of course drawn with Spain.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have they not only lost two games in the last two years? Bulgaria and Spain.

In that time theyve beaten Iceland, Slovenia and Bulgaria, drawn with Sweden twice, drawn with Romania, and of course drawn with Spain.

Bloody hell just looked at the table. Didn't realise they'd only lost one match. Too many draws.

So aye, we're pretty fucked then. 😆

Looking at it again I think Hungary are a potential opponent unless they win in Wales as they'll likely be overtaken by Wales or Slovakia (or both) if not.

Given that Switzerland are now likely to edge out one of ROI and Denmark (both are host nations) that would mean 3 host nations in the league C playoffs, 1 in B, and none in A, one of Romania or Hungary would get bumped to A and the other would remain a potential opponent. Another reason to want Wales to lose I guess...

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

What makes it even better is if we're drawn at home in Final, but lose SFs 5 days prior, then SFA must either refund everyone their Final tickets or fix-up someone... anyone... in a friendly...

Might prove the most expensive Luxembourg or Armenia ticket you'll ever buy...

In case of a home draw for the final, I suppose it would make sense to contact the teams in the other semi final in advance to arrange a friendly against whoever loses that one if needed.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

In case of a home draw for the final, I suppose it would make sense to contact the teams in the other semi final in advance to arrange a friendly against whoever loses that one if needed.

There is no way the SFA are going to get away with selling tickets on that basis, I wouldn't have thought. I suppose the demand for home play-off tickets would be high enough that they'd probably sell out even if this was explicitly advertised, but I don't think it would go down well with supporters or the media and there would be a lot of pressure as a result.

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Definitely looking like Bulgaria or Israel for us. No excuses not to beat either of them.

Bulgaria are absolutely dreadful. We should roast them. I still have the fear from the Israel away game, but, again, they should be another routine victory. Big Eck managed it ffs.

An away final against Serbia is making me physically sick. I'd fancy our chances against anyone at a packed Hampden.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Bulgaria are absolutely dreadful. We should roast them. I still have the fear from the Israel away game, but, again, they should be another routine victory. Big Eck managed it ffs.

An away final against Serbia is making me physically sick. I'd fancy our chances against anyone at a packed Hampden.

I'd put our chances of beating Serbia/Norway in a Hampden final at 50/50. We've a reasonable chance, nothing more.

An away final = certain eliminiation. 

General question but as it stands wales would be bumped into route a, bit Northern Ireland who performed worse would get an easier route? Is that correct? Also romania or someone would be bumped up too possibly to make numbers up. I suppose it technically makes the route easier for nations league group winners but it seems harsh on the likes of wales.