Dundee U.T.D. v Queens

Hopefully the break will have done us good we wil hopefully have a full squad except for Aird 

Dundee U.T D.  have had 3 good wins so will be really confident going into this game if Queens can somehow get a point it would be a great result 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly confident the break will have done us good.  If for no other reason than it would be difficult for us to be much worse than we've been latterly.

That being said though, this is as hard a game as you can get at this level so I expect things to get worse before they get better.  We have struggled against United even when they have been going through their own sticky patches, so I don't hold out much hope of getting something now they appear to be semi-competent.  I think we have been guilty of playing "the name" in the past and showing United too much respect when the likes of Dumbarton were going to Tannadice and winning.  After having a decent record when they first came down, it feels like The Terrors now have the upper hand over us and I don't recall us getting much from our trips to Tayside (except when we played the "wee team").

We'll no doubt look to sit in and hit the hosts on the counter but as they seem  to have discovered a new found ability to grind out results I don't see it being a successful tactic.  If our defence holds firm (lol) then it might be a narrow victory for United.  If they get an early goal it could be a trouncing.

Decided to take a look and it is as I remember.  https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2090&team2_id=740&teamTabs=h2h

2016/17

League -  2 draws and a win each

Challenge Cup - United win

2017/18

League - 2 wins apiece

2018/19

League - 3 United wins

Over that period we have one win, two draws and two defeats at Tannadice.

Has Martin served his one game suspension?  The Ayr game was off and we can hardly call a closed doors bounce game against Hearts a competitive game so shouldn't count.  Whichever keeper plays I'm sure we will continue to have problems with crosses into the box.  I know our new assistant manager Ellis was out of the picture latterly at United but hopefully he can  provide a bit of background knowledge which we can exploit.  Probably another game where we play well in the  second half,   chasing the game,  after giving the opposition too much room and possession in the first half. 

Is this the game where we f**k it up?  I hope not.

I’d like to see us play with the same intensity as last night but with a lot more composure.  Also we cannot afford to keep squandering chances.

Has Martin served his one game suspension?  The Ayr game was off and we can hardly call a closed doors bounce game against Hearts a competitive game so shouldn't count.  Whichever keeper plays I'm sure we will continue to have problems with crosses into the box.  I know our new assistant manager Ellis was out of the picture latterly at United but hopefully he can  provide a bit of background knowledge which we can exploit.  Probably another game where we play well in the  second half,   chasing the game,  after giving the opposition too much room and possession in the first half. 

Given the club rather than the football authorities imposed it then it will be up to QOS how the suspension is done. Martin can play if picked.
Like others I’m not confident about this (any) game. Tough ask but hardly mission impossible.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Given the club rather than the football authorities imposed it then it will be up to QOS how the suspension is done. Martin can play if picked.
Like others I’m not confident about this (any) game. Tough ask but hardly mission impossible.

I'm not bothered which keeper plays,  I've equal confidence in the "ability"  of both of them, but it seems a pointless punishment, and merely a token gesture by the club,  if the suspension is not seen to be imposed.  FWIW,  I think the apology from  Martin would have been sufficient. 

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm not bothered which keeper plays,  I've equal confidence in the "ability"  of both of them, but it seems a pointless punishment, and merely a token gesture by the club,  if the suspension is not seen to be imposed.  FWIW,  I think the apology from  Martin would have been sufficient. 

Yep I'd agree with all of that. 

You'd think the club would want the suspension over and done with quickly rather than have it hanging over the players head, serve the punishment , move on.

Any sort of result would be ideal here. A win against Hearts last week (albeit a friendly win), and then the Hall of Fame dinner will have hopefully boosted morale’s a bit before tomorrow.

Wouldn’t be adverse to Wilson and Jacobs again, no creativity, but we’ll likely play to hit them on the counter. I reckon GN will go:

Martin?
Mercer Maguire Brownlie Marshall
Doyle Wilson Jacobs Todd
Dobbie
Dykes

I remember beating United away last season without Dobbie (albeit under László), but hitting them on the counter Dykes was absolutely immense.

1 hour ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Any sort of result would be ideal here. A win against Hearts last week (albeit a friendly win), and then the Hall of Fame dinner will have hopefully boosted morale’s a bit before tomorrow.

Wouldn’t be adverse to Wilson and Jacobs again, no creativity, but we’ll likely play to hit them on the counter. I reckon GN will go:

Martin?
Mercer Maguire Brownlie Marshall
Doyle Wilson Jacobs Todd
Dobbie
Dykes

I remember beating United away last season without Dobbie (albeit under László), but hitting them on the counter Dykes was absolutely immense.

Dykes was superb that night. For me the key player was Joe Thomson. He scored two, one of which was an absolute screamer, and did brilliantly from box to box all night. 

Josh Todd also started  in his first match for us on loan from St Mirren and did very well on left in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Leighfield was in goals.

Sitting in and hoping to counter hasn't worked for us in 8 games now. If we go with the same system tomorrow we'll absolutely get beat. Actually attempting to take the game to Utd may also result in a defeat but at least we know we are capable going forward so I'd prefer we tried. Our biggest weakness is our defending so I find it baffling that our approach relies so heavily on being able to defend for long periods.

55 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Sitting in and hoping to counter hasn't worked for us in 8 games now. If we go with the same system tomorrow we'll absolutely get beat. Actually attempting to take the game to Utd may also result in a defeat but at least we know we are capable going forward so I'd prefer we tried. Our biggest weakness is our defending so I find it baffling that our approach relies so heavily on being able to defend for long periods.

Very much this, echos my  thoughts exactly.  The last few games - 1st  half -  we've sat back giving the opposition too much space and before you know it the defence is under pressure and we invariably go behind.  The Manager seems to wait until we're chasing the game before switching to a more attacking set-up. There's no problem playing a containing game if the midfield and defence can cope but results show its not working out that way for us. I appreciate that the absence of certain players may dictate tactics but when the same set of  players can switch from being defensive in the 1st half  to actually putting the opposition under sustained spells of pressure in the 2nd half shows it must be the Manager choosing to play the way which has cost us goals. 

I couldn’t agree more.

GN seems to have brainwashed a lot of supporters into thinking that a “defensive”line up that potentially has Doyle in RM is somehow the way forward. If 7 consecutive defeats isn’t enough to convince people that we have a major tactical problem then I don’t know what is.

This is not a great time for this fixture to fall - United chasing down County on the back of some good results. We cannot allow ourselves to think that this fixture is “mission impossible” - it is tough but like every other game in this unpredictable league........... winnable with the right attitude and a monumental effort from the players.

Archived