East Region League Cups

Kicker Conspiracy

Does anyone know whether the format of the East Region League Cups (aka the Thorntons East Region League Cup and the Consolation League Cup) has been announced anywhere? All 36 clubs left in the East Region after the mass defection were divided into twelve sections of three clubs at the beginning of the season: teams played the other teams in the section twice, giving four matches for each team. This stage has recently finished, with the 12 group winners continuing to the next round, and the 24 other teams being punted into the Consolation Cup. So far so good, but now things get a bit murkier.

I thought I had seen that the League Cup was going into a second group stage, but can't find any details  on the East Region website (4 groups of 3 teams? Teams playing each other once or twice?) What is the makeup of the groups? Presumably then the four winners of this stage would go into semi-finals? 

I haven't found anything about the Consolation Cup, except that a couple of fixtures have been announced for 6 April (Arbroath Vics - Forfar Albion and Bathgate-Whitburn). Are these 24 teams playing in another group stage as well? If so, how many groups (4 x 6 teams, 8 x 3 teams?) and who is in them? How many subsequent rounds are there (quarters? straight to semis?) Or is the consolation cup a knockout with 8 ties and 8 byes?

Whatever it is, there are going to be a lot of games to cram into May and June to get these cups finished!

Tayport have been drawn in a section with Forfar West End and Blairgowrie in the Consolation Cup which is contested by those clubs eliminated at the initial stage of the Thornton's Property League Cup. The clubs will play each other home and away with the section winners going on to the knock out stage.

The Thomsons Property East Region League Cup comprises of 12 sections with three teams in each section.  The teams play each other home and away with the 12 winners progressing to the second group stage. The second group stage comprises of the 12 winners in groups of three with the four group winners progressing to the semi-finals.

For the teams falling out after the first group stage there will be a Consolation Cup.  The 24 teams will be in eight sections of three teams with the eight winners of each group progressing to the quarter finals

Easy to do the Math in terms of each team has a minimum of 4 more games.  Maximum is 7 for the Consolation finalists.

Lochee Utd in theory are looking at another 6 games in this.  11 League Games.  2 Junior cup semis  etc

I reckon they will have 20 games still to play.  Tayport as a counter example have only 4 more league games and this cup.

Off the top of my head heres some more groups.

Winners groups

Broughty Carnoustie Downfield

Lochee Utd East Craigie  Kirriemuir 

Fauldhouse Armadale  Thornton Hibs

Pumpherston Livingston Kinnoul

Consolation cup  groups

Stoneyburn Harthill West Calder

Whitburn Rosyth Bathgate

Kirkcaldy Newburgh Glenrothes

Lochore Lochgelly Kennoway

Tayport Forgar WE Blairgowrie

Arbroath Vics Brechin Vics  ?????

Not sure of the rest

9 hours ago, pumphy_man said:

Off the top of my head heres some more groups.

Winners groups

Broughty Carnoustie Downfield

Lochee Utd East Craigie  Kirriemuir 

Fauldhouse Armadale  Thornton Hibs

Pumpherston Livingston Kinnoul

Consolation cup  groups

Stoneyburn Harthill West Calder

Whitburn Rosyth Bathgate

Kirkcaldy Newburgh Glenrothes

Lochore Lochgelly Kennoway

Tayport Forgar WE Blairgowrie

Arbroath Vics Brechin Vics  ?????

Not sure of the rest

Cheers! 

Arbroath Vics and Forfar Albion are playing next week (6 Apr), so they are surely in the last group with Brechin. That leaves: Coupar Angus, Scone, Lochee Harp, Dundee Violet, Luncarty and Dundee NE in the last two groups, in some configuration or other.

Archived